What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan retires.

TruSaint

Referee
Expected I suppose. Am a big fan. I know he has polarised opinions, but I wish him well.

"So by now I’m sure everyone’s seen the news, and for me that ends my time in the nrl.

"What a journey it’s been from a scrawny little kid at south Tuggeranong to debuting at 18 for the raiders, playing origin at 21 against some of the best players in the era then moving to the dragons, a team I supported growing up and loved every minute of it, and lastly the Sharks which while has ended the way it has I wouldn’t change a thing, it’s been a roller coaster throughout my career but due to my support network and my own grit and determination never gave up or took an easy option, in doing that I got to represent my country and state whilst playing over 200 games.

"To my teammates over the years thank you, staff and coaches alike thank you. Made some lifelong brotherhoods and had some unreal opportunities.

"My next chapter involves community work and hopefully running my own business."

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
When Josh was playing for the Raiders he won 2 matches in the dying minutes against the Dragons and had the makings of a real quality player .

Never quite made it there due to that rebellious streak in him , still he gave his best for our team , certainly wish the man well in his retirement .

Spazer

Juniors
He had one of the slowest play the balls but had some monstrous 40-60m kick returns when playing fb for us which is what I loved about him. Also had some good games at centre which I thought was his best position but wasn't to be.

Duges good.

Genuinely wish him all the best. He copped a lot for stuff seen as bad in some quarters. But played his guts out with us and I reckon also played his best footy with us too. He's one of many who got an origin debut while on our watch last decade.

Always remember his dad in the crowd at a game in the gong, showed on telly - and Josh with a smile on his dial for seeing it. A standout memory for me when I think of him.

All the best Josh - you did more people proud than many will give you credit for mate.

bc62420157e6a521b594f49308217fa9

Dragon David

First Grade
Enjoyed watching Duges play. He terrorised us when he played for the Raiders. It was good that he was able to play with the Dragons - the team he followed as a kid.

Good luck Duges in your future endeavours. I hear the tattoo businesses are needing to see you!

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
A few of the young blokes I worked with that played Raiders juniors always spoke very highly of Duges, said he was always the one out of anyone that wasn't arrogant and would hang around and help the young guys out after training. Despite the trouble he's had I haven't heard anyone say he's not a good bloke. It is a shame we couldn't provide a better coach or two while we had him, Widdp and co.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
A few of the young blokes I worked with that played Raiders juniors always spoke very highly of Duges, said he was always the one out of anyone that wasn't arrogant and would hang around and help the young guys out after training. Despite the trouble he's had I haven't heard anyone say he's not a good bloke. It is a shame we couldn't provide a better coach or two while we had him, Widdp and co.
He sure was a good player, but unfortunately he kept making some poor decisions off the field. I was never surprised when his name was reported in the media as having been involved in some off-field drama.

Will the media rip into the Gummies for tearing up his contract? Or is it OK because the Gummies are not the Dragons?

Coffs dragon

Bench
IMO Duges could of been anything on the field.
Unfortunately, he was bulked up & de-skilled under the 2 P-plater coaches in Peanut & Pricey.
Hence he always seemed to be at his best in Origin away from them.

Old Timer

Coach
Duges efforts on the filed were in line with many great players that pulled on the Big Red V.

Never shirked it and shed plenty of blood & skin for the team.

The press were relentless in their pursuit of him and tbh his misdemeanours were absolutely trivial compared some that actually still remain in the limelight on the field and in the commentary box.

Hardly a bad boy maybe just a tad silly and immature at times but as others said he does a lot of work in the community and is always polite and obliging to anyone who engages him.

Good luck Duges you were a high quality saint.

Latest posts