What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheens

Tigerm

First Grade
He may well be, but he won’t have time to coach the team as well, especially now that Hartigan is gone.

I was just reading on the other site that another admin guy might be looking at other employment?

Fordy20

Juniors
Sheens was a bit of a joke around the time he left. Im not confident.
Me neither.

He was a joke at North Queensland and it's not like we have a State of Origin quality halfback who can ignore him, take over the team and lead a bunch of talented kids and average journeymen to a premiership.

Just think about the debt that Sheens owes Scott Prince. Sheens used that premiership to extort another 7 years of payroll from the club, using that premiership and his relationship with Marshall to cling to the club like a parasite, failing miserably to deliver any repeated success, seeing off our first CEO, getting the second sacked and making the third a lame duck before the board finally came to it's senses and allowed a CEO to sack him. He has now parlayed that premiership into a million dollar coaching director role, the very same role he rejected almost ten years ago and instead decided to drag the club through the courts.
Just when our salary cap was starting to get in good shape, our CoE was being finished and we were seeing some talented youngsters committing to the club, in swoops Sheens to either preside over another 10 years of mediocrity or take credit for the hard work that all the people who came before him had to suffer through.

stryker

First Grade
Me neither.

He was a joke at North Queensland and it's not like we have a State of Origin quality halfback who can ignore him, take over the team and lead a bunch of talented kids and average journeymen to a premiership.

Just think about the debt that Sheens owes Scott Prince. Sheens used that premiership to extort another 7 years of payroll from the club, using that premiership and his relationship with Marshall to cling to the club like a parasite, failing miserably to deliver any repeated success, seeing off our first CEO, getting the second sacked and making the third a lame duck before the board finally came to it's senses and allowed a CEO to sack him. He has now parlayed that premiership into a million dollar coaching director role, the very same role he rejected almost ten years ago and instead decided to drag the club through the courts.
Just when our salary cap was starting to get in good shape, our CoE was being finished and we were seeing some talented youngsters committing to the club, in swoops Sheens to either preside over another 10 years of mediocrity or take credit for the hard work that all the people who came before him had to suffer through.
Very detailed, accurate and factual post.
Sheens himself admitted to Sterlo in 2006 that the 2005 premiership was based on him allowing the “boys to play footy”.
There was no master plan or coaching genius at play. When he attempted to overcoach the team (Johnny Cronk, Blair etc…), it fell on its face.

The die is already cast, the faith in Tim is ultimate.

At the very least, this should satisfy those demanding change which is just about all of us.

Its a wait and see isn’t it?

Its not logically possible to make comparisons drawn from previous eras, with different sides under different rules with a different squad.

Too many variables.

Tigerm

First Grade
The die is already cast, the faith in Tim is ultimate.

At the very least, this should satisfy those demanding change which is just about all of us.

Its a wait and see isn’t it?

Its not logically possible to make comparisons drawn from previous eras, with different sides under different rules with a different squad.

Too many variables.
No, not ultimate.

WA Tiger

Bench
The alternative to sheens is to have the current top brass continue on their merry way, thinking that if they just fill in every employable position with names everything will be ok. Who now that that hasn’t worked, have lost all confidence in making any decision and have run out of excuses for their mad mad world…it’s like when at rock bottom u make your best decisions

First job for sheens is to see what the fk goes on in the sheds and on the training field..( or as important what doesn’t happen) .. Then to get as much out of this current team as is humanly possible and find a spine at the same time. That will require experimenting.. unfortunately amongst all of Madges weaknesses this is his equal worst. Moving AD from 6 to centre was not experimenting. Madge refuses to really experiment. This is all the more important with Peachy in the side and dont tell me Laurie couldn’t at least be tried in the halves if his tackling doesn’t improve..and of course if possible find a spot for Brookes outside of the halves. Because regardless of his skill set which is not miniscule when he’s in the halves hes depriving the team of try’s

Then find a real gun player or two instead of a lot of “promising young players” who will just be treading water for years to come.
This will require astute selection, freeing up of the current bogged down recruitment process that is leaving player managers completely bamboozled, dragging out the timeline beyond what is normal and therefore discouraging engagement from players. This is near the top of the hit list.

Also to be more flexible with money offered to potential guns. And offer longer contracts when requested if they are worth it... and generally stop acting like we are not a last resort for players looking for a spot on a team..

Another positive will be Sheens name on the masthead for now rather than Madge. Anyone but Madge right!

Most important, we need decisions that are made for good reasons, not out of fear of the possible consequences of not making them .obviously some exceptions

Better still find a coach that can do all these things.

Last edited:
To Pascoe (the CEO) I would assume?

My comment was in reply to your “the faith in Tim, is ultimate), I don’t rate him at all, but will be glad to be proven wrong.
Theres a few death-riders, I am just in the thinking no one can properly predict the future.

I doubt he reports to Pascoe.

Mr Spock!

Referee
That was my first impression.

We went after sheensy earlier this season when the club realised the improvement wasn’t were it should be.

Madge will be under Sheens.

But instead of being a threat, they will be in together. There will be times that they disagree but if Tim is going to overrule on an issue, then he will have to accept the outcome.

For Madge too, he will have a a person to bounce ideas off and get more knowledge and share the troubles.

Madge is the hardest working coach in the NRL, so much pressure and I think Tim’s contribution will be fantastic for him.

Lee said it is co-operative in nature.

I think it’s a great idea.
2 coaches...

What can go wrong?

Mr Spock!

Referee
Me neither.

Come on....his 10 years out of the NRL will have re-invigorated him....

We all know having 2 coaches works....just like having 2 premiers....2 PMs......2 Popes.....

Btw this thread is from 2012 and the commentators are still saying the same thing re culture.....

Tiger05

First Grade
Probably 2. Brooks for most weeks plus Hastings when Brooks has his go in the 6.

Douehi, Hastings, Brooks, Laurie, Peachey, Madden and Leilua will all get a go at 5/8

Thinking on this I see it as Hastings plays one half role and is our main play maker. Brooks and Doueihi to fight it out for the other spot depending on how Brooks plays. You can play Doueihi in the centres but if Brooks isn't offering enough and we aren't winning Doueihi will come into that role.

I don't really care who wears the 6 and 7 but Hastings is the guy we need to perform. I can't see Brooks being a dominant half and we need at least one of them.

Latest posts