What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
I bet everyone knew how good those kids were. They watch all the games. They can see who the best players are.

"Parra didn't want him" is code for Parra couldn't offer as much as this other moneybags club, without making the player and his family look like disloyal mercenary merkins. But bogans gonna boag.

Mate two of these players couldn't even get a game. Klemmer for example was playing in the 3rd grade team at the time for his age group and the Bulldogs scout at the time knew him and couldn't believe it so told him if he wanted a game in first to come over to the bulldogs and they would look after him. So he did.

Our club and other lesser clubs are constantly overlooking some of the better juniors. It's a major part of why they are constantly also rans. We have improved on this somewhat, but I still think we have some work to do in this area.

Why is it so hard for you to believe that some clubs do not know what they are doing, or get things wrong and struggle to get it right? We were like that for ages. Thankfully we are now setting things right in most areas.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Mate two of these players couldn't even get a game. Klemmer for example was playing in the 3rd grade team at the time for his age group and the Bulldogs scout at the time knew him and couldn't believe it so told him if he wanted a game in first to come over to the bulldogs and they would look after him. So he did.

Our club and other lesser clubs are constantly overlooking some of the better juniors. It's a major part of why they are constantly also rans. We have improved on this somewhat, but I still think we have some work to do in this area.

Why is it so hard for you to believe that some clubs do not know what they are doing, or get things wrong and struggle to get it right? We were like that for ages. Thankfully we are now setting things right in most areas.
Imagine if Pou was a Tigers supporter?? Lol he’d be saying how good the club is and how good it’s being run and all the decisions are correct because those people are on the inside and know more than us idiots looking in.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Imagine if Pou was a Tigers supporter?? Lol he’d be saying how good the club is and how good it’s being run and all the decisions are correct because those people are on the inside and know more than us idiots looking in.
Surely you're not fu*king talking about our fu*king Poo, fu*king?

TheRam

Coach
@TheRam would make it happen. He doesn't give a f**k whether some merkin is already under contract.

No if I thought we needed him and that he is a good fit for our club, I would inquire and put feelers out to see how happy he felt at the Broncos and if he wanted a change? I would show him a lot of love and interest in all my approaches to him. That is the first step in any good courtship. Show that you are way more interested in everything about him then his current neglectful and to often, taking him for granted partner.

If I sense weakness and see a batting eyelid or two, then I move in with the wining and dining, always flashing a broad sweet and sexy smile with the occasional amorous joke like, "Can I borrow a kiss? I promise I’ll give it back." type of banter. Then while metaphorically the wine is flowing and the smiles and giggles are easy and fun, I'll make my move and before he knows it his upstairs in my hotel room and his pants are on the floor with my pen in his hand.

But the fun and laughter should never stop until he signs on the dotted line and the deal is sealed. So even while we are on our way up to my room I keep slipping in a joke or two and a promise just so he doesn't get spooked at the last minute, something like, " Listen gorgeous, I know I’m no Fred Flintstone, but if you trust me I bet I can make the bed-rock", as I'm opening the door to the room.

What I show him in that room should be very impressive though and I should be at the top of my game. If I don't shit the bed or disappoint and keep blowing his mind on every subsequent engagement, maybe even introduce friends to the party and make it a swinging old time like he has never had before, well then before we know it, he's like a summer baby delivered to us over the Xmas break. A gift that we never every expected but love like a squirrel loves nuts.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

I wouldn't say don't know what they are doing, but getting things wrong ? Absolutely, I agree and sometimes it's just not their fault.

There are a few instances where some clubs have paid well overs for a NSW Cup player or Ball player and they get all excited about the future but the player just nos not turn his junior form into NRL form.

Salmon for example was a decent junior with pace and a decent defender but I don't think he ever progressed at the Eels, and the Sharkies were keen on keeping him.

And some will be quick to blame BA for whatever reason but remember the Sharks had big plans for him as well.

Some kids at junior level just don't take the next step. It's a hard call getting them all right.

Then there is the other side of the argument where players are not rated and picked up by another club and excell, Ice for example. Again I don't think it was BA's doing but the Warriors just got it wrong.

It happens, plenty more examples out there too.

Cloeel

Juniors
No if I thought we needed him and that he is a good fit for our club, I would inquire and put feelers out to see how happy he felt at the Broncos and if he wanted a change? I would show him a lot of love and interest in all my approaches to him. That is the first step in any good courtship. Show that you are way more interested in everything about him then his current neglectful and to often, taking him for granted partner.

I disagree. That is like employing the "low self esteem ex/wannabe boyfriend method".

Showing you or your organisation is high value and does not require "showing him a lot of love and interest", your already powerful reputation should dictate that. You automatically devalue yourself doing what you have said.

Look at the Melbourne Storm and Sydney Roosters.

Also showing disinterest creates curiosity. Especially when your success is doing the talking.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Every Sydney NRL club scouts all over Sydney. If a club doesn't have the scouting resources to watch third division games it's because those resources are being directed elsewhere. I'd suggest the are diminishing returns from watching the nuffy grades. You'll notice no other Sydney club signed Klemmer either. Looks like Canterbury were just fortunate their scout knew the kid. Right place at the right time. It's similar to how none of the clubs rated Keary as a youngster.

How did we get Mahoney from the Dogs? They had obviously stopped spending so much on junior recruitment/retention. It's an expense, and most clubs can't afford to keep spending big on it year after year.

TheRam

Coach

That about sums him up alright. But I suppose he is partially right...he has no clue.

TheRam

Coach
I disagree. That is like employing the "low self esteem ex/wannabe boyfriend method".

Showing you or your organisation is high value and does not require "showing him a lot of love and interest", your already powerful reputation should dictate that. You automatically devalue yourself doing what you have said.

Look at the Melbourne Storm and Sydney Roosters.

Also showing disinterest creates curiosity. Especially when your success is doing the talking.

Obviously you should have a excellent reputation and a great abode to show him. If you are a bum living under the bridge(Tigers) that toothless smile ain't going to seduce no one but a crack arse whore(Milf) desperate for some sugar.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I wouId be surprised if Klemmer was playing Division 3 in juniors…unless it was his first season, clubs only side or he requested too. It would have had nothing to do with the eels.

hindy111

Post Whore
Every Sydney NRL club scouts all over Sydney. If a club doesn't have the scouting resources to watch third division games it's because those resources are being directed elsewhere. I'd suggest the are diminishing returns from watching the nuffy grades. You'll notice no other Sydney club signed Klemmer either. Looks like Canterbury were just fortunate their scout knew the kid. Right place at the right time. It's similar to how none of the clubs rated Keary as a youngster.

How did we get Mahoney from the Dogs? They had obviously stopped spending so much on junior recruitment/retention. It's an expense, and most clubs can't afford to keep spending big on it year after year.

They told him he was to small.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No I'd be saying that failing with a proven premiership winner as head coach proves that there are systemic issues that won't be solved by replacing the head coach. Why do you think the top coaches never go there?

TheRam

Coach
I wouId be surprised if Klemmer was playing Division 3 in juniors…unless it was his first season, clubs only side or he requested too. It would have had nothing to do with the eels.

Oh really? I can't find or remember the original article that goes into detail about him at the time and how we basically brushed him, but here is a quote from the guy who got him to the Bulldogs.

Mulholland recalled this week: “He was wearing a size 18 shoe when he was 15. He came from Parramatta but they didn’t want to do anything with him as a 15-year-old so I brought him over to play Harold Matthews at Canterbury.”

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Oh really? I can't find or remember the original article that goes into detail about him at the time and how we basically brushed him, but here is a quote from the guy who got him to the Bulldogs.

Mulholland recalled this week: “He was wearing a size 18 shoe when he was 15. He came from Parramatta but they didn’t want to do anything with him as a 15-year-old so I brought him over to play Harold Matthews at Canterbury.”
Mate that was 2008. We know we had stopped spending money on junior 'development' at the time because Jason Taylor bitched out Hagan over it. We had a strong NRL side and strong junior rep teams. It's a pretty obvious place to save money for a club trying to stay under budget. The Bulldogs were obviously still spending plenty on poaching youngsters back then - they not only won Harold Matts in 2009 (beating us in the grand final) but SG Ball too, where they beat noted junior development powerhouse the Melbourne Storm in the grand final, captained by Bankstown born and bred country boy Dale Finucane. If they identified Klemmer as having NRL potential it's because they had more (and better) junior scouts on their payroll.

TheRam

Coach
Mate that was 2008. We know we had stopped spending money on junior 'development' at the time because Jason Taylor bitched out Hagan over it. We had a strong NRL side and strong junior rep teams. It's a pretty obvious place to save money for a club trying to stay under budget. The Bulldogs were obviously still spending plenty on poaching youngsters back then - they not only won Harold Matts in 2009 (beating us in the grand final) but SG Ball too, where they beat noted junior development powerhouse the Melbourne Storm in the grand final, captained by Bankstown born and bred country boy Dale Finucane. If they identified Klemmer as having NRL potential it's because they had more (and better) junior scouts on their payroll.

Oh so some clubs don't know who the best juniors are? Bit different then your earlier statement mate.

Anyway I don't care what the reasons are, what I do care about is that we aren't one of them. Money should never be the reason for a club like ours. We should never sacrifice junior identification or development, because once you do it is always much more expensive in the long run to get out of the hole that you will find yourself in and takes years to get back what you once had.

All I ever hear from you is excuses as to why we were crap or are crap. You never seem to get that for a club like ours it is not a lack of resources or finances, but a lack of talent at the top and bad decisions along the way because of it. We need to hire the right people in all the areas that need improving.

Hopefully, we are slowly addressing this and will never find ourselves back down to that ridiculously low level ever again.

Latest posts