What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers v Parra

Vicpanther

Juniors
In that 30 years of supporting the club, Where would this 2021 squad rank?

In theory you are correct but the reality is rarely has the Penrith Club had so much elite talent
in talent wise or my personal choice? talent wise on par with 90-91 squad. personal choice second to 07-2012 era. very close to all time favourite though.

soc123_au

Staff member
What happens this season doesn’t alter or change our passion for supporting the club. It does for some apparently but they are fickle and frankly not TRUE fans.

Westylife suggested what is the point of competing in our competition if you can’t win. WOW. Go figure that.

What a shit season, go figure.
No one has suggested they will burn their jerseys and abandon the club if we lose tomorrow.
Given the team we have and the regular season win rate over the last two years to have it get very shaky in the finals both years is a concern. Imo Ivan shits himself in the big games and it's a worry. If we don't win a comp in this window it is a failure. I got my first Panthers jersey in 1978 and won't be going anywhere regardless. I survived the eighties supporting Penrith, so I can survive anything.

TheRiff

Juniors
This sport has a strong tendency to overreact to current events. The choosing of half our side for the Origin series in response to our good form and to hell with what it does to our season is a perfect example of this. NSW might have won Origin, but it has done nothing for our premiership campaign. It cost us the minor premiership for a start, Nathan was injured and still isn't at his best, and several others (Capewell, Luai, Martin) haven't been the same since. Maybe they'll spread the load a little more in future.

We lost 3 games all year in any other year, Storm had 20 wins in 2019 and 2017. Roosters lost 8 games in 2018 and won the Minor Premiership.

Out of 44 regular season games across the last 2 seasons, We have lost 4. There was an article on NRL.com about that,It is the best in 60 years. These last 2 years are history making across the game, There is no excuse for not going on with it

TheRiff

Juniors
No one has suggested they will burn their jerseys and abandon the club if we lose tomorrow.
Given the team we have and the regular season win rate over the last two years to have it get very shaky in the finals both years is a concern. Imo Ivan shits himself in the big games and it's a worry. If we don't win a comp in this window it is a failure. I got my first Panthers jersey in 1978 and won't be going anywhere regardless. I survived the eighties supporting Penrith, so I can survive anything.

An older fan, Where would you rate this squad strength wise in all your time watching the game?

soc123_au

Staff member
An older fan, Where would you rate this squad strength wise in all your time watching the game?
It's hard to compare era's but on par with 03-04 I think. Attack isn't close, but defence making up for it.

We are lacking the hard edge that we had 89-91.

TheRiff

Juniors
It's hard to compare era's but on par with 03-04 I think. Attack isn't close, but defence making up for it.

We are lacking the hard edge that we had 89-91.

The lack of hard edge isn't a surprise, The farce in the media after the Canberra game. Bennett trolling them before last week, Any sort of thing like that seems to affect them.

I was 16 in 2003 but I certainly have this side up there with that era side, Which is why shitting the bed in the big games pisses me off more than it seems to others

The Realist

Juniors
The lack of hard edge isn't a surprise, The farce in the media after the Canberra game. Bennett trolling them before last week, Any sort of thing like that seems to affect them.

I was 16 in 2003 but I certainly have this side up there with that era side, Which is why shitting the bed in the big games pisses me off more than it seems to others

The level of understanding in the 03 spine is under appreciated. They understood instinctively what the others were going to do. Wesser being an actual attacking threat also helped that team. He was not only a great support player, he was fantastic at breaking tackles and had the speed and agility to turn them into tries.

The momentum that team possessed was also huge. Lang, and Clinton battering rams, followed by the hair bears running onto the ball at speed. Waterhouse was a threat down the middle, was quick and agile for his size, could break tackles and offload at will. Waterhouse and Ross coming off the bench was insane.

It is true that this team wasn’t Great defensively….but they really didn’t need to be. It just needed to be good enough, and it was. Much like Souths did to us last week, the 03 Panthers could defend when they truly had to at the pointy end of the season, the GF being the best example.

Original Name

Juniors
Like Moses, Blake and Matterson, very good players who tanked in order to join Parra. You can hardly blame people for remembering those efforts.
Was mentally recovering from his second broken jaw. Not everyone can run full pelt at a brick wall after that. Like players will play with little confidence in their leg after doing an ACL.

snickers007

Juniors
Have just looked at Parramatta's updated squad. I think their bench is a bit light. Last week the Rabbits smashed us in the forwards, and had 3 middles on the bench. Eels this week have 3 back rowers on the bench.

Probably means that Ray Stone plays the first 25 at Hooker and Will Smith the remainder, and Stone, Matterson and Papallii to have stints in the middle.

Should be a very different game to last week. I'm expecting a score to be run up, just not sure which way it will go yet.

I'm worried about our fitness, bringing players back too soon, and mental fatigue from last week. If the Eels score a couple of early tries we could check out.

But if we get into the grind, hold the ball and stay patient, we should run over them in the second half.

I'm always really nervous on game days during finals, last Saturday I had nothing to do and the day just dragged. Luckily today I've got 15 tonne of dirt to push around my yard, so at least my mind will be occupied.

Let's go Panthers!!

martielang

Bench
South’s are a good team but they are a team who (IMO) are a rung or two below us. While it’s not a disgrace to lose to them given how they played, I think there is a bit of choke in there from us.

We lose tonight and that’s full choke mode activated. Not so much because Parra are a bad side, cos I don’t think they are, more because of our dominance over this season and last.

Nealo 12

Bench
View attachment 54042

@strider I've left then a death spirit.
music video cross GIF

I thy swart you demon back to where thee comeeth from !
But first can I have your phone number