What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

Draginzaaar

Bench
This Tariq Sims story sure gets plenty of negative Media against the Dragons club, compared to Adam Reynolds and Dale Funucine.
Yet they are all similar ages, captains, role models and well respected….yet for the Bunnies & Storm it’s purely Salary cap and the future.
The Dragon’s obviously don’t line the bloodsucking media with beer money!
Maybe it's because those teams are Top 4 and they know what they are doing.

mickeylane

Bench
Let's get some things straight on Tariq and his contract status:

1. He is contracted until the end of '22 season.
2. He has been given permission to look around
3. The door is not shut on him receiving an extension with the Dragons (if another offer doesn't materialise)
4. His manager approached us about "23 onwards, we did not approach him.

If Tariq finds another club willing to take him on, then good luck to him. You'd have to wonder what $$ would be on offer for a near 32/33 yr old.

You have to ask yourself, when was the last time Tariq smashed a half-back, charged down a kick or ran for more than 100m a game on a consistent level? Yes, he may find it again, but the new rules have basically wiped out the type of player he is (barring SOO where no rules apply, apparently).

We have plenty of young stock coming through at edge forward in O'Ofou, Sherab and Gale, add in existing Sua, Burns and even Bird. To sign Tariq again based on sentiment or, good bloke, just echoes the problems we have faced over the last 8 or so years, a roster spot taken up by someone who is roadblocking another, and where have I heard that before!
the negativity is based on Sims la loyal club man and local junior looking to end his career w the Dragons and unable to..apparently sending the wrong message out to younger players ... a big tip he's heading to Roosters for 2 years...

dungay dragon

Juniors
the negativity is based on Sims la loyal club man and local junior looking to end his career w the Dragons and unable to..apparently sending the wrong message out to younger players ... a big tip he's heading to Roosters for 2 years...
Tariq has been a very popular member of the playing group and with fans during his time at the Red V ..When Club form wanes and difficult decisions have to be made , it doesnt suit everyone..
Our Club haven't tasted success for 11 years .The Club , Sponsors and Fans demand change to achieve success , sometimes it means releasing a club favourite , as is the case here...
Those against the non resigning of Simms are well n truly in the minority..
Time to move on
Pretty sure , as has been mentioned , Tariq will quickly find a gig elsewhere , if he decides to go down that path......

Old Timer

Coach
What a load of malarkey about him being a junior bla bla bla.

Gerringong Jnr, Bronoc's NYC 2 years, Cowboys 3 years, Knights 2 years, Dragons.

He comes form the area as a junior but played his informative football at other clubs and finally came to us after struggling big time at the Knights.

So please explain exactly what do we owe him because he is a professional footballer who has peddled his wares at several clubs including ours.

Sentimentality is something that the high achieving clubs don't have and all the while we have people in here lamenting / whinging that we never achieve but as soon as we take a stance they whinge about that too.

The argument to retain Sims because of signing AM, JM is not looking at or understanding the reality of what we were dealing with earlier this year and the absolute urgency to get some senior players in.

For sure if things had panned out differently and we didn't have to sign AM, JM would people still be upset about Sims not being retained post 2022?

If Sims does go early then good luck to him and I wish him well but he will only do that because it suits him to do so.

blacksafake

First Grade
It depends on your view of smart...

Mine is the club has made 3 smart decisions all season. Letting Dufty go, and Sacking Paul Vaughan, and not extending Corey Norman. That's it.

People keep raising "Good Money" with regard to Sims. Nothing was ever said about Sims wanting/demanding money - and has since been reconfirmed by Sims himself and in the Media - Andrew Webster (amongst possible others). Bloke wanted to see out a career where he started out (junior) and came back to.

If it was the Storm or Bunnies - with sustained levels of success and strong management - it may lend itself to being seeing as harsh but smart. But it isn't them - its the Dragons - a side that lost its last 8 games this year, lost twice as many games as it won all season, had half the team (not including Sims) disobey club order and government Covid restrictions, who've signed a coaching team for 2021 that has been collectively sacked 4 times..... after sacking another coach 1 year short of his contract term with a payout bill in the high 6-figure mark.

This is a coach that promoted "Junior Development" when he signed to take over... Yet we signed players such as Beale, McGuire, McCullough, Alvaro. We have since signed Burgess (hip issues), Mbye, Suli (history behavioural issues). This aint exactly a list of players who are "for the Future"..... and none are juniors.

This club signed McCullough to a 3 year deal at 31 years of age. A guy who had never set foot in the club before, hasn't set the world alight in his career, has had knee injuries... yet he gets the juicy retirement red-carpet that a clubman like Sims has been pulled out from underneath him.

This Club needs a telescope to see what Smart looks like. Ryan Webb seems like a good guy and writes a lovely club newsletter every month or so. But the Club as a whole is just a Red & White Circus Tent who can't stop tripping over itself.
He's a current origin player & I'm sure under cap rules he needs to be signed accordingly not take a pay cut of say 400/500K. With Su'a coming, Burns improving & juniors coming through decisions such as this need to be made whether us fans like it or not.
I think in this case let's agree to disagree.

George Dragon

Juniors

3. The door is not shut on him receiving an extension with the Dragons (if another offer doesn't materialise)

If Tariq finds another club willing to take him on, then good luck to him. You'd have to wonder what $$ would be on offer for a near 32/33 yr old.

You have to ask yourself, when was the last time Tariq smashed a half-back, charged down a kick or ran for more than 100m a game on a consistent level? Yes, he may find it again, but the new rules have basically wiped out the type of player he is (barring SOO where no rules apply, apparently).

We have plenty of young stock coming through at edge forward in O'Ofou, Sherab and Gale, add in existing Sua, Burns and even Bird. To sign Tariq again based on sentiment or, good bloke, just echoes the problems we have faced over the last 8 or so years, a roster spot taken up by someone who is roadblocking another, and where have I heard that before!

Well said.
A few more things.

Sims doesn't have a manager his wife handles it.

If he knew he was told to look elsewhere why didn't he put himself on show rather than sulking as some have suggested.
Very Duftyish.

As for a leader he hardly showed that last two weeks as captain and the good guy doesn't sit well with me either, I've been told quite the opposite.

blacksafake

First Grade
Well said.
A few more things.

If he knew he was told to look elsewhere why didn't he put himself on show rather than sulking as some have suggested.
Very Duftyish.

As for a leader he hardly showed that last two weeks as captain and the good guy doesn't sit well with me either, I've been told quite the opposite.
Interesting,
Thanks @George Dragon. I've been disappointed in him this year, especially the last two weeks when captain.
If he's sulking then there lies our culture problems when senior players are leading the way.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Well said.
A few more things.

Very Duftyish.

Thanks @George Dragon, there's a lot more than meets the eye and the sensationalism around it.

A few people on here need to start to look at joining the dots. I guess a lot don't play chess or even have a go at completing a suduku puzzle. Some should try, it may help them see a brighter light.

mickeylane

Bench
What a load of malarkey about him being a junior bla bla bla.

Gerringong Jnr, Bronoc's NYC 2 years, Cowboys 3 years, Knights 2 years, Dragons.

He comes form the area as a junior but played his informative football at other clubs and finally came to us after struggling big time at the Knights.

So please explain exactly what do we owe him because he is a professional footballer who has peddled his wares at several clubs including ours.

Sentimentality is something that the high achieving clubs don't have and all the while we have people in here lamenting / whinging that we never achieve but as soon as we take a stance they whinge about that too.

The argument to retain Sims because of signing AM, JM is not looking at or understanding the reality of what we were dealing with earlier this year and the absolute urgency to get some senior players in.

For sure if things had panned out differently and we didn't have to sign AM, JM would people still be upset about Sims not being retained post 2022?

If Sims does go early then good luck to him and I wish him well but he will only do that because it suits him to do so.
an article just appeared that there is a player divide w Griffin moving on Sims that's just developing ...here we go again...source NRL Mole

Old Timer

Coach
Just because the press say something doesn’t mean it is either accurate or true and looking how the press portray us I would go so far as to say they try to destabilise us at every turn and this Sims issue us just another example of it.

Sims is popular with CH 9 & Fox and that is enough for me to know they will argue his position rather than the clubs and as others have said they offer no real commentary on JR, DF, JAC leaving / being pushed out of their respective clubs or the real shit fight going on inside the Raiders rather choosing to turn on the player instead of coach & club who again are favourites.

If JT from the Cowboys or AC from the Chooks was coming it would all be Tariq who.

If we follow the media and fan favourites /. good clubman philosophy George Rose would still be wearing 3 jumpers for us and JL would still be telling jokes on the bus

qld redvee

Juniors
Classic overreaction from this forum yet again.

Sims will be 33 by the time the 2023 season begins and has had a long history of major leg injuries to both his legs. He’s simply not worth the money he’d be looking for in his next contract, the 600-750k per year that he’d be after would be much better spent on a younger back rower from another club. Or better yet a marquee front rower which IMO the club is in desperate need of to be contenders.

an article just appeared that there is a player divide w Griffin moving on Sims that's just developing ...here we go again...source NRL Mole
Mickey,
BUT we are not moving him on we are not extending his contract when it finishes at end of 22. Its no different when we let Joel Thompson go ( who was playing better than tariq) this is where as mentioned earlier the media is blowing this way out of proportion .. And as for moving players on - Duffty Norman JP ellis - is there a player revolt because we have done the same ? Tariq could well improve with us next year playing behind a bigger pack and better halves pairing ..
Would be nice if media played by same rules for all teams

He's a current origin player & I'm sure under cap rules he needs to be signed accordingly not take a pay cut of say 400/500K. With Su'a coming, Burns improving & juniors coming through decisions such as this need to be made whether us fans like it or not.
I think in this case let's agree to disagree.

All good mate.

No need to demand agreements in this forum! Good healthy debates are what it's all about.

Just FFS hope this club stops being a punchline sooner rather than later.

BTW - I love your avatar.

blacksafake

First Grade
All good mate.

No need to demand agreements in this forum! Good healthy debates are what it's all about.

Just FFS hope this club stops being a punchline sooner rather than later.

BTW - I love your avatar.
All good my end too.
A lot of your points I agree with.
Start winning & the pressure & media change.
Hopefully next season starts this process.
I’ve always had a liking for Rava, I saw a player in there waiting to come out & hopefully he’ll continue to improve.
My new player I see with ability waiting to surface is Billy Burns. He could be a sleeper.

I didn’t mind old Fifita as well

SnowDragon

Juniors
It’s hard to know what the real deal is, and who leaks what.

Sims is a leader, and although he has become inconsistent, he stands up for big matches. I’d have hoped if his manager comes forward asking for an extension, then the club would say say “sure thing” however it will clearly be at a reduced rate. The rest is how it plays out in the media. in this case the club has come off looking like they car nothing for good team players.

Club should be positive, respectful and clear but that doesn’t require we over pay him. Alowing a player to move on early if they request it is way different to pushing out a player.

Trifili13

Juniors
Manly are doing the same with Tapau
They have told him they will not renew his contract after next year and if he can find a deal for next year they will not stand in his way
Haven't heard boo from the press in response to this
And Storm are losing Addo-Carr, Finucane and Hines all in one year, yet for them it's a salary cap issue. That's 3 big names, worth close to or over $1.5m per season combined. All 3 perform week after week yet the press does not ask questions. We say we are happy to keep the player for his last year and happy to release him if he gets a better and longer offer, and based on comments in this forum his performance is up and down, yet we get jumped on.

rasaint

Juniors
For what’s worth, I think there are a few in the media that ‘passively’ seek to keep the dragons underwater. This year we have Hook who is not some commentators cup of tea. Of course, the BBQ was an own goal but gave the opportunity for the NRL to wipe out our strongest and metre eating forward who was playing quite well.

I have noticed particularly in recent years that some of our unremarkable players get ‘talked up’ to pressure their retaining or resigning at overvalued (obviously my opinion) contracts.

Tariq played exceptionally well in 2018. Since the knee and groan injuries he has been ordinary, other than a strong early flurry of very good games early pre tragic round.

At the end of the day, we have have to have a better roster, because we continue to carry some unremarkable players on big $$$.