What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At Last, some Ruthlessness in Management

mobels

Juniors
Gotta say as one of the Dragons old boys am surprised he has not been given his marching orders by this new regime along with Vaughan and Sims.
JDBs better than Sims in every aspect and hasn’t played in the last 2 seasons, his body will hold up for the remainder of his contract. He’s already easily our best forward after less than 10 games back abs no proper pre-season, he’ll be much much better next season. He’s also a ‘forward pack leader’ that leads by example and helps fire up the rest of the boys.

In a perfect world we would have still kept Vaughan as IMO he still has plenty to offer and is essential to our team as a metre eating prop.

Dragon David

First Grade
If the team plays in the way it had for the past 10 years then we will continue to be a rabble. Tough and ruthless decisions are now needed to be taken for the future. The players either fully commit to perform 100% every week next year or be told they are gone no matter who the players are. No excuses.

I have always liked Tariq Sims. Wholehearted, full of fire and brimstone, but alas he is past it. The temptation must have been strong to extend him for another year or two but it would be a heart v head decision.

This is the ruthlessness we need to rebuild the joint. Make head decisions not heart decisions. You need to think of this as a business and be ruthless when required. The great Liverpool FC Manager of the 1970's, Bill Shankley used to say that you cut players when they were at the top of the mountain and had just started looking over the other side. He was ruthless and they got on with winning.

The cull of the roster has begun and continues with earnest. We need this continued ruthlessness in decision making. No sentiment allowed. Not an inch. The culling of Dufty, Clune, Norman, Vaughan etc will continue at some pace next year as many contracts end in 2022. I can see green shoots appearing but I still think it is a 2023 & 2024 mission.

And again Bill Shankley used to say that "football and winning matches isn't a matter of life and death, it is much more important than that". When opposition clubs came down the tunnel at Anfield they were met with a 30 foot sign that read "This is Anfield, home of Liverpool FC, European Champions", and then they were greeted by 50,000 Scousers who wanted to kill them. That is what we need.

Respectfully, you are clearly suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

If in your view you consider fulfilling the simple duty and obligation of a board not re-signing a player as "ruthless" it is a clear indication of the mediocre management you have come to accept.

- Ruthless is Col Pearce penalising our side 27 times (16-1 in the second half) causing us to lose the 1955 preliminary final and our club, instead of having a sook about the refereeing, fired Ken Kearney as coach.

- A more modern day example of ruthless is the Roosters firing 11-year veteran and premiership winning halfback Mitchell Pearce to sign Cooper Cronk therefore going on to win back-to-back premierships (the first team to do so in 25 years).

Sorry, simply not re-signing a player is called "baseline doing your f**king job"; it's far from "ruthless".

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
But isn't it his role as a senior high paid current SOO representative to lead the charge and get the others to follow him ?
Yes it probably is part of his job. It's not only his job though. During the season we had another highly paid current SOO rep in B.Hunt, highly paid former SOO reps like C.Norman, P.Vaughn and J.deBelin, and not so highly paid former SOO reps like J.Bird, J.McGuire, A.McCullogh. None of them (except maybe Hunt) have led the charge.

I would argue that in the early part of the season Sims was leading the charge as much as any of the forwards. Yes his form dropped off to the point he was lucky to get picked for SOO. At the same time every other forward's form seemed to drop off. Why? It seemed to co-incide with Lomax being injured and Dufty being told he wasn't wanted. Was the inability of the backs to score points from that point the fault of the forwards or did the forwards clock off knowing the backs probably weren't going to do anything? Or was something else going on?

My opinion is all based on what I see on TV. You miss a lot by not being at the ground in terms of who is doing a lot of work and who is bludging. I still think Sims is worth keeping.

Mojo

Bench
My son informed me last night that Hook wanted to extend Corey! Is this true?

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I know it’s Hook’s first year and he can’t be really judged yet. Cutting the dead wood has been good to see, but geez…some of his signings this year were the worst signings I have ever seen made by a RL team…McGuire, Alvaro, McCullough and Beale…the old bloke has got me worried.

JDBs better than Sims in every aspect
My post below says I never said that Sims was better than Jack.
Have always rated both of them as they play with great passion for the Red V. I do tho have JDB ahead of Tariq in terms of what he brings to the table. Despite sitting out two seasons Jack has lost none of his potency. He is still one the games best one on one defenders while his ball skills remain a vital part of our attack.

redVbull

Juniors
Red V, I am also worried about the Mybe signing on two points:

i. If he holds up the development of Sloan, Sullivan, Amone, Fegai twins it will be a disaster;
ii. We can only carry one "versatile player" and we have that in Jack Bird. Bird and Mybe in the same team does not thrill me.

It is a bit like my wife who comes home with a new pair of boots and tells me they were on sale for $150.00, down from $400.00. But she doesn't need them. Don't buy things just because they're on sale (ie Moses Mybe); buy players because we are short in the required area and that would be at hooker and another young Polynesian bruiser for the pack.

I'm not unhappy with the Mbye signing. A quality half with proven gamemaking skills at NRL level... exactly the player we need to bring some cohesion and direction to our spine. We're a long way back in this field.

Its insurance for Sullivan's ongoing development, and he'll give Hunt confidence having a partner who knows how what he's doing.

And not to forget, he's not schooled in the style of 'Dragons footy' .. that can only be a plus!

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Respectfully, you are clearly suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

Why do people who disagree with you in this forum resort to personal attacks? Friend, you could have disagreed with me, which is your right without accusing me of carrying some form of psychological impairment, of which I do not suffer. As an aside you are using the said impairment in the incorrect context.
If in your view you consider fulfilling the simple duty and obligation of a board not re-signing a player as "ruthless" it is a clear indication of the mediocre management you have come to accept.

I am well on the record as being a harsh critic of our management. I do consider the non signing of a current SOO winning player (who had a good series) not being offered a renewal contract as being ruthless. That is my opinion and if you do not agree that's fine.
- Ruthless is Col Pearce penalising our side 27 times (16-1 in the second half) causing us to lose the 1955 preliminary final and our club, instead of having a sook about the refereeing, fired Ken Kearney as coach.
See I disagree with you, but I will not attack you personally.
- A more modern day example of ruthless is the Roosters firing 11-year veteran and premiership winning halfback Mitchell Pearce to sign Cooper Cronk therefore going on to win back-to-back premierships (the first team to do so in 25 years).
I agree with you on this point.
Sorry, simply not re-signing a player is called "baseline doing your f**king job"; it's far from "ruthless".

And why the foul language? Is this meant to intimidate me or make me retreat from my position; again neither of which is going to happen.

If you're having some anger issues because you disagree with another members view, go and seek help. It is always the "little person" who resorts to foul language and personal attacks as a mean of deflecting from the mirage of their argument. When substance is lacking, attack at all costs.

Why do people who disagree with you in this forum resort to personal attacks? Friend, you could have disagreed with me, which is your right without accusing me of carrying some form of psychological impairment, of which I do not suffer. As an aside you are using the said impairment in the incorrect context.

I am well on the record as being a harsh critic of our management. I do consider the non signing of a current SOO winning player (who had a good series) not being offered a renewal contract as being ruthless. That is my opinion and if you do not agree that's fine.

See I disagree with you, but I will not attack you personally.

I agree with you on this point.

And why the foul language? Is this meant to intimidate me or make me retreat from my position; again neither of which is going to happen.

If you're having some anger issues because you disagree with another members view, go and seek help. It is always the "little person" who resorts to foul language and personal attacks as a mean of deflecting from the mirage of their argument. When substance is lacking, attack at all costs.

Bro, that's my opinion and it happens to be the correct one.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Bro, that's my opinion and it happens to be the correct one.
I respect your right to an opinion. I don't agree with it in total but I am not going to personally attack you. Unfortunately there is no way to determine if your "opinion happens to be the correct one". It is not empirically possible. In the future please do yourself and the other members of the forum a favor. If you disagree with an assertion/opinion/statement of another member by all means state so. Please don't attack people, use profanities and insinuate mental illness. That is not cool "Bro"; and as someone who has a family member with a severe mental illness I can tell you that no-one should use such an inference to refer to another person.

I respect your right to an opinion. I don't agree with it in total but I am not going to personally attack you. Unfortunately there is no way to determine if your "opinion happens to be the correct one". It is not empirically possible. In the future please do yourself and the other members of the forum a favor. If you disagree with an assertion/opinion/statement of another member by all means state so. Please don't attack people, use profanities and insinuate mental illness. That is not cool "Bro"; and as someone who has a family member with a severe mental illness I can tell you that no-one should use such an inference to refer to another person.

Thank you bro.

BBTB

Juniors
If I was running the club;
* We wouldn’t have signed Norman
* Mary would have been sacked long before he actually was
* I wouldn’t have paid Hunt that much for that long.
* Brett Morris would never have left
* I would have offered Bennett 5 years

etc etc
Good call.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Thank you bro.
And here it is fellow forum members. I am leaving the forum. We are allowed to have opinions without being personally attacked. I have a relative with a severe mental illness that has a profound affect on our family. You hope, prey, support that today will be a better day for someone the family loves.

I think it is unacceptable that a person who adopts a persona of "Ghostface Killah" and who attaches a machine gun to their profile, is allowed without sanction to attack another member with accusations of mental illness because they disagree with your opinion. This member should be banned. His persona alone is offensive. Who would refer to themselves in such a manner and attach a weapon that is intended to kill people to their profile? Horrendous really.

Ghostface Killah, the next person who disagree with, just say so. Don't attack them personally. A few weeks back I'm Hornby and I disagreed strongly on the JDB for Captain issue. No problem. We did not attack each other. If you continue with this behavior this forum will disappear.

Latest posts