What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I never heard it but i did hear on Joel & Fletch drive on SEN that they were going to talk to Ashton Sims, so i assume the bashing of the club is going to continue from an impartial source??

He was fine, said it was more the dragons letting him negotiate for another contract with other teams rather than us trying to push him out of the club immediately. He was pretty cool about it, didn't bad mouth the club or chuck a hissy fit over his bro.

Dragonflies

Juniors
Please don't tell me your argument in resigning Tariq is based on being a "loyal clubman " & "loving the jersey "? Aren't we trying to get away from being a mates club to a high performing NRL outfit ?
loyalty works both ways,tariq went to the cowboys in the prime of his career for his own benefit.Saints may not want to resign him so they can keep some younger players with potential.

Tapau, Addo Carr Hynes n Finucane play for top 4 clubs. Addo carr prompted his move, wanting to come back to Sydney. Hines plays behind Munster, Hughes n Papenhuyzen.

The Dragons need a strong set of binoculars to see the top 4. Sims is being pushed out.

There’s the difference.

denis preston

First Grade
I hope Sims stays on next year but exactly what your saying. I think his days of playing 80mins as an edge backrower are over. Get him coming off the bench playing in the middle. That’s what’d I’d like to see.
Perhaps by suggesting this to Tariq , it may prompt him to ring every other NRL club for a contract ! It would be a good move and take the burden of us having to look for a front rower in the offseason.

Carlton

Juniors
Another anti SGI story on foxsports by Hooper, "the ugly side of Red V's Kikau bid". This whole situation is just normal day to day business of any NRL team so why the negative take on it.

We have a player who started playing his footy in Gerringong and subsequently has played for three other NRL teams before us, hardly a one club player. He will be 33 when his contract ends next year and his performances have been deteriorating for a while now. The club advises him, after he approached the club, that his contract will not be renewed. They also suggested that if he wanted to they would not stop him from looking for a new contract elsewhere that may prolong his career. This is his option. The club did not kick him out early.

Kikau becomes available 2023, if a club is looking to the future, which almost all posters on here have wanted, to get him means changes need to be made to the roster. This is just a fact of running a successful club. Finally, it looks like we have a plan for the roster and changes are taking place. The media seem to be jealous that SGI are actually getting things sorted and there are a few posters who will never be happy, no matter what.

Forward pack being put together, tick. Juniors getting chances, tick. Welded on McGregor players being moved on, tick. Experiment with some positional changes this year, tick. Trying to change the culture, tick. Getting the player payments under control, tick.

I dont know if Griffin is the answer as the long term coach, but I do believe he is what we need at the moment to do the dirty work and make the roster changes that have to happen. Will he get everything right, of course not, no coach does.

Walpole

Juniors
100%, Hooper's article is absolute rubbish. At this stage Sims is still contracted to us for 2022 and we won't be re-signing him for 2023 which makes sense given he'll turn 33 that year and his best games are behind him. We're actually doing the right thing by Sims in giving him an opportunity to look for a club that will give him a contract into 2023 and beyond. The bonus is that this might help us get Kikau, who is five years younger than Sims, coming from a successful club, has a link to Hook and on his day, is one of the best edge forwards in the game. Finally looks like we might be making some plans for the future.

matPORTS

Juniors
Another anti SGI story on foxsports by Hooper, "the ugly side of Red V's Kikau bid". This whole situation is just normal day to day business of any NRL team so why the negative take on it.

We have a player who started playing his footy in Gerringong and subsequently has played for three other NRL teams before us, hardly a one club player. He will be 33 when his contract ends next year and his performances have been deteriorating for a while now. The club advises him, after he approached the club, that his contract will not be renewed. They also suggested that if he wanted to they would not stop him from looking for a new contract elsewhere that may prolong his career. This is his option. The club did not kick him out early.

Kikau becomes available 2023, if a club is looking to the future, which almost all posters on here have wanted, to get him means changes need to be made to the roster. This is just a fact of running a successful club. Finally, it looks like we have a plan for the roster and changes are taking place. The media seem to be jealous that SGI are actually getting things sorted and there are a few posters who will never be happy, no matter what.

Forward pack being put together, tick. Juniors getting chances, tick. Welded on McGregor players being moved on, tick. Experiment with some positional changes this year, tick. Trying to change the culture, tick. Getting the player payments under control, tick.

I dont know if Griffin is the answer as the long term coach, but I do believe he is what we need at the moment to do the dirty work and make the roster changes that have to happen. Will he get everything right, of course not, no coach does.

Just finished reading the article on Fox Sports and had to come in and check on comments.

Very much agree with your summary, especially the last paragraph. Hook, if anything, is proving to be a great laundryman if anything - the roster has needed a wash & a rinse for some time now. We have a host of players coming off contract in 2022 (some may even fall off the books early given their will be much to play out this pre-season). Come this same time next year, we also have the option to put the following players in the same boat as Sims (contracted for 2023 - but won't be re-signed beyond and free to move on if they can find a better deal aka another NRL club or Super League):

G Burgess
Fuimaono
Kerr
Mbye
McCullough

Hunt will be with us in 2023 given he exercised his player option, but I don't think we should re-sign for 2024. In saying this, given come November next year he'll be open to negotiate for his next contract in 2024, lets see how that affects his performance and motivation next season.

Of the above list, I question how much value we will receive in 2022 - it's very much a wait and see at the moment. Money will need to be freed up to keep our young guns onboard and allow us to remain active and compete in the market.

These journos and their articles though. I mean is it any wonder why the same old clubs have now established themselves, ala English Super League style, in the top four and why clubs like us and the Tigers are continually under the microscope for underachievement? We keep Sims on big money beyond next year, and then he becomes a 50-60 middle player instead of 80min edge player that his salary would command, and the media will be all over us with a blow torch as to what a big mistake it was. Parramatta & Canberra are the same, and they will likely be back under heavy microscope again in the coming 12 months when the respective coaches and boards get rolled over hot coals for them missing their respective premiership windows.

Dragonflies

Juniors
100%, Hooper's article is absolute rubbish. At this stage Sims is still contracted to us for 2022 and we won't be re-signing him for 2023 which makes sense given he'll turn 33 that year and his best games are behind him. We're actually doing the right thing by Sims in giving him an opportunity to look for a club that will give him a contract into 2023 and beyond. The bonus is that this might help us get Kikau, who is five years younger than Sims, coming from a successful club, has a link to Hook and on his day, is one of the best edge forwards in the game. Finally looks like we might be making some plans for the future.
All clubs have to plan ahead,the journos like to give it us for some reason

blacksafake

First Grade

Just another uneducated article from him.
The dragons are only doing what must clubs do & about time too.
Love his line about the “top clubs” will be lining up for him. Let’s see if this happens. I can only see him as a backup to any of the top clubs, not a starter.

TruSaint

Referee
Just another uneducated article from him.
The dragons are only doing what must clubs do & about time too.
Love his line about the “top clubs” will be lining up for him. Let’s see if this happens. I can only see him as a backup to any of the top clubs, not a starter.

The same jounos are calling out poor decisions made by Wests big dollar signings like Packer, etc...
Hypocrites.

Gareth67

First Grade
The man is getting older , not younger and that being the case he is unable to back up his SOO form for the Dragons on a consistent basis .

I like Tariq , but we need younger players to be able to progress. The clubs fault over the last 7 - 8 years has been retaining these aging players and as a result the team is not getting the quality minutes out of them , as they simply no longer have the energy they once did .

One more season and I believe Tariq will be running on some very tired legs , but the point is he will still be here in 2022 .

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
The man is getting older , not younger and that being the case he is unable to back up his SOO form for the Dragons on a consistent basis .

I like Tariq , but we need younger players to be able to progress. The clubs fault over the last 7 - 8 years has been retaining these aging players and as a result the team is not getting the quality minutes out of them , as they simply no longer have the energy they once did .

One more season and I believe Tariq will be running on some very tied legs , but the point is he will still be here in 2022 .
Love Tariq and I hope he stays for 2022 then heads over to the UK for a few seasons to see him out

randomdragon

Juniors
Hate how people talk about he was an origin star blah blah. He was out in origin because half the NSW back row contingent was out injured. If it weren’t for injuries he 100% wouldn’t of played. No big club will give him a 2+ year deal so hooper can get his article and go shine his bald f**king head with it because all he posts is dribble

Latest posts