What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 PF 1 Fri - South Sydney 36-16 Manly @ Suncorp

Finals Week 3: South Sydney v Manly

• South Sydney Rabbitohs

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BranVan3000

Coach
The worst thing that can happen for Brisbane is you guys winning next week.

Reynolds is busted and can't see him going anywhere near as hard coming off a premiership while on a pension contract.
Reynolds is too competitive not to have a positive impact at Brisbane

Valheru

Coach
As a roosters fan I hate souths, I f**king hate them but I congratulate them.

They have turned themselves from a basket case in to one of the 3 most professional and constantly competitive clubs of the last 10 years. They have actually made more prelim finals (7) than us (6) in the last 10 years. Storm, roosters and souths account for 21 out of the 40 prelim finalists of the last 10 years.

Ironically they have become what a lot of their fans claim to hate. A club with money who has elite facilities and builds a squad off a healthy combination of true local juniors, getting other kids from across the country in the system as teenagers, buying the odd established superstar and some other astute purchases to fill the gap.

Having said that I reckon every single souths fan is a Penrith fan for today as I think we all saw enough fragility on the edges to suggest they won't beat Melbourne next week.

BranVan3000

Coach
As a roosters fan I hate souths, I f**king hate them but I congratulate them.

They have turned themselves from a basket case in to one of the 3 most professional and constantly competitive clubs of the last 10 years. They have actually made more prelim finals (7) than us (6) in the last 10 years. Storm, roosters and souths account for 21 out of the 40 prelim finalists of the last 10 years.

Ironically they have become what a lot of their fans claim to hate. A club with money who has elite facilities and builds a squad off a healthy combination of true local juniors, getting other kids from across the country in the system as teenagers, buying the odd established superstar and some other astute purchases to fill the gap.

Having said that I reckon every single souths fan is a Penrith fan for today as I think we all saw enough fragility on the edges to suggest they won't beat Melbourne next week.
I would prefer Penrith for their fatigue factor but I think we are going in as under dogs either way and have as much chance of upsetting Storm as we did Panthers two weeks back. Maybe more as Storm havent really played us at close to full strength since round 1

Luckily that edge fragility was when the game was done and Reynolds off the park in that right side defence. If Benji spends a lot of time there next week I'd be more worried about it

kit66

Bench
Sipley and Fainu in, make a massive difference in the pack...

Our problem are our backs, Storm and the Bunnies and Penriff have shown how inept they are...

Turbo doesn't fire we have nothing at all.. We really need to recruit some decent backs

It's your centres and your hooker that let you down, they're your weak points and the good coaches know it.
I don't know why the Dragons want Suli, he's a real liability in defence. I don't think the commentary team mentioned Croker's name at all because he does nothing - apart from tackle.

gerg

Juniors
Stage is set for Cleary to stand up and take control tonight.

Cook put his poor performances in the previous prelims behind him. Can Cleary stand up and dominate a big game?

I think part of it is Cook's fitness. In the past few years, and yes pun intended, he's been cooked by the prelim.. he looks pretty fresh at the moment.

All the attention has been on Turbo's form but Cody has been pretty bloody good this year. No doubt he's a merkin but when you're playing that well you can almost get away with merkinry.

BranVan3000

Coach
I think part of it is Cook's fitness. In the past few years, and yes pun intended, he's been cooked by the prelim.. he looks pretty fresh at the moment.

All the attention has been on Turbo's form but Cody has been pretty bloody good this year. No doubt he's a merkin but when you're playing that well you can almost get away with merkinry.
Yeah we are much healthier this year

We were pretty good fitness wise in 2018, but were limping into 2019 and 2020 finals. Though Seibold the genius he is decided we only needed 2 bench players in the finals. Despite that the Canberra and Penrith games were very close contests that could have gone our way with the bounce of the ball

Ironically we've had 4 years now without our starting fullback for the finals and found a good replacement each time. Taaffe seems like the most effective of the lot. Which is why I was never too worried about losing Latrell, its like tradition at this point

yobbo84

First Grade
It's your centres and your hooker that let you down, they're your weak points and the good coaches know it.
I don't know why the Dragons want Suli, he's a real liability in defence. I don't think the commentary team mentioned Croker's name at all because he does nothing - apart from tackle.
Campbell Graham is the best defensive centre in the NRL save for maybe Olam, but sure. He babysat a one-legged Reyno brilliantly all night. I don't take any meaning from the late tries when our minds were already on the GF.

EDIT - apologies, i'm a goose. Thought you were referring to Souths because I didn't read so good.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
1. Taaffe
2. Johnston
3. Mitchell
4. Graham
5. Paulo
6. Walker
7. Ilias

Taafe's doing a job now, and he's much better at positioning then Mitchell, but he hasn't got the rig to be a durable career FB.

He's a HB right through juniors and he was a HB in the Flegg premiership. Ilias was FE. Watch the game, it's on NSWRL.

Besides, Mitchell is on FB money.

Ilias will have to bide his time for another season or so, and get opportunities as 14 or injuries/origin.

yobbo84

First Grade
Taafe's doing a job now, and he's much better at positioning then Mitchell, but he hasn't got the rig to be a durable career FB.

He's a HB right through juniors and he was a HB in the Flegg premiership. Ilias was FE. Watch the game, it's on NSWRL.

Besides, Mitchell is on FB money.

Ilias will have to bide his time for another season or so, and get opportunities as 14 or injuries/origin.
Yeah. The plan was always 2023 for Ilias, thus the 1 year for Reyno and then Milford. We gotta fit Taaffe in there somewhere though.

Latest posts