What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons & tigers Fans treated like fools

Coming 4th on the ladder is a fair crack isn’t it, el Hookster couldn’t be doing too badly with communicating with the players based on that fact.

My understanding is that Hook was sacked to make way for Ivan Cleary because I think they advised young Chin ( about the best player on earth) Ivan would soon be procured. It worked like a dream.

Bbq gate was not Hooks fault in any way.

The fallout was entirely mismanaged and he was as big a casualty as you blokes.

Pound for pound, he’s made tough but correct decisions and he’s a great coach.

We’d kill to get him at the Tigers. He’s not perfect, but geez, give him a break!

He’s been to hell and back this year lol. I bet he had no idea what he signed up for!

Neither do our coaches!!

Hey mate!

Great to see you in here.

Re Griffins exit, here’s a few articles at the time outlining it. And from one Jamie Soward… I wonder how these two have gotten on this year….

All quote communication as the major issue. Phil Gould actually had the lead in hiring Griffin originally. Whatever their fallout may have been is irrespective to me… There’s gotta be something seriously wrong with a coach to get punted at that stage…

Hey mate!

Great to see you in here.

Re Griffins exit, here’s a few articles at the time outlining it. And from one Jamie Soward… I wonder how these two have gotten on this year….

All quote communication as the major issue. Phil Gould actually had the lead in hiring Griffin originally. Whatever their fallout may have been is irrespective to me… There’s gotta be something seriously wrong with a coach to get punted at that stage…
hi bbjf!

Yeah I know that’s the prevailing narrative, but he got them too far up the ladder to indicate a catastrophic losing of the changeroom.

I wasn’t there, but surely you saw the old spirit trying to re emerge from behind the closed locker room door this year. Just a couple of dull bangs in the first half of the season.

As for Madge, I think he will survive the review but many underlings will be shot on sight before they leave the building. sell the change a la 2019 Gus review, except we have the coaches head firmly on a block unlike you guys. Whether that helps, I don’t really know.

If the changes are too profound, Madge might walk because like Mary, he won’t like the help.

The old days of a Royal Commission into player selection for each match, the ultimate public humiliation.

We should be learning from you guys ( stop laughing!).

We are in a complete mess. The only way out as the wise @merahputih knows, is by complete unplanned accident. As soon as people plan properly, the bus breaks down at Rockdale. That’s rugby league.

The avatar is old mate thanking the DA for travelling to BankWest despite the loss. Very noble.

Mjab

Juniors
Not sure what you are implying here. Lawrie is a local junior represented both the Blues Under-20s and the Junior Kangaroos. He may not be a huge bopper but he is a willing worker and will take ball up all day. Is that not what our engine room needs. Craig Young was not a big bopper either.. in fact he carried a bit more around the waist than Lawrie and weighed three kilos less. Did not stop him becoming a Kangaroo.
Agree
Lawrie is not that bad , he has limitations and probably wont play SOO
The problem is, he is really a bench forward, but with our packs limitations we expect more of him so we are disappointed a lot .
In a stronger pack , he would be a bench rotation and probably do a reasonable job
He does however seem to give away a disproportionate amount 6 agains and penalties though

TruSaint

Referee
Agree
The problem is, he is really a bench forward, but with our packs limitations we expect more of him so we are disappointed a lot .
In a stronger pack , he would be a bench rotation and probably do a reasonable job
He does however seem to give away a disproportionate amount 6 agains and penalties though

Problem I see mate, is that the game with its current rulings and speed , has nullified the impact of the "Lawries" style.

10 or even 5 years ago, a Blake Lawrie would add starch to a pack , but in todays game he seems to be labouring.

At best, as you say, short bursts with a simple instruction to rack up metres and quick play the balls.

Como Connection

First Grade
Problem I see mate, is that the game with its current rulings and speed , has nullified the impact of the "Lawries" style.

10 or even 5 years ago, a Blake Lawrie would add starch to a pack , but in todays game he seems to be labouring.

At best, as you say, short bursts with a simple instruction to rack up metres and quick play the balls.
Don't go anywhere near the ball when attacking close to the opposition's try line. Should be rule one.
CC

Agree

Agree
When I made my original comment about Lawrie not being athletic, I was really referring to his lack of leg drive which to me he is deficient in. Mind you he is not the only forward in the team with this problem.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Never been an Aussie Rules fan but had a chat on the weekend with an old mate who is a Melbourne Demons tragic. They were big time in the 50's and 60's, won many premierships, were captained by an all time great in Ron Barassi, and then spent 64 years in the wilderness going nowhere and achieving nothing. Except this year where they have made the grand final.

I asked him what had changed. He said the most important thing was that they got rid of their in-bred & incompetent administration (including several board members) a few years back. Success was not instantaneous, but in his words it turned around the culture. They went from a side happy to accept mediocrity to a team striving to improve and achieve. There's no telling how they will go in the Grand Final, but at least they are there.

If success starts at the front office, Melbourne Demons didn't get it until recently. Not sure if we have got it yet.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Agree
A bench forward's job it to come on and bring energy and impact to the team. Not just a bloke who is not good enough to start.

BBTB

Juniors
Never been an Aussie Rules fan but had a chat on the weekend with an old mate who is a Melbourne Demons tragic. They were big time in the 50's and 60's, won many premierships, were captained by an all time great in Ron Barassi, and then spent 64 years in the wilderness going nowhere and achieving nothing. Except this year where they have made the grand final.

I asked him what had changed. He said the most important thing was that they got rid of their in-bred & incompetent administration (including several board members) a few years back. Success was not instantaneous, but in his words it turned around the culture. They went from a side happy to accept mediocrity to a team striving to improve and achieve. There's no telling how they will go in the Grand Final, but at least they are there.

If success starts at the front office, Melbourne Demons didn't get it until recently. Not sure if we have got it yet.
That's because nothing has changed for us.......
Thought that scumbag DOUST,had gone.....but slathered his way back onto the Board, thanks to the shady deal he made with Andy Gordon.......Until all these parasites are gone,nothing will change for or club.......We must be able to VOTE......in a fair & honest
ELECTIONS.....our governance must change.

Dragon David

First Grade
That's because nothing has changed for us.......
Thought that scumbag DOUST,had gone.....but slathered his way back onto the Board, thanks to the shady deal he made with Andy Gordon.......Until all these parasites are gone,nothing will change for or club.......We must be able to VOTE......in a fair & honest
ELECTIONS.....our governance must change.
Without this change, we will remain a bottom 8 club. When there is no accountability, goals are not achieved. The only way for a board of the Dragons to run the business successfully is to put in independent individuals who all have common goals for the interest only of the Club and not for themselves.

BBTB

Juniors
Without this change, we will remain a bottom 8 club. When there is no accountability, goals are not achieved. The only way for a board of the Dragons to run the business successfully is to put in independent individuals who all have common goals for the interest only of the Club and not for themselves.
Yes most definitely.
The players see what's going on at board level.....cronies covering up for each other...& so on.
If it's corrupt at the top....(board,president, chairman, etc)
The team will never perform
at the elite level.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes most definitely.
The players see what's going on at board level.....cronies covering up for each other...& so on.
If it's corrupt at the top....(board,president, chairman, etc)
The team will never perform
at the elite level.
The one common denominator throughout this Forum is the performance of the Board, Coaches, Players. We know where the shortfalls and pitfalls are but those who run the club are treating the business like a hit and giggle and missing so many shots rather than trying to serve aces with every decision.

BBTB

Juniors
I actually concur w this article...we are f**ked unit but I blame the Gordons 10000% they are cancer to this team/club/joint venture/bastard team or whatever we are ...they have no ambition...its a toy for them to keep local boys happy and employed...
Guess who brokered the deal,then supposedly retired.
Yes,noneother than that Toxic parasite "Peter Doust".
Then turns up on the "Board"
Thanks to our numbscull chairman "little Andy Gordon " paying off Doust for a job well done .What a laughing stock our once proud club has become.
These low life parasites have ruined our proud club & should be held accountable, IN A COURT of LAW.😡😡

You can't just say that the JV structure is the problem. There are plenty of single entity clubs that are a joke as well. Knights won three wooden spoons in a row, Titans and Warriors have never done much good, Parramatta hasn't won a Grand Final since 1986, etc etc. The issue isn't the joint venture, it's a dysfunctional board. Whatever their focus is on, it's not performance on the field.
But I'd rather be a joke as a single entity, than joke as a JV.

Straight Shooter

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I'm getting pi55ed off with all the Sims is a local boy who wants to or should be extended & finish his career here. He's only been here since 2016 after playing for the cowboys & knights.
If it was people like Nighty, Hornby, Creagh, Coops,Young etc I would understand.
Jesus the press love to bash us.
Imagine if we do happen to snare someone like Kikau to replace him the press would probably say we've paid far too much, he's not worth it blah,blah,blah.
Yep- Sims seems to have the same media mafia supporting him as Mary- they're "good blokes"- that's the beginning and end of the argument- fans are more discerning than that- we also want evidence of that these "good blokes" are also consistently performing as players and coaches. Neither Mary nor Sims pass that test.

TruSaint

Referee
You can't just say that the JV structure is the problem. There are plenty of single entity clubs that are a joke as well. Knights won three wooden spoons in a row, Titans and Warriors have never done much good, Parramatta hasn't won a Grand Final since 1986, etc etc. The issue isn't the joint venture, it's a dysfunctional board. Whatever their focus is on, it's not performance on the field.

Hard to argue @JohnnoMcJohnno , however the "sales pitch " was that both STGI and the WT would become powerhouses in their respective regions, and save the NRL from making hard calls on Sydney Clubs.

I am not denying that teams like Parra, NZ, and the farce on the Gold Coast have all failed. We entered into a JV so as NOT to be in that group.

Like you, its not the JV I blame. The concept I have ultimately embraced. Its the divisive board. It simply hasnt worked... to date..

Latest posts