What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Clive Churchill Performances

Sime_11

Juniors
Similar to Jono078's thread on Best Premiers in previous years gone by.

The Best Clive Churchill performances, who rates up there?

Burgess 2014 no doubt rates up there

id like to mention Luke Priddis in 2003, A very underrated CC performance, but that's through my Panther biased eyes.

Munky

Coach
Thurston in 2015...

Even with my bias I'd still go Priddis.

Responsible for all Penrith's points with two try assists and a solo try.

Keary was head and shoulders above every other player on the field in 2018.

Sime_11

Juniors
I can tell you some of the worst

JT in 2015
Cleary in 2021

Neither in the top 10 players on the day

agree with this - JT was always going to be picked in this game - from memory he and Sam Burgess were overwhelming odds for the medal.

Fangs

Coach
Priddis 03 comes to mind.

Otherwise I just get annoyed thinking about all the hand out awards.

Valheru

Coach
Consolation prize for missing out on the Dally M. Still, I don't know who else they could have given it to.
Yeo seemed obvious

Any of the forwards really who absolutely dominated the opposition. Meanwhile the halfback couldn't create a single try with overwhelming possession and was likely bailed out by the opposition 5/8 throwing an intercept.

Valheru

Coach
agree with this - JT was always going to be picked in this game - from memory he and Sam Burgess were overwhelming odds for the medal.
Burgess was another one that was a fait accompli but he at least was in the top 3 on the day IMO even if he wasn't the best.

It makes a mockery of the 2019 and 2013 recipients who had to get it "for the sanctity of the medal" when there have been such egregious examples of such undeserving recipients on the day.

2020 was promising when Paps got it even though the easy vote was Smith but then comes 2021.

The_Frog

First Grade
Yeo seemed obvious

Any of the forwards really who absolutely dominated the opposition. Meanwhile the halfback couldn't create a single try with overwhelming possession and was likely bailed out by the opposition 5/8 throwing an intercept.
I think Nathan with his kicking game, which kept the opposition pinned in their territory, had more to do with the outcome than any other player in our side. He had a job to do with his injured shoulder and did it extremely well. I thought Burton might have come into it and both To'o and Yeo had merit, but really everyone did their job. There have been plenty I didn't agree with over the years, this was far from the greatest of them.

The intercept was planned and trained for. A trap set by Cleary snr and Ciraldo that earned rich rewards. Even your coach would have been proud of it.

yobbo84

First Grade
Sam Burgess in 2014 was easily the best forward performance in a GF in the NRL era. Probably only Morley's rampage mission in 2002 comes close.

Played 80 mins with a depressed fractured cheekbone
22 runs for 218m
3 offloads
39 tackles, 1 miss

He had an absolute monster of a game and his Churchill Medal was well deserved.

For backs or halves, Luke Keary's 2018 was pretty special, as was Greg Inglis in 2007.

yobbo84

First Grade
The intercept was planned and trained for. A trap set by Cleary snr and Ciraldo that earned rich rewards. Even your coach would have been proud of it.

Most backs go for the intercept when outnumbered. Alex Johnston better than most. It was a dumb throw from Walker in a pressure situation - let's not hand out any mensa awards for Crichton being handed a try on a platter.

The_Frog

First Grade
Most backs go for the intercept when outnumbered. Alex Johnston better than most. It was a dumb throw from Walker in a pressure situation - let's not hand out any mensa awards for Crichton being handed a try on a platter.
Oh I know. We did one pretty much the same in the same game last year. The coach did mention in the post game that it was planned, though.

Valheru

Coach
Sam Burgess in 2014 was easily the best forward performance in a GF in the NRL era. Probably only Morley's rampage mission in 2002 comes close.

Played 80 mins with a depressed fractured cheekbone
22 runs for 218m
3 offloads
39 tackles, 1 miss

He had an absolute monster of a game and his Churchill Medal was well deserved.

For backs or halves, Luke Keary's 2018 was pretty special, as was Greg Inglis in 2007.
I thought George was even better, just played less minutes.

George and JWH (2019) are clear examples where props could (should) have got the award.

Latest posts