What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

91 v 03 v 21

Pomoz

Bench
1 Wesser
2 Rooney
3 Girdler
4 Fittler
5 To'o
6 Brandy
7 Cleary
8 JFH
9 Priddis
10 Lang
11 Puletua
12 Cartwright
13 Yeo
14 Gower
15 Geyer
16 Clinton
17 Clarke

18th man Preston

Coach Gus
What a great team that would make. Rooney would be out for mine, Lewis was a better player. Those centres make me excited, what a pair! Puletua was lazy and I would give Kik's a go. In the last month when he decided to be a defensive back rower, he was devastating. Puletua was only ever devastating with the ball.

soc123_au

Staff member
What a great team that would make. Rooney would be out for mine, Lewis was a better player. Those centres make me excited, what a pair! Puletua was lazy and I would give Kik's a go. In the last month when he decided to be a defensive back rower, he was devastating. Puletua was only ever devastating with the ball.
I agree 100% Lewis is the better player. His versatility hurts him here using the criteria I applied though. Although I do recall a rumour doing the rounds in mid 2003 that one of our wingers was headed to the Roosters. I remember at the time hoping that if it was true that Rooney would go and Lewis would stay. Being a GF team his 2 tries is probably what swayed me. Lewis makes my all time 17 without a doubt and Rooney wouldn't get a look in, with To'o and Gordon a walk up start as my wingers, with Sauce unlucky to miss out. I also agonised about having Critta on a wing as well over Rooney.

Back row was tough, Kikau maybe unfairly missed out based on last years GF effort. Also I think Puletua being lazy has probably faded in my memory over time as it's some of the attacking stuff that stands out most in my mind.

The other hard one was Fullback. Wesser shits on Edwards in attack, but if I was picking a team to win every game of the season given the rest of the backline named I'd pick Edwards. That side kicks arse without an attacking weapon in the 1 and with Dylan at the back organising the Defence that team is almost unbeatable.

You could make a case for quite a few players that missed out, especially if you wanted a more balanced team, all out attack or relentless in defence.

BxTom

Bench
I agree 100% Lewis is the better player. His versatility hurts him here using the criteria I applied though. Although I do recall a rumour doing the rounds in mid 2003 that one of our wingers was headed to the Roosters. I remember at the time hoping that if it was true that Rooney would go and Lewis would stay. Being a GF team his 2 tries is probably what swayed me. Lewis makes my all time 17 without a doubt and Rooney wouldn't get a look in, with To'o and Gordon a walk up start as my wingers, with Sauce unlucky to miss out. I also agonised about having Critta on a wing as well over Rooney.

Back row was tough, Kikau maybe unfairly missed out based on last years GF effort. Also I think Puletua being lazy has probably faded in my memory over time as it's some of the attacking stuff that stands out most in my mind.

The other hard one was Fullback. Wesser shits on Edwards in attack, but if I was picking a team to win every game of the season given the rest of the backline named I'd pick Edwards. That side kicks arse without an attacking weapon in the 1 and with Dylan at the back organising the Defence that team is almost unbeatable.

You could make a case for quite a few players that missed out, especially if you wanted a more balanced team, all out attack or relentless in defence.
My thoughts exactly. Each was great in their own way. The 2003 and 2021 teams are chalk and cheese in so far as the 2003 were brilliant attackers where this teams is brilliant in defence.

The_Frog

First Grade
It was a toss up between him and Critta and putting To'o back on the left.

Brandy at 6 is cheating a bit, but imagine peak Brandy and Nathan together, talk about a cheat code. It makes me dribble a bit in the pants thinking about it.
Greg could play 6 easy. Although if it's the Greg Alexander that played in the 91 GF, that's two organisers and maybe one too many. The running Alexander circa 84-85 would be ideal.

soc123_au

Staff member
Greg could play 6 easy. Although if it's the Greg Alexander that played in the 91 GF, that's two organisers and maybe one too many. The running Alexander circa 84-85 would be ideal.
In that scenario Nathan is organising and kicking with Brandy running and playing eyes up.

artworks-000126761916-s90qea-t500x500.jpg

Fangs

Coach
Brandy/Cleary and Presto is probably the best combo in attack. Cleary and Gower if you wanted to win the 2021 premiership again.

Pomoz

Bench
Brandy/Cleary and Presto is probably the best combo in attack. Cleary and Gower if you wanted to win the 2021 premiership again.
Actually, I think Cleary and Brandy would be better. Cleary would do the Luai role, except wth all respect to Jerome, he is better at it. We would have far more points in us with Brandy playing "eyes up" in the side and he is a better tactical kicker than Luai as well. 2021 wouldn't need the brutal defence as much because we would score more points. All "ifs" and "maybe" I know, but an interesting line of thought.

pantherz9103

First Grade
This is the first Panthers team to win a comp where it seems like most fans of other clubs were willing us to fail and trying to knock us at every turn. The 2003 squad were pure underdogs and generally well liked, even though they were typically written off by 'experts' but nobody disliked them.. I was only 10 in 1991 but I believe we were fairly popular with the neutrals and people wanted us to beat Canberra. Then again back in 1991 there was no internet and in 2003 there were fan forums but no 'social media' as we know it today, so it was harder to know exactly how popular or unpopular we were. I think people willing us to fail or the media trying to muddy our name constantly only makes winning the comp more satisfying.

The Realist

Juniors
We never got to see it but Mick Gordon was our best fullback - we just had a complete idiot of a coach in Elliot who struck him out on the wing for almost 5 seasons straight - a position he was far too talented for.

We have never had a better defensive outside back then him. It was very rare for him to miss a tackle even one on one close to the line against players much bigger than him, he made good decisions and very rarely fumbled a kick.

With Ball in hand he was powerful and quick. He was the original 'metre eater' before Mansour and now To'o but he was faster. Had great instincts around the ball as well. Biggest waste of talent I have seen in 20 years for us. Under a better coach or in a better team he'd have played a lot more Rep footy than he did.

By the end of his time with us though, chronic repeated ankle and calf injuries had reduced his effectiveness but he was still a very handy player for the Sharks, Eels, Roosters and Titans before his NRL retirement.

Munky

Coach
We never got to see it but Mick Gordon was our best fullback - we just had a complete idiot of a coach in Elliot who struck him out on the wing for almost 5 seasons straight - a position he was far too talented for.

We have never had a better defensive outside back then him. It was very rare for him to miss a tackle even one on one close to the line against players much bigger than him, he made good decisions and very rarely fumbled a kick.

With Ball in hand he was powerful and quick. He was the original 'metre eater' before Mansour and now To'o but he was faster. Had great instincts around the ball as well. Biggest waste of talent I have seen in 20 years for us. Under a better coach or in a better team he'd have played a lot more Rep footy than he did.

By the end of his time with us though, chronic repeated ankle and calf injuries had reduced his effectiveness but he was still a very handy player for the Sharks, Eels, Roosters and Titans before his NRL retirement.

Gordon was great for us, shame he and Manu decided on similar post footy enterprises.

To'o reminds me most of Taniela Tuiaki. He was unstoppable one on one, had his career ruined by an ankle injury

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
This is the first Panthers team to win a comp where it seems like most fans of other clubs were willing us to fail and trying to knock us at every turn.

Ivan Cleary + sex pest May + dour/defensive playing style + perceived grubbiness + perceived arrogance

I think the last two are bullshit (for example, I don't have a problem with Luai, who many think is a grub; I don't see it. I like the way he plays the game, and the Canberra game where the arrogant label came out was nothing; Crichton's actions were quite funny, really), but the first three are the reasons I prefer the 1991 and 03 sides to this one. Of course, even though I find the playing style quite boring, I prefer this side to any other of our sides that didn't win the comp. :)

age.s

First Grade
Criminal that Flash never got more than that one outstanding season at FB. He was borderline Hayne level form for a good period there, and more balanced as a player.

Elliott and that damn ACL have a lot to answer for.

mxlegend99

Referee
Criminal that Flash never got more than that one outstanding season at FB. He was borderline Hayne level form for a good period there, and more balanced as a player.

Elliott and that damn ACL have a lot to answer for.
He got half of 2010 and a bit of 2011. His game against Broncos where he was injured was probably going to be enough to secure him the NSW #1 jumper. Atleast I recall him being considered for it and killing it that game.

Such a shame he went to QLD and fell in with a bad crowd. I refuse to believe he did anything like that in his time with us. If I had to pick one of the good guys of rugby league he would have been near the top of the list.

Sime_11

Juniors
Priddis performance in 03 for the Clive Churchill - why does that not rate more mentions? unbelievable game he had, some try saving tackles to go with his 2 assists and try,

that last try - what a play, i still watch footage of that and think the cojones that man had to make that play - so simple but such an elite & appropriate match winning play :)

Fangs

Coach
Priddis performance in 03 for the Clive Churchill - why does that not rate more mentions? unbelievable game he had, some try saving tackles to go with his 2 assists and try,

that last try - what a play, i still watch footage of that and think the cojones that man had to make that play - so simple but such an elite & appropriate match winning play :)

Probably the best performance from any Panthers player in a grand final.

pantherz9103

First Grade

I agree. I think people talk so much about Sattler's tackle whenever '03 is brought up that they forget about how great Priddo's performance was. 1 try and 2 assists in a low scoring game in pouring rain you can't get much better than that.