What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

Mickthedragon

Juniors
If he is looking for an upgrade, sorry but he's not worth it. He went well early in the year for a few games and in the blue jersey but that's about it. Since the origin series he has been bog average in fairness. His leadership would be a loss though.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Sims is probably on big $$$ and is 33 years old. Probably not worth the money he is after. He also is a machine in SOO and plays pretty ordinary for the dragons. He’s always getting in trouble for his high tackles. He is the definition of the term looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. We were absolutely useless this year. Our forwards were soundly beaten week in and week out. I have no issue with Sims getting told to look elsewhere.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Some pretty explosive comments about Tariq on here.

Firstly, he's contracted for 2022, where he will be 32 years old before the kick off to the new season.
He's been given permission to look around as he won't (at this stage) be re-signed after next season. He'd be then 33 before a ball is kicked on 2023.

So, the situation is, IF he can secure a "longer" term deal then he has permission to ask for release.

Tariq has been a tenacious and very valuable player for the Dragons, however, the signs of wear and tear are now obvious.

Every star will eventually lose its brightness, and unfortunately for Tariq, it is what we are seeing.

The second point here is, IF he choses not to look around and try to reclaim his dominant form in '22, then the ball is in his court. It's a roll of the dice however.

Thirdly, a 33 year old in the 'twilight' of his career wouldn't expect a salary even half what he's on now. So, if a suitor, was willing (and that's more likely ESL and join once again with his brother) to give him a 3yr deal at 500k, he would be silly not to take it.

So, in retrospect, the Club is doing Tariq a huge favour, firstly to secure his future and secondly give him an option to try and have a blinding '22.

With the signing of Sua, the rumoured chasing of Nuikora, the improving form of Burns, and the emerging talent of our own O'Ofou and Sherab, Tariq needs to make a decision, not us make a decision for him.

Saint Pedro

Juniors
Would miss seeing the big fella but in all honesty, he doesn’t have great games often at all. Origin, true, 2018 semi final, but he is not an elite second rower anymore. Burns, bird and Sua would be much better out wider and Tariq, really should be pushed into prop rotation to move forward. It’s not his mind, it’s his battered body these days. Will truly miss him at the end of the day.

Sims is probably on big $$$ and is 33 years old. Probably not worth the money he is after. He also is a machine in SOO and plays pretty ordinary for the dragons. He’s always getting in trouble for his high tackles. He is the definition of the term looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. We were absolutely useless this year. Our forwards were soundly beaten week in and week out. I have no issue with Sims getting told to look elsewhere.

"probably"..

"a machine" - yes. Especially in SOO. He's an aggresssion/impact player.

Tarzan/Jane - off the mark. Bloke plays enormous at SOO level. The bloke is a weapon in the right circumstances. It's our club that's the problem, and its guys like him we need to allow to play to their strengths, not expect him to drag us from bog ordinary to ok...

I didnt see him asking for big / same $$ as whatever he is getting. More an opportunity for a longer contract. A guy at his stage of their career would naturally be looking for some clarity around his final years.

Is Tariq the problem at the Dragons this season? Is replacing him going to improve our team? And replace him with who?

When we actually were winning games it this year it was because of the aggression like him. He's not the guy who should be expected to turn pigshit into strawberry jam. But then again who can - all our other forwards are like pillows with feet. He's one of the few who can actually have in impact...

But yeah - lets keep Alvaro, McCullough, Burns, Plod, Plod McPlod, Some other bloke, sign a busted Burgess, a few more beige folk...

The Dragons aren't so much red & white as two shades of Beige. Losing a guy like Sims would make us a very strong Beige.

The Beige V.

Last edited:

Nicholas Kosic

Juniors
"probably"..

Tarzan/Jane - off the mark. Bloke plays enormous at SOO level. The bloke is a weapon in the right circumstances. It's our club that's the problem, and its guys like him we need to allow to play to their strengths, not expect him to drag us from bog ordinary to ok...

I didnt see him asking for big / same $$ as whatever he is getting. More an opportunity for a longer contract. A guy at his stage of their career would naturally be looking for some clarity around his final years.

Is Tariq the problem at the Dragons this season? Is replacing him going to improve our team? And replace him with who?

When we actually were winning games it this year it was because of the aggression like him. All our other forwards are like pillows with feet.
From granite 2 months ago to pillows now

Yow

Juniors
Bring back John Fifta you know alot how everyone is playing for someone who is not watching the game. I hope Tariq does stay but none of us know what his manager is asking,Also plenty of clubs tell players explore your options and we will talk after that, Also this from Roosters publicity officer on 9 who loves to make things a bigger drama than what it is,

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Not liking the sound of this. Yes he's a bit hot and cold but he's still a very good player, an experienced hand and he can turn it on in the big matches. This club has trouble attracting any players of quality. Why would you get rid of Sims? Also, if the rumoured contract of $800k a season for deBelin is true, why wouldn't Sims be asking for $750k?

blacksafake

First Grade
I'll be upfront ..

I've not watched a Dragons game since the win v Broncos. SOO 3 was the last league game I've watched this year - although decided to have a look tonight at Panthers Eels..

That said..

The games I did see - the first half of the season - Tariq Sims "was back". Played busted last year but he was an absolute presence in most, if not all, games. He dead set earned a spot in the Blues team - and was close to MOTM in the first 2.. played out of his skin...

So what has happened since then... that has "warranted" this call by the club to let him seek other options...

Some players have a bad attitude, cancerous - Sims is not that...
Some players are just too old and off the pace in their twilight years - Sims is not that.. SOO is proof..
Some players just aren't worth the value of their contract.. That's debatable.. But at the back end of someones career they may play for less... is it about money with Sims? It would appear not...

Sims is an absolute impact player to me. A weapon. How can someone who absolutely stood out at such a high level (SOO) not be worthy of keeping at the club....

I don't think he's off the pace but if he is - you play him less minutes... Much like Mitchell Johnson in the 2013 ashes...He may not be the long distance player he was so play in furious bursts..

FFS wasn't he made captain recently?

If indeed this is true - Unless they are freeing up money to lure an absolute superstar to the club (there's more chance of me landing on the moon that that right now) then I'm abhorred by the call. More likely they are looking to sign more plodders who are so grateful for a chance they'll respect Griffin for helping them - thus he "keeps the room".

Club has lost the plot
Let me start bbjf that I’m a fan of him but he’s become very cumbersome.

Not sure why but he does have some miles on his legs so just maybe it’s catching up.
His performances since origin have been particularly underwhelming.

Normally when a player backs up after an origin game especially when winning they put in.
He was unsighted each time & recently has been poor. His first game as captain he ran for less than 50 metres & wasn’t much better last week.
For me if he’s there next year he’s a bench player.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Tariq is a good player & a proud Dragons player that hit his peak in 2018 being voted the Dragons player of the year.

Unfortunately, the combination of the ex Peanuts Power game & injury have really affected his ability to play at a consistent level.
I know he’s only 31 & possibly has a few more years in him, but the battering looks to be taking a toll on a forward that usually plays the full 80 minutes.

It’s time for future planning and what’s best for Club & Tariq.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
"probably"..

When we actually were winning games it this year it was because of the aggression like him. He's not the guy who should be expected to turn pigshit into strawberry jam. But then again who can - all our other forwards are like pillows with feet. He's one of the few who can actually have in impact...

But yeah - lets keep Alvaro, McCullough, Burns, Plod, Plod McPlod, Some other bloke, sign a busted Burgess, a few more beige folk...

The Dragons aren't so much red & white as two shades of Beige. Losing a guy like Sims would make us a very strong Beige.

The Beige V.
Some pretty explosive comments about Tariq on here.

Firstly, he's contracted for 2022, where he will be 32 years old before the kick off to the new season.
He's been given permission to look around as he won't (at this stage) be re-signed after next season. He'd be then 33 before a ball is kicked on 2023.

So, the situation is, IF he can secure a "longer" term deal then he has permission to ask for release.

Tariq has been a tenacious and very valuable player for the Dragons, however, the signs of wear and tear are now obvious.

Every star will eventually lose its brightness, and unfortunately for Tariq, it is what we are seeing.

The second point here is, IF he choses not to look around and try to reclaim his dominant form in '22, then the ball is in his court. It's a roll of the dice however.

Thirdly, a 33 year old in the 'twilight' of his career wouldn't expect a salary even half what he's on now. So, if a suitor, was willing (and that's more likely ESL and join once again with his brother) to give him a 3yr deal at 500k, he would be silly not to take it.

So, in retrospect, the Club is doing Tariq a huge favour, firstly to secure his future and secondly give him an option to try and have a blinding '22.

With the signing of Sua, the rumoured chasing of Nuikora, the improving form of Burns, and the emerging talent of our own O'Ofou and Sherab, Tariq needs to make a decision, not us make a decision for him.
I agreed with everything you said until “the improving form of Burns” Ha…in all seriousness, I can’t fault the club this time for letting him go. It’s not like he’s in the prime of his career. It’s not like we’re telling Sloan, Sullivan or Amone to look else where. Sims is 33 years old, at the end of his career. He’s been given 1 more year. They’re doing him a favour to let him know early.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
"probably"..

The Beige V.
The bloke plays enormous at SOO level I agree. So where is that same Sims when he puts on the red V? He has a SOO type game for the dragons maybe once a year. I know Sims isn’t the entire problem. But he is part of the problem. I know it’s not his job to carry the team. But if he actually played like he did in SOO for us on a more regular basis, then I would be questioning why we’re letting him go. Apart from a few of the young blokes in this team, there isn’t anyone on the roster that is a player we must keep. We have been abysmal for the past 10 years, and a roster shake up is what we need.

Trifili13

Juniors
Lets assume the numbers thrown around here of Sims being on $700k per season or thereabouts. Do you resign a forward who is on that money that will be 32 or do you use that money and target a young hard running forward from another club? The press was saying that Haas was recently upgraded to $750k and is considered one of, if not the best front rowers. That's similar money to Sims. Not saying to go get Haas, just using him as an example. And I am sure there would be plenty of other good young forwards on say $500k where you offer 600 to 700k to attract them. To be successful you must take away the sentimentality of the player being a good club servant. Give them an ambassadorial job or part of the coaching group if you must to look after them. Let them read the sports results on WIN TV.

It's a young man's game and few forwards once they get to the other side of 30 after all the wear and tear are able to perform at the same standard that they used to.

mobels

Juniors
Classic overreaction from this forum yet again.

Sims will be 33 by the time the 2023 season begins and has had a long history of major leg injuries to both his legs. He’s simply not worth the money he’d be looking for in his next contract, the 600-750k per year that he’d be after would be much better spent on a younger back rower from another club. Or better yet a marquee front rower which IMO the club is in desperate need of to be contenders.