What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 R25 Fri - Parramatta 6-40 Penrith @ Cbus Super

Round 25: Parramatta v Penrith

• Parramatta Eels

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Penrith Panthers

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pantherz9103

First Grade
Panthers will win the minor premiership than lose to manly week 1 and go out in. Straight sets
We don't fear Manly. We've already beaten them twice this year, including once against Turbo in Bathurst. We still haven't lost a match all season when at or close to full strength either.

I still expect to play Souths anyway though because the team Storm have named is surely good enough to beat Cronulla.

big hit!

Bench
It’s more important to prevent injuries and get fresh legs than relying on a nuffy team to beat Manly who are not to roll over and give up their top 4 spot. The Western Bulldogs have won the competition from 7th spot in the AFL and the Cowboys made the grand final from 8th so being in the bottom half of the 8 doesn’t make it mission impossible.

Delve a little deeper than just looking at Footscray winning from 7th, Footscray finished the regular season only 2 wins off the minor premiers that year. Like Parra, they were in the top 4 for most of the season until a mini-form slump hurt that goal, but there wasn't much difference between 1st and 7th that season.

In contrast, Parra will be between 4 to 6 wins below Melbourne, Penrith, and Souths by the end of the weekend. These 3 teams are clearly head and shoulders above the rest unlike the 2016 AFL season. I'd include Manly in that too because they didn't turn up for the first month of the comp. They've won just as many games as Melbourne, Penrith and South since April.

Parra can pull off a win against the teams above them. But they won't put 3 together to win the premiership. They've shown they don't have that consistency.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
hope the game ends early, some of our players will need to get to bed before Big Dog comes on

big hit!

Bench
I’m with @Valheru

Why on earth would you not try and go for a Top 4 finish, with a chance of two bites of the cherry?

4th is out of Parra's control. They can field a full-strength squad v Penrith, get into a bruising contest, and for what? Lose and push the needle further into the red before finals? Or win and waste energy for 24 hours hoping for Cowboys beat Manly?

They've had the toughest finish to the season of all teams. Played Easts, Souths, Manly, (Cowboys), Melbourne and Penrith in the last 6 weeks, and then head into a finals series where they will need to play 3 or 4 of those teams again to win the whole thing.

Finishing 6th and rested:
EF v Newcastle; SF v Souths/Penrith; PF v Melbourne/Manly

Finishing 4th and unrested:
QF v Melbourne; SF vs Manly; PF v Penrith/Souths

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Getting ready for tonight, we got dis!!!

Dork Bald Guy GIF - Dork Bald Guy Hey Hey GIFs

mozza91

Coach
If a full strength Penrith don’t put 50 on that Parra side they should be immediately deregistered from the NRL.

Valheru

Coach
4th is out of Parra's control. They can field a full-strength squad v Penrith, get into a bruising contest, and for what? Lose and push the needle further into the red before finals? Or win and waste energy for 24 hours hoping for Cowboys beat Manly?

They've had the toughest finish to the season of all teams. Played Easts, Souths, Manly, (Cowboys), Melbourne and Penrith in the last 6 weeks, and then head into a finals series where they will need to play 3 or 4 of those teams again to win the whole thing.

Finishing 6th and rested:
EF v Newcastle; SF v Souths/Penrith; PF v Melbourne/Manly

Finishing 4th and unrested:
QF v Melbourne; SF vs Manly; PF v Penrith/Souths
It is partly in their control. If they lose it is impossible, if they win it is possible, as simple as that.

You forgot a possibility as well. If they finish 4th it could be:

QF v Melbourne, rest, PF v Penrith/Souths/Roosters/Knights

I am not going to argue for a second that it is unlikely they beat storm but it is one thing for us fans to think it, it is entirely different for the team to think it. If they believe finishing 4th means no rest in week 2 then they have already been beaten and may as well forfeit their finals spot.

yobbo84

First Grade
I think the Eels resting players is to keep them confident for the finals after a solid win last week. They wouldn't beat the Panthers even at full strength, and Manly will win their match by 40, so they'll miss the top 4 anyway and it's better for them to go into the finals without their best players suffering the dejection of a big loss.

I mean that's the only reason I can think of. They're basically consigning themselves to 6th otherwise and will have to defeat Newcastle (which they will), and then play Souths. And we have the absolute wood over them lately.

Bald Arthur's selections being compared to flogball, that's the ultimate insult.

Hey Greeny,

I've got the place to myself tonight - all my jobs done and the fridge is stacked... Don't fancy a movie or Netflix but knackered after a big day n happy to park my arse on the lounge for the evening...

I'm up for the cricket but doesn't start til later tonight..

Might make a comeback mate, whattayareckon?

Bazal

Post Whore
I've actually never been so relaxed before an Eels game. I should check my scalp

roofromoz

First Grade
Matty would take a big steaming dump somewhere and Fox League would turn it into a 2 hour special.