What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 25 vs Canterbury @ Moreton Daily Stadium

Who will win? Round 25: Wests Tigers v Canterbury

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 1-12

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 13+

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like and respect Madge, but Its apparent that he’s not coping.

As many argue, it’s not his whole fault, but we not getting the improvements across the board.

We can stick to the general rebuild with a new coach.

He will find another post easily.

Tigerm

First Grade
It was mentioned on the radio yesterday (abc grandstand) that we have an option to let him go after the 2021 season on a pay out and not his full entitlement as if he was coaching.

Comment was made just after the game was broadcast.

Hope you are Ok.
I'm fine, while I hate losing (like all of us) I have well learnt, it is only a game in the end?

It will be interesting what way they go then with Madge, Lee said a couple of weeks ago, that basically Madge & Hartigan would be safe, but that was before the Dogs fiasco, so who knows?

I'm fine, while I hate losing (like all of us) I have well learnt, it is only a game in the end?

It will be interesting what way they go then with Madge, Lee said a couple of weeks ago, that basically Madge & Hartigan would be safe, but that was before the Dogs fiasco, so who knows?
I am sure they will do the review first despite Ralph’s view.

There will be changes recommended to pacify us hordes. The devil…will be in the detail.

Why do think that? If we punted him what club would take him and why would they? 6 years out of the finals since that premiership is hard to sell.
Still managing with NZ and the fact that his tenure here has been significantly handicapped by r & r mischief before he arrived.

He can also argue to that we didn’t give him a free hand in r&r as we have the recruitment Committee.

We know he turned down an offer from the Warriors at least.

Kilkenny

Coach
It was a disappointing performance to end a disappointing season.

It is hard to see how the coach can survive, but neither should certain members of management who authorised the contract extension not that long ago.

We did something similar with Anthony Griffin and he was sacked after a reasonably successful season, before the semis, within a year of extending his contract. Ultimately Gus Gould fell on his sword I guess over the Hook situation.

If my memory serves me correctly I think I may have suggested Madge may have deserved staying on for 2022 at the very least. I’m not so sure after yesterday. Neither option is ideal, but I suspect his time may be up. Not to sure who you run with as his replacement, the viable options aren't exactly plentiful, certainly not ideal options anyway. Good luck with it, disappointing.

Last edited:

JB04

Juniors
It was a disappointing performance to end a disappointing season.

It is hard to see how the coach can survive, but neither should certain members of management who authorised the contract extension not that long ago.

We did something similar with Anthony Griffin and he was sacked after a reasonably successful season, before the semis, within a year of extending his contract. Ultimately Gus Gould fell on his sword I guess over the Hook situation.

If my memory serves me correctly I think I may have suggested Madge may have deserved staying on for 2022 at the very least. I’m not so sure after yesterday. Neither option is ideal, but I suspect his time may be up. Not to sure who you run with as his replacement, the viable options are exactly plentiful, certainly not ideal options anyway. Good luck with it, disappointing.
It's a tough one isn't it mate. I'm a fan of Madge, I think he's passionate and really wants success, but it's just not working, whatever he's doing. His results over the past three seasons justify that (9th, 11th and now 13th). I think for him and the Tigers the best thing to do would be to part ways, because I honestly don't see any improvement in us next year.

However, he's not the only one who should be shown the door. From a management perspective, Pascoe and Hartigan need to go, as well as many of the support staff. There are also many players who should be shown the door too, most prominently Luke Brooks and James Tamou.

What I think would be good for the club would be having people who have a history with the club in amongst the coaching and leadership staff. Tim Sheens I believe personally is a good appointment (albeit some would heavily disagree). I think also bringing in people such as John Morris, Todd Payten and keeping Robbie Farah would be astute too - they know how to win, they've seen success with the club. Perhaps its the 'sentimental' in me, but I think they'd be great in the coaching staff.

Kilkenny

Coach
It's a tough one isn't it mate. I'm a fan of Madge, I think he's passionate and really wants success, but it's just not working, whatever he's doing. His results over the past three seasons justify that (9th, 11th and now 13th). I think for him and the Tigers the best thing to do would be to part ways, because I honestly don't see any improvement in us next year.

However, he's not the only one who should be shown the door. From a management perspective, Pascoe and Hartigan need to go, as well as many of the support staff. There are also many players who should be shown the door too, most prominently Luke Brooks and James Tamou.

What I think would be good for the club would be having people who have a history with the club in amongst the coaching and leadership staff. Tim Sheens I believe personally is a good appointment (albeit some would heavily disagree). I think also bringing in people such as John Morris, Todd Payten and keeping Robbie Farah would be astute too - they know how to win, they've seen success with the club. Perhaps its the 'sentimental' in me, but I think they'd be great in the coaching staff.
I’ve never been a fan of the coach being held solely responsible it involves many others in management and also the playing group. Even if the playing group have lost faith in there coach that doesn’t excuse them for not having pride in there own performance or more importantly playing for those who are most important of all, that is you guys, the fans.

I think your impressive COE will be massive, but in itself cannot deliver instant results. As a club you really have to place greater emphasis on tapping into the huge potential junior nursery you have accross West’s, Balmain, Campbelltown, Camden and Southern Highlands. That is where the success lies going forward. Buying success of the back of high profile recruits only works for but a few of the clubs in the NRL.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
I’ll just make one more point and I’ll butt out. On my own teams forum we have certain players who bear the brunt of the fan’s frustrations and in my opinion the criticism is not always warranted. i understand the frustration of your fans around Luke Brooks but as an impartial observer I almost always see a player who gives his all, tries his best and for the most part is rarely to blame for your woes even if he seems to carry the blame. Thats my opinion as an independent observer only, I like kid, he is a decent player in my opinion has just never had the forward pack or spine around him to truly shine. That’s my opinion only, May not fit the general consensus but I’ve never seen any lack of effort on his part.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Yeah, definitely it's not just the head coach who should pay the price, although that is usually what happens. I think Hartigan is OK as he has a good track record. Pascoe should probably go, and some players. Look at the clear out the Doggies have just done.

I’ll just make one more point and I’ll butt out. On my own teams forum we have certain players who bear the brunt of the fan’s frustrations and in my opinion the criticism is not always warranted. i understand the frustration of your fans around Luke Brooks but as an impartial observer I almost always see a player who gives his all, tries his best and for the most part is rarely to blame for your woes even if he seems to carry the blame. Thats my opinion as an independent observer only, I like kid, he is a decent player in my opinion has just never had the forward pack or spine around him to truly shine. That’s my opinion only, May not fit the general consensus but I’ve never seen any lack of effort on his part.
We had these expectations that from a promising start that he was going to improve and be consistent.

But he hasn’t materialised into the dependable and skilled half he was supposed to be. We just don’t know which Brooksy is going to turn up. He’s 26 now, should be close to prime for a half back.

So late last year the call went out for Hastings who can cover for him or as I see it, really press him for his spot which might help him lift.

He’s been in the somewhat luxurious position of our only real hb for ages, and he’s had a half swing, but we desperately need him to step up.

He’s a senior player now, he’s nowhere near his optimum. That’s of grave concern.

On a table of our failures, he’s not alone and not near the top. I’d rank him at mid tier table failure.

And halves need good forwards, he hasn’t really had those, so he’s at the lower end of the mid tier table. I’ll grant him that.

But he’s not off the hook. His start of the year 2021 was nothing short of awful. We can’t wait 12 rounds for him to hit his factory.

Madge has not named him in the core group of players he thinks the club can build on. That omission is an ominous sign for him.

If he can’t get it together with Hastings ready to pounce, I’d say he’s finished.

Kilkenny

Coach
We had these expectations that from a promising start that he was going to improve and be consistent.

But he hasn’t materialised into the dependable and skilled half he was supposed to be. We just don’t know which Brooksy is going to turn up. He’s 26 now, should be close to prime for a half back.

So late last year the call went out for Hastings who can cover for him or as I see it, really press him for his spot which might help him lift.

He’s been in the somewhat luxurious position of our only real hb for ages, and he’s had a half swing, but we desperately need him to step up.

He’s a senior player now, he’s nowhere near his optimum. That’s of grave concern.

On a table of our failures, he’s not alone and not near the top. I’d rank him at mid tier table failure.

And halves need good forwards, he hasn’t really had those, so he’s at the lower end of the mid tier table. I’ll grant him that.

But he’s not off the hook. His start of the year 2021 was nothing short of awful. We can’t wait 12 rounds for him to hit his factory.

Madge has not named him in the core group of players he thinks the club can build on. That omission is an ominous sign for him.

If he can’t get it together with Hastings ready to pounce, I’d say he’s finished.
I understand everything you and others say. He is much maligned but I don’t think he deserves the hate he gets. The kid has tried his guts out, he is clearly a decent human being and by all means shop him around if that is the way forward but he is not to blame far from it. Not from my perspective anyway, but I don’t watch your games a closely as you and others do. It probably sounds strange but he could be a very good fit at the Raiders if you guys are hell bent on getting rid of him. I’m probably way off the mark but I just see a pretty decent player. I

I understand everything you and others say. He is much maligned but I don’t think he deserves the hate he gets. The kid has tried his guts out, he is clearly a decent human being and by all means shop him around if that is the way forward but he is not to blame far from it. Not from my perspective anyway, but I don’t watch your games a closely as you and others do. It probably sounds strange but he could be a very good fit at the Raiders if you guys are hell bent on getting rid of him. I’m probably way off the mark but I just see a pretty decent player. I
I appreciate your thoughts, but he’s on a massive contract and we keep seeing halves on half or three quarters of his salary playing better and much more consistently.

Hes probably a good bloke, but our best good bloke was shipped off to the dragons where we will be paying more than they are for his friendly services!

So tough decisions but we must stand firm, take aim and cull.

We just aren’t coping with it. Everybody is in shoot first, ask questions later mode.

We need blood.

I’m only 5% upset too.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
At the end of the day, you appear to have some cap space, something you haven’t enjoyed for a few seasons. Spend it wisely, forget about the marquee $800k a season players bring in half a dozen solid first graders for your $2 million spend to compliment what you have, and just build on the future with your COE and other positives. Play the long game, the short term fixes just aren’t available to you.

Kilkenny

Coach
I appreciate your thoughts, but he’s on a massive contract and we keep seeing halves on half or three quarters of his salary playing better and much more consistently.

Hes probably a good bloke, but our best good bloke was shipped off to the dragons where we will be paying more than they are for his friendly services!

So tough decisions but we must stand firm, take aim and cull.

We just aren’t coping with it. Everybody is in shoot first, ask questions later mode.

We need blood.

I’m only 5% upset too.
I understand everything you say. I’m not suggesting otherwise, I’m simply saying as an outsider I sort off feel for Brooks but I you know better so perhaps it is time to move him in.

Latest posts