What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Sunday 3rd October 7:30pm @Suncorp Stadium

handyman2190

Bench
Ok fair enough, I was not aware of that. To be honest, we were elated to bundle Storm out after last year. Thanks for the respect, the guys sure did it the hard way.
And rorted the rules on the way as well as mocking our theme song and being disrespectful in the process,i wont say congrats because the better team under equal conditions didnt win

handyman2190

Bench
That's your opinion. Go back and check some of the scores over the season, best team did win. Thanks for being so gracious after I respectfully congratulated your team. 🧂🍇
No thanks why should i be gracious of a team which is extremely arrogant and rude, that rorts the system, imagine 15 interchanges in 1 game, your trainer 2wice sanctioned for illegal stoppages and a walky talky on the field and a miserly 25k fine what a joke,this was plainly a setup, call it cheating, and now the nrl cops a sausage they deserve,letting the riff get away with rorting, you arseholes have brocken the trophy, said nothing except put it in a shopping trolly with rude captions, i hope they tear you a new one.

You mention an event that happened a 1000 years ago (when the good people of Randwick and Coogee and surrounds begged the NSWRL, to include them in Rabbitoh territory) , and you continually whine about it, and you continually whine about it, and you continually whine about it, and you accuse me of living in the past!
I regret to inform you that Bob Menzies is dead.
You then select an arbitrary date of 50 years, and you continually select an arbitrary date of 50 years, to make a warped point about which club is more successful.
Why not select another arbitrary date, such as 1950, and see what results? Answer - we absolutely do a diarrhea job all over you! (Hey! Keep your mouth closed when we do that on you! You chickens take "free lunch" to extremes at times, you know!)
If you are serious about that exercise, then just look at the facts for the entire history of the clubs. We absolutely shit on you: more members; more premierships; more Australian reps; far more famous around Australia and internationally; BIGGER JUNIORS; BIGGER JUNIORS; BIGGER JUNIORS;...Oh, and without repeating your weakness in repeating things, did I mention, BIGGER JUNIORS?
1 premierships in 50 years and you stole the Chooks area to increase your junior numbers. More members nah Chooks have more over 50,000 members of the ESDRL Club at Bondi Junction alone - oh that's right you don't have any leagues club to be a member of or assets.

Not to worry when Crowe and Packer move on and a few poor seasons the Chooks can purchase Souths and you can become the Chooks feeder team- have the Chook Emblem on the jumper as well

Politis hasn't just helped make his team a powerhouse on the field, he wants to leave its balance sheet with a $500 million property portfolio when he finally retires.

Under his leadership, the club bought up swathes of prime real estate in Sydney's eastern suburbs, including several sports clubs.

The plan is to redevelop some of these into bigger multi-purpose sports venues and even play at residential property developer.

Last edited:
PS The Sombrero reference is no joke - it is a statement of fact.
Since when does repeating a fact about turning a blind eye to what should be fair and equal now become a reason for accepting rorts?
You best player is a shonky accountant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sombrero

mmm like medical retiring players one of whom made a comeback and another appearing on SAS Australia -

A fact is it - show the proof then

handyman2190

Bench
No thanks why should i be gracious of a team which is extremely arrogant and rude, that rorts the system, imagine 15 interchanges in 1 game, your trainer 2wice sanctioned for illegal stoppages and a walky talky on the field and a miserly 25k fine what a joke,this was plainly a setup, call it cheating, and now the nrl cops a sausage they deserve,letting the riff get away with rorting, you arseholes have brocken the trophy, said nothing except put it in a shopping trolly with rude captions, i hope they tear you a new one.
Its 1 thing after another, and this is what arrogance and rorting rules begets,now the chin is complicit in encouraging his mates to flawt the border rules to get to the GF so he can have his arrogance put on show,he probably provided free tickets as well, but we all know he is a protected species that even now is biting the nrl on the arse,first dancing with his girlfriends when in lockdown now encouraging breaking the law. This is all because those above this team esp chin senior has no morales and is untrustworthy. Lol

callmack1

Staff member
Almost a week on and I have only just found the strength to watch the replay and do a match report. I know it's very late so I'll make it quick,

Taaffe: Tried his absolute heart out and I can't fault him for that but he was largely ineffective all night. Through no real fault of his own, he was constantly dominated at the back and bashed/dragged backwards by their first contact which massively limited his impact. Credit to him though, he constantly got up and went again. Defused every kick bar one too. We barely had opportunities in attack so wasn't able to do much there either. So he did his best, but didn't have a great night. I will say this kid is a champion though, a star of the future.

Johnston: Kind of similar to Taaffe, really struggled on the kick return and hit ups as he was bashed due to us constantly being on the back foot. Had a few good runs but that was about it. Didn't get many chances on attack but the one big one he did get, he iced at the death so well done there. Gotta give a wrap to his defensive effort and his defusal of kicks, faultless in both areas.

Gagai: Tried, tried and tried again but with limited opportunities and due to the fact we were almost constantly coming out of our own end, he wasn't able to be his usual dominant self. Still looked very dangerous when he found a bit of space though and provided a great pass for AJ's try. Still had 119 meters and did nothing wrong in defence.

Graham: Could basically say the same for Campbell as I did for Gags. His hit ups coming out of our own end were absolutely outstanding though. Made one big error defending our line for Penrith's first try as he didn't need to come in and that opened the space. Despite this, he saved our asses countless times as the game wore on so well done Campbell.

Paulo: Probably the strongest runner of our back three coming off our line and that shows in the stats as he made 123 meters. Some of his hit ups were really good and he went looking for the ball which was good to see. He did put us under pressure a few times though with that loose ball that was knocked out his hands by Kikau and was then bundled into touch too. Also missed an opportunity in the first half when he made that line break, could have kicked inside to Cody and who knows what might have happened.

Walker: I'll talk about the intercept first. So unfourtunate. I don't blame Cody for trying the miracle ball. He wanted the ball in his hands and if it had come off, it would have been a hero's play. Sadly it didn't and it probably cost us the Premiership in the end but like I say, I don't blame Cody. Aside from this, he was brilliant. Would have won the Clive Churchill had we won. Was in absolutely everything and tried his best. His try was one of the all time Grand Final greats, fantastic agility, speed and strength. Brilliant. Created what opportunities he could as the game wore on. I loved that despite the intercept, he didn't drop his head and it was his play that kept us in the game and gave us another opportunity to win at the death. Again, he wanted the ball and came up with the big play. I feel so sorry for him as he was fantastic but his game will always be remembered for that intercept.

Reynolds: His last game at his boyhood club probably didn't go the way he expected. Got to admit, and I think even he'd admit, he wasn't at his best. Had a few good runs, his play for Cody's try was perfect and man he defended like an absolute champ, so strong in that area. But his kicking game wasn't at it's usual peak which hurt us and then he missed the goal to tie the game right at the end. 8 times out of 10 he nails that. Also missed the two point field goal. Such a sad way to end a legend's career.

Nicholls: Came up with a big play in the first half to get us out of trouble with that strip on JFH but that's probably about where his highlights end for the Grand Final. He didn't have a bad game by any means but did a lot of defending which saw him struggle to make any impression on the Panthers pack.

Cook: Has copped a bit of criticism that he 'didn't do his job' but I disagree. Didn't have a spectacular game but he did do his job for sure. A few really good darts throughout the 80 minutes and his service was on point all game. Did a shit load of defending too, he was inspiring in that area with 45 tackles and only 2 missed. He had a good game.

Tatola: Found it tough in his opening stint and was a bit underwhelming. I was impressed by his second stint though. Made some really tough carries but ran so hard and gave it his all. He did everything he could in the last 20 to get us over the line. Finished up with 107 meters which is a good effort.

Koloamatangi: A really gritty performance from Keaon. Found it tough but he did everything he probably could too. Some hard running on the tough carries and ran some good lines off Cody for meters. I loved his defence too as he was coming in and looking for some big shots. A few of them connected and certainly hurt the defender. Not a bad night individually from Keaon.

Su'A: Didn't impress in his final game for the club. Had a few strong carries and put on a couple of big shots but aside from that, he struggled. Made and error and was largly dominated as he wasn't running hard enough with that usual aggression. A bit disappointing it needs to be said.

Murray: Wow. This guy just continues to amaze me time and time again. One of the most incredible individual Grand Final efforts I've ever seen. Put his heart and soul into that and it's such a shame we didn't get the result for him as he would have been in Clive Churchill contention too. His efforts with the ball were great, constantly taking tough carries and ended up just shy of 100 meters. Good ball playing and he made that amazing break straight up the centre late in the game which could have put us in a position to win if he had some support. It was his defensive effor though that was simply incredible, I don't even know how to describe it. Guess I'll just let the stats tell the story, 53 tackles with 0 missed and 0 ineffective. Just amazing.

Marshall: I feel bad for being harsh on him in the final game of his career but apart from a few good defensive efforts while Gagai was off, he didn't do much.

Host: Wasn't exactly impressive either. 5 decent runs and 19 tackles but found it hard to be involved apart from that.

Burgess: Tom on the other hand was super impressive! Made a massive impact off the bench once again against Penrith. We were struggling for go forward due to fatigue at times but he came on with big energy and really stuck it to them. 139 meters, good stuff Tommy.

Arrow: Such a shame his night was ended at halftime due to that head knock. He was playing well and we really needed him in that second half. Oh what might have been.

It still really hurts even a week on but I just want to once again say how proud I am of the team. Despite the result, it was a defensive performance for the ages. Probably one of the most gutsy losing efforts in a Grand Final I've ever seen. penrith had over 60% of the ball for much of the game and they really should have been up by 20. Yet, there we were, still fighting for the game in the last minute. I am so bloody proud.

In saying that, I think that's what makes it hurt even more for me. The fact that we were so close. With everything that was thrown at us and the fact that we were able to score with such limited ball, I really feel that we were the better team so to not win is still shattering. It cuts and burns deep.

Proud of my team, proud of the boys. I love this club. SSTID.

handyman2190

Bench
Almost a week on and I have only just found the strength to watch the replay and do a match report. I know it's very late so I'll make it quick,

Taaffe: Tried his absolute heart out and I can't fault him for that but he was largely ineffective all night. Through no real fault of his own, he was constantly dominated at the back and bashed/dragged backwards by their first contact which massively limited his impact. Credit to him though, he constantly got up and went again. Defused every kick bar one too. We barely had opportunities in attack so wasn't able to do much there either. So he did his best, but didn't have a great night. I will say this kid is a champion though, a star of the future.

Johnston: Kind of similar to Taaffe, really struggled on the kick return and hit ups as he was bashed due to us constantly being on the back foot. Had a few good runs but that was about it. Didn't get many chances on attack but the one big one he did get, he iced at the death so well done there. Gotta give a wrap to his defensive effort and his defusal of kicks, faultless in both areas.

Gagai: Tried, tried and tried again but with limited opportunities and due to the fact we were almost constantly coming out of our own end, he wasn't able to be his usual dominant self. Still looked very dangerous when he found a bit of space though and provided a great pass for AJ's try. Still had 119 meters and did nothing wrong in defence.

Graham: Could basically say the same for Campbell as I did for Gags. His hit ups coming out of our own end were absolutely outstanding though. Made one big error defending our line for Penrith's first try as he didn't need to come in and that opened the space. Despite this, he saved our asses countless times as the game wore on so well done Campbell.

Paulo: Probably the strongest runner of our back three coming off our line and that shows in the stats as he made 123 meters. Some of his hit ups were really good and he went looking for the ball which was good to see. He did put us under pressure a few times though with that loose ball that was knocked out his hands by Kikau and was then bundled into touch too. Also missed an opportunity in the first half when he made that line break, could have kicked inside to Cody and who knows what might have happened.

Walker: I'll talk about the intercept first. So unfourtunate. I don't blame Cody for trying the miracle ball. He wanted the ball in his hands and if it had come off, it would have been a hero's play. Sadly it didn't and it probably cost us the Premiership in the end but like I say, I don't blame Cody. Aside from this, he was brilliant. Would have won the Clive Churchill had we won. Was in absolutely everything and tried his best. His try was one of the all time Grand Final greats, fantastic agility, speed and strength. Brilliant. Created what opportunities he could as the game wore on. I loved that despite the intercept, he didn't drop his head and it was his play that kept us in the game and gave us another opportunity to win at the death. Again, he wanted the ball and came up with the big play. I feel so sorry for him as he was fantastic but his game will always be remembered for that intercept.

Reynolds: His last game at his boyhood club probably didn't go the way he expected. Got to admit, and I think even he'd admit, he wasn't at his best. Had a few good runs, his play for Cody's try was perfect and man he defended like an absolute champ, so strong in that area. But his kicking game wasn't at it's usual peak which hurt us and then he missed the goal to tie the game right at the end. 8 times out of 10 he nails that. Also missed the two point field goal. Such a sad way to end a legend's career.

Nicholls: Came up with a big play in the first half to get us out of trouble with that strip on JFH but that's probably about where his highlights end for the Grand Final. He didn't have a bad game by any means but did a lot of defending which saw him struggle to make any impression on the Panthers pack.

Cook: Has copped a bit of criticism that he 'didn't do his job' but I disagree. Didn't have a spectacular game but he did do his job for sure. A few really good darts throughout the 80 minutes and his service was on point all game. Did a shit load of defending too, he was inspiring in that area with 45 tackles and only 2 missed. He had a good game.

Tatola: Found it tough in his opening stint and was a bit underwhelming. I was impressed by his second stint though. Made some really tough carries but ran so hard and gave it his all. He did everything he could in the last 20 to get us over the line. Finished up with 107 meters which is a good effort.

Koloamatangi: A really gritty performance from Keaon. Found it tough but he did everything he probably could too. Some hard running on the tough carries and ran some good lines off Cody for meters. I loved his defence too as he was coming in and looking for some big shots. A few of them connected and certainly hurt the defender. Not a bad night individually from Keaon.

Su'A: Didn't impress in his final game for the club. Had a few strong carries and put on a couple of big shots but aside from that, he struggled. Made and error and was largly dominated as he wasn't running hard enough with that usual aggression. A bit disappointing it needs to be said.

Murray: Wow. This guy just continues to amaze me time and time again. One of the most incredible individual Grand Final efforts I've ever seen. Put his heart and soul into that and it's such a shame we didn't get the result for him as he would have been in Clive Churchill contention too. His efforts with the ball were great, constantly taking tough carries and ended up just shy of 100 meters. Good ball playing and he made that amazing break straight up the centre late in the game which could have put us in a position to win if he had some support. It was his defensive effor though that was simply incredible, I don't even know how to describe it. Guess I'll just let the stats tell the story, 53 tackles with 0 missed and 0 ineffective. Just amazing.

Marshall: I feel bad for being harsh on him in the final game of his career but apart from a few good defensive efforts while Gagai was off, he didn't do much.

Host: Wasn't exactly impressive either. 5 decent runs and 19 tackles but found it hard to be involved apart from that.

Burgess: Tom on the other hand was super impressive! Made a massive impact off the bench once again against Penrith. We were struggling for go forward due to fatigue at times but he came on with big energy and really stuck it to them. 139 meters, good stuff Tommy.

Arrow: Such a shame his night was ended at halftime due to that head knock. He was playing well and we really needed him in that second half. Oh what might have been.

It still really hurts even a week on but I just want to once again say how proud I am of the team. Despite the result, it was a defensive performance for the ages. Probably one of the most gutsy losing efforts in a Grand Final I've ever seen. penrith had over 60% of the ball for much of the game and they really should have been up by 20. Yet, there we were, still fighting for the game in the last minute. I am so bloody proud.

In saying that, I think that's what makes it hurt even more for me. The fact that we were so close. With everything that was thrown at us and the fact that we were able to score with such limited ball, I really feel that we were the better team so to not win is still shattering. It cuts and burns deep.

As usual a great summary, im actually still seething, if the game is played in the true spirit intended,as bennet surmised in his end speech at the red and green awards, id congratulate, but the rorting flagrant rule breaking,milking, the arrogance has just disappointed me,we scored 2 propper trys,we gave the riff the winner,in my opinion the better team lost and now the riff thanks the nrl,for all the liniency shown them by breaking the trophy and making fun,and chin encouraging border rules for his buddys. What a joke!

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph,

Paul Kent - Penrith Panthers start to stain their Grand Final victory with post-match antics

Penrith’s grand final win was a terrific ending to a tough season and they deserved to celebrate, but there is an uneasiness about much of their behaviour since, writes PAUL KENT.

It is worth reminding some that when [Penrith stormed to victory last Sunday] a great wave of apathy swept over most of the land.

Those as close to Melbourne still managed to somehow drag themselves out of bed and get off to work the next morning, convinced that’s what mattered, while large parts of Adelaide and even Perth rolled over and lazily hit the snooze button, much like a majority of suburbs in greater Sydney did too.

It was over. Done.

As news reached parts of Africa nobody wept for the defeated Rabbitohs while, as best as anyone could tell, Europe gave a collective yawn.

Point is, as celebrated an achievement as it was, it hardly knocked the world off its axis, or even many parts of Australia.

It was a fine victory, and a terrific end to a tough season, but yes, it was just a football game.

So how Tyrone May had the arrogance to believe the Panthers premiership somehow vindicated his criminal behaviour from just a few years back, enough to launch a stinging broadside at those who criticised him 2, remains one of those mysteries that could launch 40 different Netflix documentaries.

Sadly, it shows the smallness of the game, and of many who play it.

For those that missed it, who some call the lucky ones, May took to social media the night the Panthers won the premiership to post a photo of himself leaving Parramatta Court, with coach Ivan Cleary behind him, while quoting lyrics from a Drake song:

“And the dirt that they threw on my name

“Turned to soil and I grew up out of it

“Time for y’all to figure out what y’all gon’ do about it.”

Apparently, winning a grand final was vindication for May pleading guilty to four counts of filming himself having sex with a woman without her consent.

Magistrate Robyn Denes described his actions as “morally reprehensible” and believed he should have been sent to jail but could not, given the prosecution argued it was “just below a custodial offence”.

“This troubles me,” she said of the prosecution’s request.

She said the crime was “actually about violence against women”.

May was given a three-year good behaviour bond, the most she could order, which satisfied her from the point of view it meant “the system would be able to watch you for longer than it would if you were jailed and then released”.

And then May wins a grand final and suddenly it was everybody else that was wrong. Those 13 minutes he played, with five runs and nine tackles, somehow changed everything.

A couple of his teammates, like Api Koroisau and Viliame Kikau, immediately posted messages of support under his post.

For those of us old enough to remember when many of the game’s stars behaved like statesmen, it throws up the obvious question: when did the game turn right, and common decency turn left?

Why the integrity unit has still not put its pointy nose into this is beyond reason. If this does not go to the integrity of the game, what does?

It is irrelevant that May later took the post down.

The bigger question is how, 17 months into his bond, one where he was also ordered to undergo counselling, May believes a grand final win vindicates being a sexual predator?

Has he even done the counselling?

As the week progressed it seems nobody at Penrith had the good sense to remove the mobile phones from their players.

Having beaten Souths in the grand final, they then used their social media to ridicule them, posting for all to see.

Kikau thought it a classy act to take to his social media account and mock the Rabbitohs.

“Up the Rabbits,” he laughed. “Let’s go Rabbitohs.”

He then broke into a sarcastic version of “Glory, Glory to South Sydney”.

Kikau gives the impression that when he finally retires from footy a long career in lifting something awaits. It is hard to know what else he is qualified for.

They are staining their own parade, these Panthers.

For all the feelgood joy the likes of Brian To’o and his marriage proposal brought to the Panthers’ win, there is a menace and an uneasiness about much of their behaviour since.

They are ungracious. Their response to criticism about their behaviour will be “f… you”, like it was towards South Sydney’s effort as the vanquished, who were graceful in defeat.

When did sport take this ugly turn?

The NRL is a tough job and only tough men play it. Weakness has been weeded out by the time players reach the elite level.

For these reasons the game often recruits from lower socio-economic backgrounds, like boxing must, to find young men prepared to push their limits to find a way out.

For such reasons rugby league was a working class game with working values. The players understood the poor man’s struggle.

Now many of the players are on rich six-figure contracts, are poorly educated, and they behave like a rat with a gold tooth. They demand respect but do not return it.

Warriors chief executive Cameron George quietly reminded the players of the game’s realities earlier this week when, in an unrelated matter, he supported the introduction of hair testing for illicit drugs.

“The players and the RLPA have got to understand,” he said, “the game only clicks at the level we’re at because of commercial support.”

And the game is at this level because of those who came before it, whose character sold the game to attract that corporate support.

That was an acknowledgment the Melbourne players made earlier this week when they apologised to those who came before them at the Storm for embarrassing their club.

If the Panthers ever need a lesson in class, and a reminder of how if you are good to the game then the game will give back, they need only look over the halfway line at their opponents from last Sunday and find Benji Marshall.

Marshall was young once, too, and he was brash, but there was a decency and intelligence inside him. And then he matured and adapted, on and off the field, and now they clamour to keep him involved somewhere in the game, and for as long as he wants.

He made the choice his.

Not these Panthers, who behave like you expect to wake up one night and find them standing in your hallway.

APOLOGY TO RUSSELL CROWE

In my column on April 24 I inferred that Russell Crowe betrayed George Piggins for his own financial benefit and that Mr Crowe engaged in a campaign of lies, slander and misinformation against Mr Piggins during the events leading up to his purchase of the Rabbitohs in 2006. I now accept that these statements were false and defamatory and should never have been published. The Daily Telegraph and I wish to apologise to Mr Crowe for the harm, hurt and distress caused by this column.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Its 1 thing after another, and this is what arrogance and rorting rules begets,now the chin is complicit in encouraging his mates to flawt the border rules to get to the GF so he can have his arrogance put on show,he probably provided free tickets as well, but we all know he is a protected species that even now is biting the nrl on the arse,first dancing with his girlfriends when in lockdown now encouraging breaking the law. This is all because those above this team esp chin senior has no morales and is untrustworthy. Lol
Let it go Handy, it'll eat you up brother.

Anyway, IMO this takes a backseat to the ongoing and upcoming war when we next take the field against the mortal enemy. That will never be replaced by the Chin and his band of smug elves.

Well, the final report of the season, pretty much how I saw it, but not as deeply. Thanks for all your reports. I read most of them.

Ive talked to people, they reckon Tom was the pick of the litter. Just played his heart out and without the innner enchantment of whatever is going on with Cameron Murray. He’s a freak. It’s over used, but Murray plays above all known levels. He’s in another dimension and I think he’s inexpensive. I know a former junior player (ex rooster) who follows him religiously.

Cody gave and he took away. But as you said, not enough time in the danger zone where he frolics freely and in his natural attack environment.

The Renno game was one of the great gf emotional roller coaster efforts. He didn’t deserve to lose the game. Whoever criticises him should remember you would not have made it without him. I have to say, his early exit to the Broncos will haunt the club for years to come until he comes home in some capacity. A true whole of game player though.

To be continued.

From the Daily Telegraph,

Paul Kent - Penrith Panthers start to stain their Grand Final victory with post-match antics

Penrith’s grand final win was a terrific ending to a tough season and they deserved to celebrate, but there is an uneasiness about much of their behaviour since, writes PAUL KENT.

It is worth reminding some that when [Penrith stormed to victory last Sunday] a great wave of apathy swept over most of the land.

Those as close to Melbourne still managed to somehow drag themselves out of bed and get off to work the next morning, convinced that’s what mattered, while large parts of Adelaide and even Perth rolled over and lazily hit the snooze button, much like a majority of suburbs in greater Sydney did too.

It was over. Done.

As news reached parts of Africa nobody wept for the defeated Rabbitohs while, as best as anyone could tell, Europe gave a collective yawn.

Point is, as celebrated an achievement as it was, it hardly knocked the world off its axis, or even many parts of Australia.

It was a fine victory, and a terrific end to a tough season, but yes, it was just a football game.

So how Tyrone May had the arrogance to believe the Panthers premiership somehow vindicated his criminal behaviour from just a few years back, enough to launch a stinging broadside at those who criticised him 2, remains one of those mysteries that could launch 40 different Netflix documentaries.

Sadly, it shows the smallness of the game, and of many who play it.

For those that missed it, who some call the lucky ones, May took to social media the night the Panthers won the premiership to post a photo of himself leaving Parramatta Court, with coach Ivan Cleary behind him, while quoting lyrics from a Drake song:

“And the dirt that they threw on my name

“Turned to soil and I grew up out of it

“Time for y’all to figure out what y’all gon’ do about it.”

Apparently, winning a grand final was vindication for May pleading guilty to four counts of filming himself having sex with a woman without her consent.

Magistrate Robyn Denes described his actions as “morally reprehensible” and believed he should have been sent to jail but could not, given the prosecution argued it was “just below a custodial offence”.

“This troubles me,” she said of the prosecution’s request.

She said the crime was “actually about violence against women”.

May was given a three-year good behaviour bond, the most she could order, which satisfied her from the point of view it meant “the system would be able to watch you for longer than it would if you were jailed and then released”.

And then May wins a grand final and suddenly it was everybody else that was wrong. Those 13 minutes he played, with five runs and nine tackles, somehow changed everything.

A couple of his teammates, like Api Koroisau and Viliame Kikau, immediately posted messages of support under his post.

For those of us old enough to remember when many of the game’s stars behaved like statesmen, it throws up the obvious question: when did the game turn right, and common decency turn left?

Why the integrity unit has still not put its pointy nose into this is beyond reason. If this does not go to the integrity of the game, what does?

It is irrelevant that May later took the post down.

The bigger question is how, 17 months into his bond, one where he was also ordered to undergo counselling, May believes a grand final win vindicates being a sexual predator?

Has he even done the counselling?

As the week progressed it seems nobody at Penrith had the good sense to remove the mobile phones from their players.

Having beaten Souths in the grand final, they then used their social media to ridicule them, posting for all to see.

Kikau thought it a classy act to take to his social media account and mock the Rabbitohs.

“Up the Rabbits,” he laughed. “Let’s go Rabbitohs.”

He then broke into a sarcastic version of “Glory, Glory to South Sydney”.

Kikau gives the impression that when he finally retires from footy a long career in lifting something awaits. It is hard to know what else he is qualified for.

They are staining their own parade, these Panthers.

For all the feelgood joy the likes of Brian To’o and his marriage proposal brought to the Panthers’ win, there is a menace and an uneasiness about much of their behaviour since.

They are ungracious. Their response to criticism about their behaviour will be “f… you”, like it was towards South Sydney’s effort as the vanquished, who were graceful in defeat.

When did sport take this ugly turn?

The NRL is a tough job and only tough men play it. Weakness has been weeded out by the time players reach the elite level.

For these reasons the game often recruits from lower socio-economic backgrounds, like boxing must, to find young men prepared to push their limits to find a way out.

For such reasons rugby league was a working class game with working values. The players understood the poor man’s struggle.

Now many of the players are on rich six-figure contracts, are poorly educated, and they behave like a rat with a gold tooth. They demand respect but do not return it.

Warriors chief executive Cameron George quietly reminded the players of the game’s realities earlier this week when, in an unrelated matter, he supported the introduction of hair testing for illicit drugs.

“The players and the RLPA have got to understand,” he said, “the game only clicks at the level we’re at because of commercial support.”

And the game is at this level because of those who came before it, whose character sold the game to attract that corporate support.

That was an acknowledgment the Melbourne players made earlier this week when they apologised to those who came before them at the Storm for embarrassing their club.

If the Panthers ever need a lesson in class, and a reminder of how if you are good to the game then the game will give back, they need only look over the halfway line at their opponents from last Sunday and find Benji Marshall.

Marshall was young once, too, and he was brash, but there was a decency and intelligence inside him. And then he matured and adapted, on and off the field, and now they clamour to keep him involved somewhere in the game, and for as long as he wants.

He made the choice his.

Not these Panthers, who behave like you expect to wake up one night and find them standing in your hallway.

APOLOGY TO RUSSELL CROWE

In my column on April 24 I inferred that Russell Crowe betrayed George Piggins for his own financial benefit and that Mr Crowe engaged in a campaign of lies, slander and misinformation against Mr Piggins during the events leading up to his purchase of the Rabbitohs in 2006. I now accept that these statements were false and defamatory and should never have been published. The Daily Telegraph and I wish to apologise to Mr Crowe for the harm, hurt and distress caused by this column.
Kent said it was over done so why still write about though- Players are only contrite when caught one has to say as they certainly are not thinking straight when doing the act.

Easy rule is if intending to do something think about what would it would look like if it was out in the general public.

Those mad monday's were like year 12 students finishing school or becoming old enough to go to a pub or club - what's the point of getting leg less - most people don't go on benders when they finish work for the year.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo 'disappointed' with some of Penrith's grand final celebrations: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/andrew...brations/e815a128-6269-4470-a394-fca6385598f4
The integrity unit is investigating.

As a club, the Panthers have shown little or no leadership in acknowledging the:

1. Tyrone Mays self centred defiance of his criminality, dragging the whole thing up again for the poor girl.

2. Disrespect for fans of Souths and your club

3. Negligence about the trophy

4. Links to their players breaching co vid at super spreading events. If true, it’s very anti social. 8 people died yesterday in nsw from co vid. 5,000,000 deaths worldwide. Thoughtless pricks if true.

Ive checked their club website and they haven’t said anything about the controversies. Burying their heads deep in the sand.

I think any reasonable minded person would conclude they have bought themselves and the game into disrepute and they need to be held accountable.

Not their fans, not even their silly or dumb players, but as a club they are irresponsible, feral and have shamed the whole game.

Their management and board should resign.

As a company, I wouldn’t dream of associating myself with this lot. Ive banned the purchase of panther sponsored products from my place.

My kids are being taught not to be like the Panthers, to keep away from them, to dislike anything connected to them as their first stance.

I don’t want them growing up like a panther player or being irresponsible like their club.

Here in the western Sydney region, we generally don’t like them and many don’t want them as they bring us westies down.

They add to the false stereotype. They hurt the reputation of people like me and my awesome Samoan neighbours.

What should have been a proud day for the whole region has turned into a nightmare.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
The integrity unit is investigating.

As a club, the Panthers have shown little or no leadership in acknowledging the:

1. Tyrone Mays self centred defiance of his criminality, dragging the whole thing up again for the poor girl.

2. Disrespect for fans of Souths and your club

3. Negligence about the trophy

4. Links to their players breaching co vid at super spreading events. If true, it’s very anti social. 8 people died yesterday in nsw from co vid. 5,000,000 deaths worldwide. Thoughtless pricks if true.

Ive checked their club website and they haven’t said anything about the controversies. Burying their heads deep in the sand.

I think any reasonable minded person would conclude they have bought themselves and the game into disrepute and they need to be held accountable.

Not their fans, not even their silly or dumb players, but as a club they are irresponsible, feral and have shamed the whole game.

Their management and board should resign.

As a company, I wouldn’t dream of associating myself with this lot. Ive banned the purchase of panther sponsored products from my place.

My kids are being taught not to be like the Panthers, to keep away from them, to dislike anything connected to them as their first stance.

I don’t want them growing up like a panther player or being irresponsible like their club.

Here in the western Sydney region, we generally don’t like them and many don’t want them as they are a bad influence.
No more Panther Kebabs for you then is it?

No more Panther Kebabs for you then is it?
56B224CD-2B2A-4387-9249-682BB81389A2.jpeg
They don’t sponsor the Panthers, they exploit the club!

I’d suggest they’ve lost a lot of business IMO.

Being tricky gets you into trouble Socky. 2 kebabs and the meal deal.

Surely you are ashamed of your management?

The rest of the game is.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
View attachment 55103

The rest of the game is.
As I've said countless times, Tyrone May is a grub. The rest of it is a storm in a teacup and just a reason for sooks to have a cry. The trophy breaking is unfortunate, it's not the first time that has happened though.

I dont recall this level of angst from you when your club signed BJ Leilua, known sex pest and revenge porn expert. What were your actions when that happened?

murraymob

Coach
View attachment 55103
They don’t sponsor the Panthers, they exploit the club!

I’d suggest they’ve lost a lot of business IMO.

Being tricky gets you into trouble Socky. 2 kebabs and the meal deal.

The rest of the game is.
Your obsession with running down Penrith in every clubs forums is disturbing.post after post .perhaps direct that anger into building a cabinet to hold the many spoons headed your way.keep employing Pascoe as your boss keep losing

As I've said countless times, Tyrone May is a grub. The rest of it is a storm in a teacup and just a reason for sooks to have a cry. The trophy breaking is unfortunate, it's not the first time that has happened though.

I dont recall this level of angst from you when your club signed BJ Leilua, known sex pest and revenge porn expert. What were your actions when that happened?
So you stand by your managements head-in-the-sand response?

The contempt and disrespect grows daily for the Panthers and your bosses sit there like stunned mullets fidgeting.

They didn’t even throw Tyrone under the bus.

They didn’t stand up for the victim and they don’t stand for anything.

Selfish grubs. I wouldn’t let one in my house.

Your obsession with running down Penrith in every clubs forums is disturbing.post after post .perhaps direct that anger into building a cabinet to hold the many spoons headed your way.keep employing Pascoe as your boss keep losing
No, I run your club down at your forum, the gf forum, here, at home and the eels. But I’m ready to spread my wings if you keep fibbing.

Ask your management to stand up for victims of sex crimes and do something about the hate and contempt a lot of people have for the Panthers these days.

You and Socky are deeply ashamed of your club, that’s why you are on tsp watch.

If charged and guilty of helping those scrotes- What’s Nate looking at?

If he helped endanger 5 million lives….cancel his cc and give it to Burgess.

Last edited: