What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Preliminary Semifinal V Storm

DinkyDi

Juniors
Against Eels? They bent the rules. But Parra still had atleast 3 x sets on Penriths line in that last 7mins and couldn't score. Unsure if one more set makes f**k all difference tbh. Yes it may of. Yes we could of scored. But with a minute to go and a full set Jnr dropped it on 2md tackle 1 mtr out. We had our chance and blew it.
Most of the Eels fans, and some commentators, overtly accused the Panthers of cheating.

Blues Riff

Bench
There is just so much to unpack in this game.

We still aren't that close to our pre-origin best with the ball in hand - our execution is still off and from the 50-70 minute mark we were guilty of going back into our shell and playing not to lose.

But to compensate our already excellent defence has gone up to another level.

Guys like Capewell, Martin and even Kikau who were all down on form all stood up. Martin in particular surprised me with his improvement. Kikau kept his lazinesses and brain explosions to a minimium and Capewell was absolutely enormous in defence.

Momo is definitely a crack, edging toward an Elite level defender which is very important for a Right centre as you will be defending the oppositions usually highly dominant left side.

Critta is definitely an Elite defender. He stops even the most potent attacking weapons DEAD. His work on Olam was next level. He also got much more involved this week when compared to his last 2-3 games.

Cleary despite his awesome try assist is still off his game with ball in hand but gosh it is useful having a halfback who is an elite defender. He doesn't need help or a body guard like many halves do. He can take down even rampaging 2nd rowers 1 on 1. I think he is the best defensive half I have ever seen.

Luai was still not quite there but he has definitely improved. A bit like Cleary he is also a highly competent defender for a half.

Yeo was immense as usual and Api definitely stepped it up which honestly relieves the pressure on Cleary and Luai.

Yes I am guilty of 'hating' on Edwards. He had an excellent defensive game. I'd still prefer it if he didn't have his 1-2 a game brain snap(s) though. Running it into the teeth of the defence when we had a clear overlap was almost inexcusable. You could literally see his hesitation and fear in passing it. Still though he was often exactly where he was needed off the ball - great first contact on the Pap saved a try (along with Critta and Capes).

Our Front rowers did enough to match it with the Storm. Fish improved somewhat and TPJ keeps getting better for us. Leniu injection was great - reversed some of the Storms momentum and of course Sorensons Iron Will in that Sattleresque chase was just something else.

I think the game was summed up by the scenes just after the full time whistle. A bunch of the Melbourne players looked liked they'd gone 12 rounds with a heavyweight. Hughes face was shredded and Munster looked battered.

Overall so happy with the performance. I had little expectation going into the game - I just hoped that we'd compete well and boy did they what!
Maybe you should wait longer than 10 minutes before condemning one of our players to the firing squad.

hindy111

Post Whore
Most of the Eels fans, and some commentators, overtly accused the Panthers of cheating.

That's cause they lost. The 50/50 calls went your way. But Parra still had their chances in last 7 mins. It was a great tense finish. Shame Jnr dropped it cause the game didn't deserve to end like that. I think a bomb would of been a great last play.

DinkyDi

Juniors
We would’ve done the exact same if we were in their position. I was calling Welch/Melbourne cheats when they called him for an HIA 6 minutes after the fact and we were attacking their line.
I wouldn't. Welch only came off due to the independent doctor. I wonder if the Storm will receive a please explain letter?

Saffy

Juniors
One positive out of a 4pm kickoff it won't be slippery,but fatigue wise I hope cleary gives the boys a few days off to recover or some light sessions during the week.I don't think kikau will be a big loss he hasn't been playing well and is lazy in defence sometimes.T'oo and leniu in for naden kikau and tago in for Kenny.
Just watched hilights of pen v storm ,when Ta'o scored in the corner,what right did Cleary have of taking the conversion 6 MTRS in field ,sounds fair lol ,what was referee doing or the bunker, but it was Cleary kicking ,must of been fair,lol the games turning into a joke ,he should of been suspended Latell or Cody would have been.

The_Frog

First Grade
Just watched hilights of pen v storm ,when Ta'o scored in the corner,what right did Cleary have of taking the conversion 6 MTRS in field ,sounds fair lol ,what was referee doing or the bunker, but it was Cleary kicking ,must of been fair,lol the games turning into a joke ,he should of been suspended Latell or Cody would have been.
For taking a conversion kick that missed anyway from the wrong mark while the ref watched on?

soc123_au

Staff member
Where did Nathan touch you? 23 posts on LU and at least 15 are whinging about Nathan. Build a bridge for f**ks sake.

martielang

Bench

That’s one long sentence,

DinkyDi

Juniors
Sounds like you're a tad salty, lol, because the Panthers made in to the big dance, lol.

gurmiyrg__

Juniors

Play starts at 4:00. The hit occurs on 4:04
big critta fanboy here, that hit got me jumping up and down, defensively hes amazing reads the play well and tackles just as good don’t see him dropping off often if not, not at all. He has big attacking potential as well and if he actually played in the centres he’d be in the nominees for centre of the year 100%

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Perhaps it's time for you to sing along Saffy:

GongPanther

Referee
Was his knee.

Regardless to what the club says this week his clearly playing on one leg.

It was pretty obvious all game his leg was causing him a huge amounf of discomfort.
Pretty easy decision to make if he is not fit enough. Can't have a passenger out there half lame if it is going to cost us the GF. Cleary will have to put sentiment aside and do what is right for the team.

Abacus

Juniors
Capewell offers very little in attack. We can cover what he offers
Momo is 40 games in. Across 4 clubs so there would still be improvement there.

The unknown is the rookies that were carving up NSW Cup pre shutdown - I wouldn't rule out any of Salmon, Turuva, Jenkins. Of course we have seen May and Tago in 1st grade.

Not to mention any recruits. Capewell and Sorensen were plodders until we developed them further. No reason we can't get another gem.

That can wait til next week to discuss
I'm thinking Tyrone May as Schuster-style right 2nd row in 2022. His ballplay might help free up the attack on that side.

Latest posts