What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to the comp, Redcliffe.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Tha

thats why they are smarter than us! Meanwhile we can’t even consider putting in a team in a rusted on afl state lol
Legit the most frustrating thing, the AFL management just seem to do everything better. Their women's competition will have all 18 teams in it next year. The NRLW still only has 4 teams.

God knows how the code survives if they don't start branching out nationally.

Yeah that's fair, we're having the same deal here on the Gold Coast. More and more kids signing up for the Coomera and Ormeau AFL sides over the local League and Union clubs. There does seem to be a big move for smaller kids or rather kids who don't get their adult bodies until they're adults, instead of some Samoan 11 year old that looks 30, leaning towards AFL.

I've noticed there's cultural stuff at play here too, Keebra Park is a great League school but it's an absolute garbage place to send your kids.
I am not very PC or anything, so this is merely an observation. The kids playing AFL in Sydney (or the area where it has the highest penetration) is the Hills - "bible belt" of Sydney with traditional white families. Most of the kids playing AFL tend to be anglo-celt kids in NSW.

Even watching AFL games, they're not nearly as diverse or multicultural as the NRL. It's not a point of argument, rather an observation. The NRL and Rugby Union are perhaps too lazy and are merely relying on Polynesian immigrant families to provide talent for their codes. Whether this isolates the code (or whether AFL becomes a "white game") will be left to be seen.

In any event, I suspect on current trends both codes will, in the long term, be swallowed up by PC gaming and/or american sports in particular basketball.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am not very PC or anything, so this is merely an observation. The kids playing AFL in Sydney (or the area where it has the highest penetration) is the Hills - "bible belt" of Sydney with traditional white families. Most of the kids playing AFL tend to be anglo-celt kids in NSW.

Even watching AFL games, they're not nearly as diverse or multicultural as the NRL. It's not a point of argument, rather an observation. The NRL and Rugby Union are perhaps too lazy and are merely relying on Polynesian immigrant families to provide talent for their codes. Whether this isolates the code (or whether AFL becomes a "white game") will be left to be seen.

In any event, I suspect on current trends both codes will, in the long term, be swallowed up by PC gaming and/or american sports in particular basketball.
Not sure if they are doing it over there but here in west they have special programs for refugee kids and are targeting multicultural immigrant areas, very much selling it as “welcome to Australia, assimilate by following and playing the Australian game”. Again smart move.

Pippen94

First Grade

Not sure if they are doing it over there but here in west they have special programs for refugee kids and are targeting multicultural immigrant areas, very much selling it as “welcome to Australia, assimilate by following and playing the Australian game”. Again smart move.

That's PR. Make up of that sport is least diverse of any football code

Mr Angry

Not a Referee

So desperate as it is a crap game.

GAZF

First Grade
And couple a couple moreView attachment 55015
I hope they end up going with this kind of colour distrirbution, except I'd have silver shorts on the home and red shorts on the away. Anything to space them out from the Dragons really. Image uploads aren't working for me, but warming up the red as per the linked colour palette would help with this as well. A warmer and lighter red also distinguishes them from the Broncos a bit more than a regular or cherry red would.

Black is fine as an alt colour, but I'd hope they would keep it out of their main identity unless its heavily limited.

https://coolors.co/da291c-a7a8aa-ffffff

The_Frog

First Grade
Confirmed by ch9 lol. Bit insulting to the other bids for it to be leaked like this.
The words "looks poised" suggests to me that the decision has not yet been announced. Nonetheless various media outlets have been carrying similar articles for the past week or so. If the decision has indeed been made it should be announced more or less immediately, NRL head office being the leaky sieve that it is.

colly

Juniors
I will hand it to V landy- he gets things done. From all the nay sayers- crackpots and delusional game snipers...
Eat a bunch of D****s. V Landy got it done it when in the middle of a world wide pandemic where all world wide sports are struggling to survive and he pulls of this accomplishment which all Chairman/CEO's said before 'they will do expansion' and nothing happened.

T-Boon

Coach
I agree that gaming can/will take over kids participation numbers but it isn't much of a spectator thing so I cant see it swallowing the whole sports world in terms of TV etc. People mostly grow out of gaming right (not everyone but most people).
Also, what makes you think basketball might be the sport to take over?

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
Good to finally see expansion happening again and a 2nd Brisbane team is well overdue.

Obviously not going with Redcliffe or undecided based on that announcement. It’ll be interesting to see what their plans are in regards to name, target areas, stadium plans etc.

Personally ‘Moreton Bay Dolphins’ targeting North & East Brisbane up to Sunshine Coast would be preferable. Then in the future add Jets representing South & West (Logan & Ipswich) out to Towoomba. Broncos “City” team, SEQ sorted.