What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qualifying Final - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 11th September 7:50pm @Queensland Country Bank Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Yea I think Su'A is certainly there for that job. Jai and Keaon in the second row had being going so well so I see this as the only reason why Wayne would change it.

Now I don't want to see Jaydn go out there and injure the bloke with a cheap shot but keep hitting him legally hard, rough him up. Just go after him!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yep, assign Sua the job, to go in there and break bones, any way, as long as it isn't "overtly" illegal
If Su’a plays right edge he will be more on Luai’s side so Cleary would avoid him more.

My old man reckons Wayne will change it up come Saturday and that Wayne is playing games and that Cody will start at 1, Benji at 6 and Ta’affe in the 14. It wouldn’t surprise me if this did happen!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Yea I think Su'A is certainly there for that job. Jai and Keaon in the second row had being going so well so I see this as the only reason why Wayne would change it.

Now I don't want to see Jaydn go out there and injure the bloke with a cheap shot but keep hitting him legally hard, rough him up. Just go after him!!
I know we all say this (don't wanna see people get hurt etc etc) but hey, it is a tough game......people do get hurt......

Stubby

Juniors
The best way for us to win is to limit out our mistakes they will try and rake it from Tom as soon as he comes on run our big men at clearasil that’s the best way to pop his shoulder the history of Souths is NITV tonight at 7.30 must viewing for Penrith supporters who are in need of a bit of class

Jim Rockford

Bench
The best way for us to win is to limit out our mistakes they will try and rake it from Tom as soon as he comes on run our big men at clearasil that’s the best way to pop his shoulder the history of Souths is NITV tonight at 7.30 must viewing for Penrith supporters who are in need of a bit of class
Thanks for the heads-up on the TV show. I just set a reminder, don't want to miss it!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Source SMH

BENNETT COY AS PANTHERS QUESTION TAAFFE DECISION

Penrith are convinced South Sydney’s call to name rookie Blake Taaffe in the No.1 jersey for Saturday’s finals clash is a case of September ‘‘ smoke and mirrors’’ .

And Souths coach Wayne Bennett was happy to play along by declaring: ‘‘ We’ll wait and see if he plays or not. I don’t want to rain on their parade’’ .

‘‘ You’ll have to wait until Saturday,’’ Bennett told the Herald. ‘‘ It’s what makes the game interesting. I’m not going to put any player on that field on Saturday night that I don’t have trust in.’’

Penrith halfback Nathan Cleary terrorised Latrell Mitchell and Josh Mansour with his floating and torpedo bombs three weeks ago – and most fans are wondering what chance five-game fullback Taaffe has under the high ball.

Panthers co-captain Isaah Yeo was certainly not sold Taaffe would line up at fullback in Saturday night’s qualifying final at Queensland Country Bank Stadium.

‘‘ I’m not quite sure what they’re doing and if there are smoke and mirrors there,’’ Yeo said. ‘‘ Obviously you have to do your video on him and nullify him as much as possible, and he’s there for a reason.

‘‘ They’re fortunate enough to have a lot of different options there [at fullback]. They’ve come out and said Taaffe is playing. We’ll do our due diligence on him, for sure, but I don’t think we’ll be surprised if there’s a change there late.’’

Alex Johnston can play fullback but has been devastating on the left wing. Cody Walker is the other option, but shifting him would weaken his lethal halves combination with Adam Reynolds.

NSW coach Brad Fittler has watched Cleary leave some of his Blues teammates feeling ill at training while trying to defuse the halfback’s bombs, and like Penrith was sceptical about who would actually start at fullback for Souths.

‘‘ Wayne knows his players better than anyone,’’ Fittler said. ‘‘ Blake is a good little player, but he also showed that he’s still a rookie and makes errors, like any kid. But he’s about to go into a final against Penrith. Without a doubt he’ll be targeted. They’ll test out his positioning. Jarome Luai has a left boot, Matt Burton has a left boot ... he’ll learn quickly.

‘‘ He also knows the 12 blokes in front of him are pretty good players, and if they do a great job, then Penrith don’t get down the field that far and he’s not catching balls on his try line.’’

Taaffe started against St George Illawarra on the weekend in place of the suspended Mitchell. Cleary, who spends time after every training session mastering his kicking, said he would prepare for several Souths players to start at the back, and ‘‘ we have to prepare for anything’’ .

Souths were on the end of an 11-2 penalty count against Penrith, but lose Mitchell this time around while Penrith gain James Fisher-Harris and winger Brian To’o , who missed the 25-12 win. Christian Nicolussi

Jim Rockford

Bench
Souths were on the end of an 11-2 penalty count against Penrith, but lose Mitchell this time around while Penrith gain James Fisher-Harris and winger Brian To’o , who missed the 25-12 win. Christian Nicolussi
This is the only thing of relevance in that article. Penriff aren't going to get handed the game by the ref this time. If they want to beat us they are actually going to have to earn it this time. I don't believe they can.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
A caller rang 2SM Graham Hughes and said he's noticed with Penruff on the play the ball leading to a kick or FG, they are placing one or two guys either side of the dummy half, standing offside to impede the defense getting to The Chin, and even grabbing at the players, which should be a penalty to the opposing team, yet Penruff have never been penalised for it. Hughes said he'd ask Annesely about it.

Problem is, like JWH, nothing will be done about it in time for our game.

Last edited:

Stubby

Juniors
They have always run these blockers and the ref and bunker have done nothing about it this practice has to stamped out of the game I thought I saw Reynolds knocked over late and nothing was done last time we played the riff at least this time we have a different ref