What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL issue Penrith breach notice over trainer incident

NRL breach notice to Panthers​

National Rugby League | September 21 2021 12:44PM

The National Rugby League (NRL) has issued the Penrith Panthers with a Breach Notice proposing the Club be fined $25,000 and the Club's Orange Trainer suspended from accessing the field of play and sideline for the remainder of the 2021 season after an alleged breach of the game's Operations Manual.

The Breach Notice alleges the Club's Orange Trainer stopped play incorrectly in the 76th minute of Saturday night's NRL Telstra Premiership Final against the Parramatta Eels.

The Manual makes it clear that a Head Trainer can only stop play after making an initial assessment that circumstances require a doctor to enter the field of play.

The NRL has also issued a warning to the Club's Blue Trainer for his role in the stoppage.

The club will be permitted to use an alternative staff member in the Orange trainer role for the remainder of the season to ensure the welfare of Panthers players.

The Panthers have 5 business days to respond to the Breach Notice. A provisional suspension applies until the Club's response has been received.

LINK: NRL breach notice to Panthers » League Unlimited

Rocket man

Juniors
The funny thing about your post is that none of that matters. Parra followed the HIA protocol with Blake, which allows for the game to be stopped to get the player off the field.

Penrith did not follow the correct protocol for non-concussion injuries, which states that the trainer must make an initial assessment first before calling for the game to be stopped. He did not do that. Despite being allowed to run on to the field to look after an injured player at any time, he ran straight to the touch judge first. His sole concern was to stop play, not look after the injured player. I‘ve seen Panthers fans claim the touch judge is in the wrong, but it’s not his job to know whether the trainer has assessed the player first - he has to keep his eye on the play.

The strawman arguments I’ve seen in this thread from moaning Panthers fans has been hilarious.

What about Fergo! Sure it was a terrible look, and we all wish players could be punished for it, but the reality is there’s no rule against it. There IS a rule against what the Panthers trainer did, in black and white.

What about Moses! Unfortunately there’s no rule against exaggerating contact looking for an obstruction penalty. If there was, Viliame Kikau would be the most punished man in the NRL.

The Panthers cheated, they got caught, and now they need to take their medicine and stop f**king whinging about it.
I think their medicine was a spoon full of sugar!

The_Frog

First Grade
Kenny was in line with the play the ball but was 20 metres behind it! So to say he was "near enough" is just complete bollards. The Panthers could have gotten Kenny off the field and subbed without disrupting play at all, but chose to do the opposite because their defence was on the back foot. No one had even attended to Kenny to know how serious the injury was.
12 metres behind the dummy half in the photo widely circulated. They thoughtfully put in 10 metre lines to help with this, but I know people like to exaggerate. It is entirely possible that he could have got in the way of the play on the next tackle.

JB04

Juniors
Most likely very similar to what we saw from Madge on the Tigertown doco. "Stop the f**king game" No hint of "Quick, check on the welfare of (insert injured players name) we need to make sure he is safe"

He definately could of. We know all coaches do it.

Michael Macguire instructs his trainers to do it in their infamous TV documentary. Though it appeared his trainers either didn't want to or they were too incompetent. Resulted in the opposition scoring a try.

Riff fans backed into a corner so reverted to doing what they do best - shitting on the Tigs

Perth Red

Post Whore
12 metres behind the dummy half in the photo widely circulated. They thoughtfully put in 10 metre lines to help with this, but I know people like to exaggerate. It is entirely possible that he could have got in the way of the play on the next tackle.
yes possible but that should be the refs discretion imo. Its unlikely and the guy didnt need a Dr so play on. In an era where we are constantly fiddling with the rules to increase the flow of the game its a dumb idea to stop play for injuries that aren't serious.

simple solutions
1. VR cant adjudicate on foul play
2. Ref discretion is play needs to be stopped and judged on if play is likely to be impeded or DR is needed on field. If latter player has to go off for 15min medical check min.

We are at a crossroads with milking, do nothing and the fergo farce will become the norm and we'll be like soccer. Main reason I could never follow football was the play acting. Watching a RL player get up after a hit or an injury was a badge of honour, now the modern players are happy to look like wimps at the slightest knock.

soc123_au

Staff member
Riff fans backed into a corner so reverted to doing what they do best - shitting on the Tigs
I like the Tigers and hope they get their shit together. I would have used the examples we would have seen from any of the other teams docos but they didn't make any.

Knight76

Juniors
Good post, can you email this to AOB and the knights trainer
Thanks in advanced.

Sure thing, and I've booked you in to the centre for adults wo can't read good as well.

See where I wrote "all teams"!

Knights do it also, and it shits me no end regardless of the team. I've seen knights players (josh king for instance) subbed off for a HIA at the end of their shift, no head knock prior to it, nothing. He must have fallen over in back play and bumped his noggin. I've seen a knights player injured clearly his leg, subbed off with the head tap. Or on the 2nd line dropout suddenly a player collapses to the ground in the in goal with a concussion or whatever, play stopped whilst HIA assessment is done and D gets a breather.

I watch a lot of Knights games obviously, but I watch a lot of RL in general.

It happens with all teams and I see it with all teams. This Penrith one was next level. No trainer went to the player yet play was stopped by a trainer on the sideline talking to the touchy.

soc123_au

Staff member
Sure thing, and I've booked you in to the centre for adults wo can't read good as well.

See where I wrote "all teams"!

Knights do it also, and it shits me no end regardless of the team. I've seen knights players (josh king for instance) subbed off for a HIA at the end of their shift, no head knock prior to it, nothing. He must have fallen over in back play and bumped his noggin. I've seen a knights player injured clearly his leg, subbed off with the head tap. Or on the 2nd line dropout suddenly a player collapses to the ground in the in goal with a concussion or whatever, play stopped whilst HIA assessment is done and D gets a breather.

I watch a lot of Knights games obviously, but I watch a lot of RL in general.

It happens with all teams and I see it with all teams. This Penrith one was next level. No trainer went to the player yet play was stopped by a trainer on the sideline talking to the touchy.
I get that you are saying that it shits you when your team does it, but using the examples you've given and then stated Kenny was next level says to me that the biggest error here was Kenny clutching his injured ankle instead of his head.

seanoff

Juniors
The AFL stopped this shit years ago. The AFL game only stops for player directly in the play or you need a stretcher. So the coaches were telling players to stay down to arrest momentum, get carried off on a stretcher. Pop up and be back on within a couple of minutes. So they went ok, stretcher, they can stay off. It suddenly stopped

rugby league games should only stop for stretcher or directly in the play.

We thought he had a broken ankle, on what evidence? He wasnt in the play, nowhere near it. So keep playing. If he needed a stretcher, stop the play then.

Player safety? He could have been attended to and removed from the field without any difference to how it happened anyway.

The nannying and black and white rules enforcement has made the game infuriating. How many tries have been called obstruction when the only thing obstructed was the end on camera angle. How many crushers are on the attacker, turning their backs on the tackle and then holding their necks for at best incidental contact. And the tactic of having someone go down and stop the attacking momentum just for kicks Aaarrgghhh.

soc123_au

Staff member
Anyway I've said all I'm going to on this subject. I'm well aware we did the wrong thing and I'm probably making myself look like a f**kwit looking like I'm trying to defend it. I really need to learn to embrace the hate.

Chippy73

Bench
I'd be pissed at my clubs coaching staff if they pulled a stunt like what happened (as in deliberately stopping play via a non-player exploiting the rules in the last minutes of a final)..it's just flat out dishonorable.

blaza88z

Coach
Penrith will do it again this weekend if given the opportunity and why wouldn't they?

25k is nothing, when you consider what's at stake.. some trainer who can easily be replaced has to sit out 2 weeks, who cares?

Abacus

Juniors
Would you be cool with winning a premiership like that? Not having a go, but personally I would not.
Yep, I'm not worried about replacing a genuinely injured player and winning a comp as a result. Clubs have won comps while cheating the cap, so this is minor in comparison.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep, I'm not worried about replacing a genuinely injured player and winning a comp as a result. Clubs have won comps while cheating the cap, so this is minor in comparison.
haha loses sht at Storm winning finals when cheating, happy to see his club cheat to win a final. doh.

Latest posts