What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Finals Week 1 vs Parramatta @ Browne Park

Who will win? Finals Week 1: Parramatta v Newcastle

• Parramatta Eels 13+

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Parramatta Eels 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alex28

Coach
Better luck next year
We need to start the transition away from Pearce.
KP needs to work on good positioning and defence instead of getting stupid ink
If Pearce gets an offer which includes next year, we should let him go. We BADLY need a half that can run. Move Ponga into the halves, train Hodgson for the off-season to start at fullback.

Knight Tales

Juniors
If Pearce gets an offer which includes next year, we should let him go. We BADLY need a half that can run. Move Ponga into the halves, train Hodgson for the off-season to start at fullback.
With the modern ruck the way it is going Hodgson should absolutely be a weapon for us. Much like Laurie at the Tigers.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I can’t understand why we look so lost when Pearce doesn’t play. He added nothing today and we were really good. Give us a halfback who has a positive impact and we win.

PhilGould

Bench
We aren't in the game without Ponga's brilliance, but when both packs were out on their feet and the game was there for the taking he went missing.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Agree.
Clifford and Ponga in the halves needs to happen next year.

perverse

Referee
Well we just saw why the chooks packed Mitch's bags for someone who can win the big games.
Mitch definitely shat the bed, but these numbers combined with the domination in contact from Parra is what won them the game. 55/45 possession, field position share would be even worse than that too. The first half was particularly bad, and Parra got the points they deserved at the end of that half as a result.

stats.png

perverse

Referee
We aren't in the game without Ponga's brilliance, but when both packs were out on their feet and the game was there for the taking he went missing.
It's his willingness to tackle (or lackthereof) that pisses me off the most. As you said, we're not in the game without him - but there's elements to his game that are just extremely sub par and you can't just let them slide at his price point.

Johns Magic

Referee
Good on the Eels, they fronted up.

We coulda woulda shoulda been in a position to win that. We played tough, much prouder getting eliminated this year than last year. Just some obvious weak areas. Hopefully we are better next year.

perverse

Referee
To add to my point above as well - we actually took almost every opportunity we got for points today - we just spent so little time in their half due to Parra's work in the middle. I think our outside backs got showed up a bit early in sets, and our forwards weren't as assertive as they had to be. We got bullied. Barney was huge in the second half in bringing us back into the game in the middle. Was all over everything.

aqua_duck

Coach
To add to my point above as well - we actually took almost every opportunity we got for points today - we just spent so little time in their half due to Parra's work in the middle. I think our outside backs got showed up a bit early in sets, and our forwards weren't as assertive as they had to be. We got bullied. Barney was huge in the second half in bringing us back into the game in the middle. Was all over everything.
I thought Hunt was quite good in yardage and had a few offloads too, I think that's an area where Gags will really come in handy and I'd like to see Tuala just put on 4 or 5kg in the off season and play at around that 100kg mark.
I think one bit issue is how one out we play, it just allows opposition teams to throw the kitchen sink at the ball carrier defensively.

perverse

Referee
I thought Hunt was quite good in yardage and had a few offloads too, I think that's an area where Gags will really come in handy and I'd like to see Tuala just put on 4 or 5kg in the off season and play at around that 100kg mark.
I think one bit issue is how one out we play, it just allows opposition teams to throw the kitchen sink at the ball carrier defensively.
Hunt was ok, yeah. Held his gloves up in tough conditions. Tuala was great in scoring, but his size is hard to ignore in a big match like that coming out of yardage.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Watson's last game for us today :(
For a few years at least.

It was good to have a pretty much full strength side but I doubt Klem and Dsaf were at 100%.
So many HIAs too. Didn’t help. Not sure if King failed his but I don’t remember him returning in the 2nd half?

Latest posts