What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

emjaycee

Coach
Yeah I was talking specifically to a player leaving because we couldn’t tell him who the coach would be. That’s only an issue if someone convinces him it’s an issue. The 5 teams above us on ladder might, but really the player would more be leaving to chase success. A player isn’t going to fall for it from a team below us, they’d only sign with them for more money (or opportunity in the case of some of the lower squad members)
Hynes, Ado-Carr, Finucane all say hi although they all went somewhere where they new who would be coaching them.

TheRam

Coach
BA’s ability to develop players and identify “cheapies”……and a footy GM managing the financial side…

And who hired or rehired these people?

Wouldn't it be the same people that would also be in charge of hiring a new coach when it's time?

lucablight

First Grade
And the drop off by Sivo, N Brown, D Brown (in attack, defence always good) and Lane plus Opacic for most of the year instead of Mennings makes the side about the same.

Also Gutho was better last year than this year (Dally M fullback of the year 2020)
I don’t think Sivo, NBrown and DBrown were much different to what they were last season. I’d consider Penisini and Jennings a like for like swap. Gutherson was better last season but I think he was playing busted.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
And who hired or rehired these people?

Wouldn't it be the same people that would also be in charge of hiring a new coach when it's time?
They may make a good decision on the new coach, but doesn’t mean a player doesn’t want to know who the coach is before they sign…..a coach has a fair say in a players future, additionally playing style/structure and personalities affects a players ability to perform.

anyhow let’s see how successful we are in re-signing players before our 2023 coach is known…….

84 Baby

Referee
Hynes, Ado-Carr, Finucane all say hi although they all went somewhere where they new who would be coaching them.
Reynolds, capewell, Burton….…
Are we being facetious? Firstly the main group we’re worried about are resignings. I’ve already admitted not having coach makes it more difficult to attract outsiders BUT as is the case with all of the above do you honestly reckon they changed clubs because of the coach? 3 of them are leaving the club with the longest tenured coach in the history of coaches FFS. Perhaps it impacted which club they chose but 2 each are going to the spooners for past 2 years. I reckon who the coach was played little part in their moves. Except maybe Burton wanting to hook back up with Barrett. How certain do you think he believes Barrett’s job is?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If we lose Marata for example, he'll be going to play under Nathan Brown. So we know for sure it's not about the coach.
I doubt any one factor decides it for any player. And the choice between the more and less attractive option (e.g. geography, strength of roster or coaching) can always be made up by more money.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Out of the coaching uncertainty, and it’s less the uncertainty as the potential of BA leaving, the only player I am worried about is Penisini. And I think he is contracted through 2023.
He will be targeted for sure.
Penisini is one of only eight players not free to negotiate from 01-Nov. Sivo and Lane are two others. They're not going anywhere.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We are talking about NRL juniors here mate not the best electrician in the country that is in demand not only domestically, but internationally and world renown.

Get a grip pal. Footy players are a dime a dozen. @hindy111 is a one of a kind electrical maestro genius and everyone knows it. Demand has been at fever pitch since he was 12, in long pant, and he slipped on his first pair of rubber shoes.

As for our juniors getting poached, like I said, if we set it up with the right scouts and development officers and systems in place, we would lose very few if any of the real good ones that we wanted. The only ones that may sneak through should be the late bloomer, or personal reasons type. Otherwise we keep them ALL.

No kid leaves and goes to out of the area if we look after him. Why would you? They love playing at home and with their mates. We just have to make sure that we recognise them and keep on them so they know we value them. Most of the kids that I am seeing that come back to bite us have been the Schuster type, where we neglected them and it was obvious that they were the best in their age group coming through. That should NEVER happen. That is a weakness in our people and a breakdown in our systems.
Sure but you're talking about recruiting players. I'm talking about recruiting the people who recruit the players. They are in high demand.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He is hardly a super coach after all. I think the best we could say about the guy is that he is a solid disciplinarian that got the job done once when all the stars aligned for him and his team. But they also had Sam Burgess, who besides being the best forward in the world at the time is said to be of high quality coaching ability too. So that tells us that maybe Mag had some considerable help at the time by having a great player and coach in waiting on the field at the time when they went on to glory.
I think this is the case for every successful coach. Bennett said as much in his book, and the list of premiership winners supports it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But but but that’s all we can afford apparently………. We just don’t have the money to match with the top clubs. Just need to face facts. BA forever!!!
We might not be desperate but that doesn't mean we have as much to spend as the bigger clubs. Do you think we agreed to retain Arthur's on a pay cut because we thought the best coaches are cheap?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And who's to say his mate doesn't want to come home and play with his best mate?

It is still so unbelievable how we weren't in the mix for this kid when Souths were giving him up. Surely we could of moved someone on to fit him in if we had to. As we all know the Roosters were the last team on earth that they wanted the kid to go to.
A kid from Mt Druitt who found himself at a private school? He will have social climbing in his DNA. That's why the only NRL clubs he's ever been affiliated with are based in the most expensive real estate in the country.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No you are wrong. By what has been mentioned on these forums before about the people in charge of our junior leagues, he/they suck and need to be pissed off. You can call it what you like, but hiring better people is shedding lesser ones. You are playing semantics.
Not really. I think we don't have enough people doing the work. If we needed to replace the head of the junior recruitment/retention program we don't need to sack the current guy. We can keep his expertise (he must have some or we wouldn't have had so many SG Ball players carving up in reserve grade) and move him to a more suitable job.
Either we need better people to go further and be better or we don't. When there are champion kids that stand out like dogs balls playing in our catchment area and we can't see them as is the case with the 2 best ones playing at Manly right now, then the people that are in charge now are not good enough at their job and need to be shed/let go and better eyes and brains need to replace them.
This is where you're wrong. Every club knows who the best junior players are. They just don't all have the same recruiting power in signing them. Look at Suaali, he's from the Penrith district but couldn't get out of there quick enough when Souths came knocking. As soon as the Roosters decided they wanted him he wiped Souths like a dirty bum. Do you think the Bunnies didn't know how good he was? Everyone did. But only one club could get him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Thanks for confirming what I said. Ffs…
I was making a separate point (two actually), but using yours as a segue.

Dk8dF-.gif

84 Baby

Referee
Whoever did this, did good
I think most fans at the time were thinking why would you upgrade him if he’s already under contract as development player and unlikely to feature this season.
Sometimes I think people at the club are smarter than me.

And then I laugh

Latest posts