What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 vs Bunnies (Goodbye Corey)

Dragon David

First Grade
Totally agree, everything comes off the back of our lack of forwards. We spend most games coming off our line making barely any metres which gives the opposition good ball regularly and eventually results in tries, repeat sets and mistakes which all result in possession swings. This takes all the gas out of our tank which compounds things further. Add to that on the very rare times we have a chance for a good kick or the end of set Norman takes the wrong option 9 times out 10.
I think that following magic round and then the bbq incident, our guys aggression and confidence just died in the bum and they have played under immense pressure to perform which made things worse for them and resulted in losing the last 8 games. Not having Ben Hunt for the last 8 games did not help as well. However, I cannot forgive the players for putting in such a lame performance last night against the mostly reserve grade Bunnies team - so bad. When players lose in this way, confidence hits rock bottom - fancy having this on your conscience - losing to reserve grade team. Just imagine next year's Charity Shield game!!

TruSaint

Referee
E-evK1qXoAUO68R

Hard Yards

Juniors
Last nights effort made some of the football played under McGregor actualy look very good. A reserve grade Souths team and we amble along..just, it highlights the gulf between the football of the top teams and the V.
Some hard decisions need to be made at an executive and head coaching level, otherwise the same rot will continue next year.

Mojo

Bench
Without doubt the worse season ever that I can recall in the over half century that I have followed the Big Red V .

The players and coach have a lot of soul searching to do over the off-season . They must come back next year as a team that have the will to win and not drop their bundles when points are scored against them .

Big relief that we no longer need to worry about how things could possibly be worse - as they have done it all this season.
They say the darkest hour is right before the dawn (which isn’t true but let‘s hope the sentiment applies). It’s been bad for a long time now. This season has been appalling and embarrassing. Trying desperately to understand and justify team selections and player exits and signings, just hoping an improvement emerges. I find myself repeatedly asking myself “What the hell are we doing? This is the great Saint George rugby league club seemingly shedding talented footballers and recruiting pretty average players who are nearing retirement“. To me the strategy looks awry. I don’t think culture change can be achieved by hiring and firing. Culture - that is passion and belief - is a function of leadership. I don’t believe it’s a long-term agenda either. I’m worried indeed; we can’t just dump the ‘Red V‘ culture. We need leaders (ie; coaching team) who are great man-managers. Look at the coaches of the top 4 teams, for example. PS: top 5 even.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Last nights effort made some of the football played under McGregor actualy look very good. A reserve grade Souths team and we amble along..just, it highlights the gulf between the football of the top teams and the V.
Some hard decisions need to be made at an executive and head coaching level, otherwise the same rot will continue next year.
McGregor never coached a side as depleted as we are. Once Benji went off we started coming back. It’s no coincidence. This is the weakest pack we have ever had as a JV. Hunt is out, both our hookers are out. Our strike centre and goal kicker is out. We still could have beat them but let’s not pretend Mary would have done any better.

mickeylane

Bench
Totally agree, everything comes off the back of our lack of forwards. We spend most games coming off our line making barely any metres which gives the opposition good ball regularly and eventually results in tries, repeat sets and mistakes which all result in possession swings. This takes all the gas out of our tank which compounds things further. Add to that on the very rare times we have a chance for a good kick or the end of set Norman takes the wrong option 9 times out 10.
One thing Billy Slater said last night that rang true...is for a team to move forward upfield quickly - it's forwards must all demonstrate intent and purpose...the problem we have is that in any one set of 6 only 1-2 players will show intent and invariably last night it was JDB, and on some occasions Mcguire and Sims ...all the rest are plodding especially golden boy Lawrie...FFS send him to the UK....need a fearsome front-rower or a damaging running backrower still...I actually like Daniel Lane from Parra even though he's contracted and I think Marty Tapau for 2 seasons would work nicely ..

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
One thing Billy Slater said last night that rang true...is for a team to move forward upfield quickly - it's forwards must all demonstrate intent and purpose...the problem we have is that in any one set of 6 only 1-2 players will show intent and invariably last night it was JDB, and on some occasions Mcguire and Sims ...all the rest are plodding especially golden boy Lawrie...FFS send him to the UK....need a fearsome front-rower or a damaging running backrower still...I actually like Daniel Lane from Parra even though he's contracted and I think Marty Tapau for 2 seasons would work nicely ..
Lawrie was our best prop though last night by far, he made more meters and post contact meters than anyone, took the most hit ups had two tackle busts. He’s far from our problem. He and JDB were leading the line speed every time I watched. I watched it on fox, maybe 9 shows different camera angles, because we must be watching a different game? Either way stats don’t lie. He’s also playing with an injured wrist.

Old Timer

Coach
Are you still a staunch supporter of Hook?
At this time yes I am

In saying that I have taken the following into consideration

1. He inherited a poor roster
2. Some players were in the Mary camp and some in the Dean Young camp and with both exiting hard for Hook to get and maintain traction
3. Some of the playing group had bigger egos than there ability, some had a laissez faire attitude firmly entrenched by 8 years of total incompetence in the coaching ranks
4. The JDB saga and the Mc Innes injury then exit fiasco incredibly destabilising and presented / created major holes in the roster
5. The lack of 2nd tier comp made the transition for the youngsters much harder than would have been in visages at the start of the campaign
6. Injuries to key 1st graders and also transitional players was pivotal in certain positions being totally under strength
7. Fair to say what the refs & judiciary handed out to us compared to others was farcical and basically season ending
8. The bbq and subsequent fallout beggared belief and no doubt any team with any issues of attitude, discipline, poor rosters was always going to do it very tough under all the issues facing teams playing under all the Covid restrictions and tbh Hook was never going to get that all under control with all that he inherited.

On moving forward
1. Hook has had a clean out and is shaping the roster & culture for the next period
2. He has been involved with recruitment and some good players signed thus far hopefully a few more coming
3. Had a chance to get some football into the next generation and there is obvious promise there
4. Hook has not succumbed to paying overs and holding on to players through sentimentality
5. He will start 2022 minus some polarising players and those issues listed above so he should have clean air and fresh ears to install his thoughts, values, ideas and culture into.

So I was buoyed at the beginning of 2021 and probably tricked myself into thinking a bit too far ahead so was disappointed with the way it panned out but that is actually on me and not the coach.

Do I think we should have done better yes I do but I am willing to cut Hook and some of the players enough slack to have hope for 2022.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
At this time yes I am

2. Some players were in the Mary camp and some in the Dean Young camp and with both exiting hard for Hook to get and maintain traction
3. Some of the playing group had bigger egos than there ability, some had a laissez faire attitude firmly entrenched by 8 years of total incompetence in the coaching ranks
4. The JDB saga and the Mc Innes injury then exit fiasco incredibly destabilising and presented / created major holes in the roster
5. The lack of 2nd tier comp made the transition for the youngsters much harder than would have been in visages at the start of the campaign
6. Injuries to key 1st graders and also transitional players was pivotal in certain positions being totally under strength
7. Fair to say what the refs & judiciary handed out to us compared to others was farcical and basically season ending
8. The bbq and subsequent fallout beggared belief and no doubt any team with any issues of attitude, discipline, poor rosters was always going to do it very tough under all the issues facing teams playing under all the Covid restrictions and tbh Hook was never going to get that all under control with all that he inherited.

On moving forward
1. Hook has had a clean out and is shaping the roster & culture for the next period
2. He has been involved with recruitment and some good players signed thus far hopefully a few more coming
3. Had a chance to get some football into the next generation and there is obvious promise there
4. Hook has not succumbed to paying overs and holding on to players through sentimentality
5. He will start 2022 minus some polarising players and those issues listed above so he should have clean air and fresh ears to install his thoughts, values, ideas and culture into.

So I was buoyed at the beginning of 2021 and probably tricked myself into thinking a bit too far ahead so was disappointed with the way it panned out but that is actually on me and not the coach.

Do I think we should have done better yes I do but I am willing to cut Hook and some of the players enough slack to have hope for 2022.
Excellent post @Old Timer ! I agree with every point you have made.

Gareth67

First Grade
They say the darkest hour is right before the dawn (which isn’t true but let‘s hope the sentiment applies). It’s been bad for a long time now. This season has been appalling and embarrassing. Trying desperately to understand and justify team selections and player exits and signings, just hoping an improvement emerges. I find myself repeatedly asking myself “What the hell are we doing? This is the great Saint George rugby league club seemingly shedding talented footballers and recruiting pretty average players who are nearing retirement“. To me the strategy looks awry. I don’t think culture change can be achieved by hiring and firing. Culture - that is passion and belief - is a function of leadership. I don’t believe it’s a long-term agenda either. I’m worried indeed; we can’t just dump the ‘Red V‘ culture. We need leaders (ie; coaching team) who are great man-managers. Look at the coaches of the top 4 teams, for example. PS: top 5 even.
Ever so right Mojo , the Dragons are badly in need of players whom have the will to win against all odds .

Captained by an individual that his teammates look up to and finally a coach with the ability to get his message imbedded into the players mind - another Bennett .

However Griffin is the man pulling the strings next season so I will give him the chance of weaving some magic with his new imports , thankfully much younger than what we have here at present .

Unfortunately the board itself is cancer ridden and there within lies , I believe the major problem . There seems to be no one there with any foresight or vision for the future , certainly no Frank Facers .

Until that major obstacle is removed I fear that St.George Illawarra will continue to be one of those teams that merely make up the numbers in the NRL . If someone had predicted that we would find ourselves in such a predicament back in the 50’s or 60’s I would had scoffed at the mere thought of it .

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
At this time yes I am

On moving forward

Great analysis OT- like you say, Hook should only be judged at the end of 2022 when he's coached (mainly) the players he wants who are living at home and training and playing in front of their home fans. Personally, I'd give him the security of another year as this year has been a total waste. The Sims announcement is a reminder that there's a new Sheriff in town and there will be no tolerating living off one's reputation or coasting to retirement on his watch.

Trifili13

Juniors
At best I think we were a 7th to 8th placed team as the first month of the season showed, although our draw from memory was not to bad at the start. Once injuries and suspensions hit we were gone and showed up the lack of top quality depth to go the length of the season.

Crush

Coach
At this time yes I am

On moving forward

He tried to sign Israel Folou, he wanted to make JDB captain, he wanted to extend Corey Normans contract, he selected Norman all season even though his form was horrible.
He failed to get the team up for games, last night they looked disinterested.
Their defence was horrible, by the end of the season it was comical.
That’s the negatives, the headscratchers.

He’ll get a better roster next year and gets a fresh start, I will be positive and ready to go by next season but right now I am bitterly disappointed with how the season has finished.
Let’s hope that 2022 we are praising Hook not criticising him.
Chat cricket soon mate, Ashes year!

TruSaint

Referee
He tried to sign Israel Folou, he wanted to make JDB captain, he wanted to extend Corey Normans contract, he selected Norman all season even though his form was horrible.
He failed to get the team up for games, last night they looked disinterested.
Their defence was horrible, by the end of the season it was comical.
That’s the negatives, the headscratchers.

He’ll get a better roster next year and gets a fresh start, I will be positive and ready to go by next season but right now I am bitterly disappointed with how the season has finished.
Let’s hope that 2022 we are praising Hook not criticising him.
Chat cricket soon mate, Ashes year!

Never thought I'de say it, but bring on the cricket.
It was an abysmal season. If Wests win today we finish 13th I believe. f**k that.

Latest posts