What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long Term Coach - Josh Hannay

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
What does Brandy Alexander say about Captain's call?
Well the same should be said about Coaching First Grade.
So no ex-front rowers, no ex-wingers and no-one who has just come onto the field i.e. just entered the coaching market. Makes a fair bit of sense.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
They should be made to do time in the U.K.
or junior reps - Reserve grade for several years then
Assistant coach for several years -
Only the do they get a First Grade Gig.

+ the boys should be taught how to respect their elders.
Madge is pissing in the wind with that lot - and he ( Like Paul Green) are premiership winners.

Wouldn't be a coach for quids.
But as a supporter - I want what I want!!!
PS and should be made to piss off before they become a snide old Wayne Bennett

Ryles will be assistant at the roosters next year. After serving time under Bellamy and now Robinson maybe he should be a target in 2-3 years time.

Doesn't necessarily mean he would be a good Head Coach. Don't forget Adam O'Brien had been an Assistant Coach to Bellamy and Robinson before getting the gig at the Knights.

denis preston

First Grade
I like the look of Hannay as well, I actually didn’t mind John Morris either, Morris would be a good candidate as an assistant for us.

I wonder how long Griffin will be given next year? Given our notorious fast starts & long fade outs I hope the club waits all season to decide whether to extend Griffin or not. Keep him on the hook, so to speak.
The ball is definitely in the clubs hands on this. Don't think Hook will be scouted by any other club so no hurry at all to make a decision . Surely they have learnt from the half time Anzac day resigning all those years ago. In line with this if he is extended before August next year that should be great news as we will be at least top 2 or 3 to justify this !

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
The ball is definitely in the clubs hands on this. Don't think Hook will be scouted by any other club so no hurry at all to make a decision . Surely they have learnt from the half time Anzac day resigning all those years ago. In line with this if he is extended before August next year that should be great news as we will be at least top 2 or 3 to justify this !
I don't think the bar will be set that high in order for the club to take up its option for Hook's third year. Maybe anywhere in the top 8 and an obvious improvement in the teams resilience and application would probably be enough.

Dracarys

Juniors
Our board could sign Bellamy, Bennett, Hasler, or Robinson if they wanted to.

If we said to our board members: "If you do not win us a premiership in the next three years then we will publicly execute you all by hanging you out the front of The Taj at the conclusion of the 2024 season" I bet our board will sign one of the coaches and ensure we win a premiership by 2024.
A disgusting sentiment...even in jest.

Mjab

Juniors
will cop it..but think brownie is the one to bring back
Interesting to see how Brownie goes next 1-2 years, I at least like his general style of play and did Ok at Saints I thought, lacked experience at that time
I think likley be a very good guy to spot talent and nurture young players but Im just not sure Ive seen enough results wise at a first grade NRL club yet to have him back as head coach

Mjab

Juniors
I hope we wait to back end season next year before deciding on Hook
I just remember that shit , we had to tie up Mary before he was snatched away because he is a top quality coach !!!

WTF
I hope they learnt and dont do the same , but im holding my breath

thebigredv

First Grade
Finals should be bare minimum benchmark for Hook. He failed the adversity test and in '22 he has the majority of a team that he has assembled. We've had our wasted season and bided our time as fans. The pressure will really be on him now.

Given everything that has previously transpired with coach retention we need to be very aware of any April premiership scenario which has become a trademark of our team followed by the fatal fade out. No early extensions allowed.

Our board have proven to be our biggest enemy. Failing to carry out their duty with enough fight for our club. Hope the new CEO can help land us who we need this time around. Reckon, sadly, they'll accept another average season with Hook in charge so long
as the team is semi competitive and then put it down to a 'rebuild'.

What needs to happen is to keep one eye firmly on a proven experienced coach or an emerging credentialed and talented coach - not sure that's Hannay, but whoever fits the bill and comes available from mid season.

Griffin is undoubtedly capable of much better results even given his archaic strategies and malfunctioning team selections. His squad is still on the weak side and as far as I'm concerned that's no excuse given what time he has had to attract better talent. Starting on an 8 game losing streak is one hell of a way to begin the year. I wish him luck. I hope he can turn this ship around.

possm

Coach
I'd like to see our assistant coaches replaced. I didn't see anything special with our defense or attack in 2021.

I'd also like to see Horan and Millward given their marching orders. We need a better football manager and a big lift on the recruitment side.

The cleanout is still not complete.

blacksafake

First Grade
I'd like to see our assistant coaches replaced. I didn't see anything special with our defense or attack in 2021.

I'd also like to see Horan and Millward given their marching orders. We need a better football manager and a big lift on the recruitment side.

The cleanout is still not complete.
Would like to see someone like Neil Henry come on board.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
From the insiders perspective and from a few in the know, Hook is pretty safe for next year, as are his current assistants, although Elliott will also have additional responsibilities.

Making the final 8 will be a target, however, there are other important key areas that have been and are being developed.

There is still a bit of deadwood to be removed, that probably wont happen in '22, but, the nucleous of our team moving into '23 and beyond is becoming more prevalent, with now up to 7 players from the successful SG Ball winning team now pkaying, have played or are bow signed to DS contracts.

The cancellation of the 2nd tier competitions, basically for 2yrs has put our junior development back considerably. In saying that, success breeds success, and our juniors we've signed, will bear fruit sooner than later.

What has to be remembered also, is that teams like Melb, Broncos, Titans and Cows, have been able to have players wgo are still participating in 2nd tier comps, as the QCup is still in progress ie, their reserve players are fit and game ready when called on.

So, next season, with hopefully all 2nd tier comps operating, the focus will be on those coaches to supply ready made players. I have doubts over our KOE Cup coach, but I feel our Flegg coach is pretty good.

Latest posts