What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith v Souths semi final

age.s

First Grade
Pretty deflating watch, but you have to credit Souths. They were outstanding tonight and likely would have beaten anyone. Their middle hasn't been able to keep up with ours in recent meetings, but we were well beaten there tonight. They neutralised our biggest weapons, with To'o, Fish and (line break aside) Yeo all having quiet games by their standards. In combination with some dumb mistakes and penalties we simply didn't have the capacity to strangle them like we do most teams.

Crichton and Kikau looked dangerous at times, but they didn't get enough opportunity and the half chances we did create were well snuffed out by some excellent scramble. Cleary kicked well but was on the back foot for much of the game. On the plus side, our defence in our half held up well. Souths normally destroy teams when they win the middle like that, but we kept them to 2 tries which on most nights would be enough.

We're not done yet. We should have the measure of Parra/Newcastle and we were always going to have to beat the Storm. I still think we'd be favoured against whoever we'd come up against in the big one if we get that far. It might be a dash of copium, but I think this team might end up benefitting from the extra minutes more than the week off. The problem this year has been disruption, not fatigue, so an extra game might end up working out for us if the injury gods finally decide to f**k off for a month.

snickers007

Juniors
Theres some absolute losers on this forum....

@Smug Panther

F@ck off idiot haha

This is pretty embarrassing man.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've drunk more than your share. But even so, you're being a massive f**kwit to try and score internet points.

Reality is if people haven't ignored you for your 10000 word essays in every thread, they'll ignore you for this.

chrisD

Coach
All the Lets always be positive Panthers Fans;

Fish is the best prop in the game. LOL he wasn't even the 3rd or 4th on the field tonight. He is good - even great but he is not the best and he has been ordinary at the back end of this year.

Cleary is the best player in the game. Yeah LOL f**king went missing tonight. He still has problems with decision making and lack of creativity. He has no Plan B when things are going wrong - just like his old man as a coach. He still is the best halfback and probably 2nd best player in the league but people are talking him up as if he an Immortal certainty.

Gapewell - ordinary - just ordinary. The less I can say about him the better. Glad we didn't get in a bidding war for him.

TPJ - what a lazy merkin.

Burton - fantastic player but still has a bit of derpiness in his decision making.

Luai - ordinary since Origin. Had some good touches but well below his 2020 form.

Ivan Cleary the Super coach myth should be dead and buried. We cannot break down a committed defence to save our lives. Yeah we can comfortably beat shit teams - even good teams. But not Elite teams who are switched on.

No Plan B by the Cleary's - we just looked lost and worse - we looked stupid out there. How many times did we throw the ball away in the Bunnies 20 on the 2nd or 3rd tackle? So so dumb.

Yeah I haven't mentioned Staines yet - he had a forgettable night but I still think this is on IVAN. His chopping and changing of combinations close to and during the finals has been terrible!

We really missed Leota and Sorenson tonight. Eisenplod is not a Top 17 player in any decent team.

Finally - LOL at the Edwards fans. Critta played better than Edwards generally does. The only good thing about Edwards being back in would have been that we'd have Staines out.
You are very far removed from reality.

The Realist

Juniors
The problem this year has been disruption, not fatigue, so an extra game might end up working out for us if the injury gods finally decide to f**k off for a month.

I disagree with this bit here. Our forwards were puffing hard. I have never seen Fish that unfit in 4 years. He was blowing hard after 25 mins. I get that we are a 'family' club and all that but letting him go off for the birth of his son was a huge mistake. He is sorely lacking match fitness.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I disagree with this bit here. Our forwards were puffing hard. I have never seen Fish that unfit in 4 years. He was blowing hard after 25 mins. I get that we are a 'family' club and all that but letting him go off for the birth of his son was a huge mistake. He is sorely lacking match fitness.
Football means nothing compared to that. Is what it is

TheRiff

Juniors
What is the alternative? They're long high kicks which allow the chase to get there anyway. It's not really any different to how he normally kicks for territory. In attacking range he took whatever kick he wanted, we scored a try off a grubber.
Kick to sideline every so often, Get a line set to belt them as they bring it back. Did we kick it the grass once? Even if it was the usual they weren't the normal swirling ones. Were just too easy

Last edited:

TheRiff

Juniors
All the Lets always be positive Panthers Fans;

Fish is the best prop in the game. LOL he wasn't even the 3rd or 4th on the field tonight. He is good - even great but he is not the best and he has been ordinary at the back end of this year.

Cleary is the best player in the game. Yeah LOL f**king went missing tonight. He still has problems with decision making and lack of creativity. He has no Plan B when things are going wrong - just like his old man as a coach. He still is the best halfback and probably 2nd best player in the league but people are talking him up as if he an Immortal certainty.

Gapewell - ordinary - just ordinary. The less I can say about him the better. Glad we didn't get in a bidding war for him.

TPJ - what a lazy merkin.

Burton - fantastic player but still has a bit of derpiness in his decision making.

Luai - ordinary since Origin. Had some good touches but well below his 2020 form.

Ivan Cleary the Super coach myth should be dead and buried. We cannot break down a committed defence to save our lives. Yeah we can comfortably beat shit teams - even good teams. But not Elite teams who are switched on.

No Plan B by the Cleary's - we just looked lost and worse - we looked stupid out there. How many times did we throw the ball away in the Bunnies 20 on the 2nd or 3rd tackle? So so dumb.

Yeah I haven't mentioned Staines yet - he had a forgettable night but I still think this is on IVAN. His chopping and changing of combinations close to and during the finals has been terrible!

We really missed Leota and Sorenson tonight. Eisenplod is not a Top 17 player in any decent team.

Finally - LOL at the Edwards fans. Critta played better than Edwards generally does. The only good thing about Edwards being back in would have been that we'd have Staines out.
The Cleary's in big games are why we will not win a comp,despite having a stacked side. The use of TPJ is shocking, get him on an edge steamrolling people again

age.s

First Grade
If Fish is sorely lacking match fitness, the last thing you want to give him is a week off.

Latest posts