What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Finals 2021

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Hard to see Penrith getting up again but hoping for it

Not much we can do about the draw, played Souths in Rd 2, Penrith 4 without Tom and pushed them hard in round 8

Flogged Parra twice and the first time they were flying in 2nd place

Izz

Bench
If anything, of the remaining teams, the flat track bully tag should apply to Penrith... right Girds? 🤣🤣🤣

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think people are writing off Penrith because physically and mentally they're likely to be cooked, whilst Melbourne couldn't be more cherry ripe. Penrith have injuries, Melbourne (as far as I'm aware) don't.

Izz

Bench
I'm on Team Penrith/Ives all the way but i struggle to see them getting up over a fully rested Storm

JJ

Immortal
Will be interesting, but the bottom line is injuries or not, I don't see Manly or Souths getting over Melbourne (or getting terribly close), or Penrith for that matter - big f**k up to lose to Souths, but I still think back to 91, that team had many injuries - people forget Geyer, Cartwright and Izzard were playing broken (Canberra had injuries too), but they just refused to die despite Harrigan dudding them, the loss in 90 was key - question is whether this lot have the same character and burning desire - they are certainly capable - Melbourne will *to use some popular rhetoric) 'go hard and early'... hopefully they're not up by 20 after 20

Blair

Coach
Will be interesting, but the bottom line is injuries or not, I don't see Manly or Souths getting over Melbourne (or getting terribly close), or Penrith for that matter - big f**k up to lose to Souths, but I still think back to 91, that team had many injuries - people forget Geyer, Cartwright and Izzard were playing broken (Canberra had injuries too), but they just refused to die despite Harrigan dudding them, the loss in 90 was key - question is whether this lot have the same character and burning desire - they are certainly capable - Melbourne will *to use some popular rhetoric) 'go hard and early'... hopefully they're not up by 20 after 20
If Melbourne beat Penrith they might - just that little bit - think they've already won the lot. Manly or Souths, particularly their coaches, will be on to that possibilty.

News out today that the Penrith trainer (who stopped play with Eels likely to score at the end) has been stood down by the NRL for the rest of the season. The club have also been fined 25-grand.

Oh, yeah, while I'm at it, is it Friday yet?

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Man, I would just love a Penrith v Souths final.

Basically, I'd prefer any of the remaining teams aside from Melbourne to win. But Melbourne are looking good. Still, Penrith and Souths are capable of beating them on the day.

Reactions: JJ

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Heard Lowie on SENZ yesterday afternoon and that got me in the mood for the weekend

Storm v Panthers. Would love the Panthers to get up, have huge reservations though. Luai has been dreadful since Origin and there seems to be nothing to flick his switch. The backline combos also seem weaker than when they were hot at the start of the year, Crichton was playing centre at that point, he feels wasted on the wing. Start will be crucial, need to stay in the fight early and get Melbourne frustrated. Ref will play a huge role too, if Melbourne are allowed to flop in, lay in the ruck and only be back 8m like a couples of weeks back it will be very tough

Souths v Manly, 55/45 Souths way for me, fairly every matched

Forward packs both underrated and may cancel each other out. Game really comes down to if the Manly right edge can stop Souths left, and if Souths can stop any momentum that Turbo thrives off. When Souths were struggling in D mid season it was when their line speed was zero.
Keppie was enormous starting last week and they’ll keep that formula with Taupau coming off the bench the same the sameness time Burgess does. The 2 young edge backrowers for Manly have been quiet, 1 of them may explode. Dylan Walker after 25mins May be the wildcard in this game.

Been a really strange finals series for me, no intensity watching either game as both results were decided within 10mins

JJ

Immortal
If Melbourne beat Penrith they might - just that little bit - think they've already won the lot. Manly or Souths, particularly their coaches, will be on to that possibilty.

News out today that the Penrith trainer (who stopped play with Eels likely to score at the end) has been stood down by the NRL for the rest of the season. The club have also been fined 25-grand.

Oh, yeah, while I'm at it, is it Friday yet?
Saw that too, bullshit as I read it - Kenny was hurt, he's now gone for season I think... there wasn't gamesmanship there, genuine concern for player welfare... but hey, if Melbourne do it for a non-injured player on a different field it's all good eh?

JJ

Immortal
Forward packs both underrated and may cancel each other out. Game really comes down to if the Manly right edge can stop Souths left, and if Souths can stop any momentum that Turbo thrives off. When Souths were struggling in D mid season it was when their line speed was zero.
Keppie was enormous starting last week and they’ll keep that formula with Taupau coming off the bench the same the sameness time Burgess does. The 2 young edge backrowers for Manly have been quiet, 1 of them may explode. Dylan Walker after 25mins May be the wildcard in this game.

Been a really strange finals series for me, no intensity watching either game as both results were decided within 10mins
that's the biggie - they are lethal
hope that game is close, and Penrith flog Melbourne :D

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Saw that too, bullshit as I read it - Kenny was hurt, he's now gone for season I think... there wasn't gamesmanship there, genuine concern for player welfare... but hey, if Melbourne do it for a non-injured player on a different field it's all good eh?

The main issue is the requirement for the trainer to go and assess the player before calling for a stoppage, the trainer ran straight to the touchie to stop the game before going to the player

All coaches do it so it will be tidied up in then off season, opening episode of Tigertown was promo’d with Madge screaming to get the trainer to stop the game for an entire set of 6

JJ

Immortal
The main issue is the requirement for the trainer to go and assess the player before calling for a stoppage, the trainer ran straight to the touchie to stop the game before going to the player

All coaches do it so it will be tidied up in then off season, opening episode of Tigertown was promo’d with Madge screaming to get the trainer to stop the game for an entire set of 6
yeah, fair enough I guess - but the kid was hurt etc etc, wasn't some Melbourne tosser doing an AC Milan improv

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
yeah, fair enough I guess - but the kid was hurt etc etc, wasn't some Melbourne tosser doing an AC Milan improv

The Blake Ferguson one was a beauty lol

At least the players have learnt to hold their neck rather than the top of the head when milking a crusher now

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
manly gone without their talismatic champion centre...
Huge blow, which other player in the comp can injure themselves tapping the ball at a restart. Moses Suli come on down

Game day, probably leaning 55/45 Souths at the moment. Really concerned about Ashley Klein getting a game this big, he was awful last week in the panthers/Eels game

Been a long time between prelim drinks. Manly have won their last 7 prelims, Souths have lost their last 3

Shit it’s a long day to get through before kickoff

Blair

Coach
...Shit it’s a long day to get through before kickoff
Friday's come 'round again though! It always does (but I almost gave up on Wednesday).

I'm home from work, having a leisurely lunch, and less than three easy hours away from reaching into the fridge...

Go Manly (sort of).

Blair

Coach
Parker is a loss because opposition teams don't really think too much about him, then it's game time and he's popped up and done something good.

JJ

Immortal
Friday's come 'round again though! It always does (but I almost gave up on Wednesday).

I'm home from work, having a leisurely lunch, and less than three easy hours away from reaching into the fridge...

Go Manly (sort of).
Weird that some of you seem to place these strange self-imposed rules on when it’s ok to drink…. In the game changer Delta environment, any time is a good time!

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Weird that some of you seem to place these strange self-imposed rules on when it’s ok to drink…. In the game changer Delta environment, any ti my e is a good time!
I'm still set in my ways, daytime drinking can put me to bed early. As it is it's nearly 7pm and I'm four cans in...if I was a Manly or Souhs fan the tension would palpable.

Let's hope Beave's OK.

Manly's bus was late to the ground. Some kind of hold up in traffic from the Sunshine Coast. Let's hope Dessie kept his cool! And the bus door was fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts