What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think he is necessarily doing anyone any favours - there is a date he has to exercise the option by - I assume its 1st Nov
This, but I'd say it's halfway through next year. Hardly an option if he loses it before he gets the chance to talk to other clubs.

This, but I'd say it's halfway through next year. Hardly an option if he loses it before he gets the chance to talk to other clubs.
At the time he signed the original contract there'd be a lot of uncertainty of what he would be worth in year 5. This gave him the choice to lock in a salary if he thought his market value would be lower than the agreed amount. I'd think that October 31 would be a likely deadline to excercise an option in that case.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'll take your word for it, but I think I remember players in previous years taking up their option a lot closer to the actual start date. Remember this is for 2023 not 2022.

lucablight

First Grade
I thought we didn’t have many good players? Why I would we struggle to keep the team together? They should all be getting pay cuts and we should be getting in some actual super stars no?

strider

Post Whore
I'll take your word for it, but I think I remember players in previous years taking up their option a lot closer to the actual start date. Remember this is for 2023 not 2022.
yeah you are right - I recall options being taken up mid year ..... dunno if they are all the same???

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I thought we didn’t have many good players? Why I would we struggle to keep the team together? They should all be getting pay cuts and we should be getting in some actual super stars no?
We certainly don't have the Origin representation of some other clubs. Do we have any great players? I think not. But we have plenty of good ones, which is why we finished ahead of ten other teams.

lucablight

First Grade
We certainly don't have the Origin representation of some other clubs. Do we have any great players? I think not. But we have plenty of good ones, which is why we finished ahead of ten other teams.
Origin representation isn’t the be all and end all. Cody Walker didn’t play any origin games this season yet was arguably the best five eighth in the comp. McCullough played more origin games than Mahoney yet most Eels supporters would be horrified if we went for the hooker with more origin appearances. We also underachieved by finishing 6th which put us on the hard side of the draw and potentially cost us a week 3 spot. We were certainly not a worse team than the Roosters and Sea Eagles when at our best. If our players aren’t close to elite level we should have no trouble retaining everyone.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Origin representation is a good indicator of overall quality, since every club has players that only just miss out and others that only just scrape in. It all comes out in the wash. As for McCullough, I would absolutely trust him in a big game over an inexperienced player like Mahoney. That's what McCullough brings to his team and what Mahoney doesn't. And yes Mahoney is a better player, or more accurately, a better playmaker. But the fact is he is inexperienced, which is one of his shortfalls. The reason it won't affect his price is because it will be less of a shortfall every year of his next contract. This is why young players are in such high demand - for future value, not current value.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Origin representation isn’t the be all and end all. Cody Walker didn’t play any origin games this season yet was arguably the best five eighth in the comp. McCullough played more origin games than Mahoney yet most Eels supporters would be horrified if we went for the hooker with more origin appearances. We also underachieved by finishing 6th which put us on the hard side of the draw and potentially cost us a week 3 spot. We were certainly not a worse team than the Roosters and Sea Eagles when at our best. If our players aren’t close to elite level we should have no trouble retaining everyone.
You have to remember the team is awesome until it’s time to make excuses for the coach and then it’s average with not enough origin players. That’s the circle of shit it’s never anyone’s fault ever unless it’s us horrible fans. Then it’s time to open the shoulders and let rip!!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Origin representation is a good indicator of overall quality, since every club has players that only just miss out and others that only just scrape in. It all comes out in the wash. As for McCullough, I would absolutely trust him in a big game over an inexperienced player like Mahoney. That's what McCullough brings to his team and what Mahoney doesn't. And yes Mahoney is a better player, or more accurately, a better playmaker. But the fact is he is inexperienced, which is one of his shortfalls. The reason it won't affect his price is because it will be less of a shortfall every year of his next contract. This is why young players are in such high demand - for future value, not current value.
McCulloch moves like Matt Keating with no legs these days lol, yeah I’m sure I’d trust that guy over Mahoney in a big game.

I’m sure if he ever plays a big game again for the Dragons I bet if you ask Dragons fans they’d prefer his big game experience over Mahoneys talent and the fact he doesn’t move like a pensioner.

T-Boon

Coach
I could get onboard with that, BUT change to only allowing one marker .... they can choose to stand to one side if they like but its gonna leave the other side open for a dart from dummy half ..... it would at least take out the grey area of whether some teams get away with not marking up straight
That would certainly be better than what we have. The ruck currently is like the good news bible: Old, pointless, based on another thing that is even older nd more outdated (Rugby/old testament) and stupid but people are still obsessed with it.

Tooooks

Bench
Smugs, us and even Boncos I can understand. Even Dogs you can see them making drastic changes. But Tigers???
Tigers could start turning things around fairly soon but there are a lot of ifs involved. If they can sign Hodgson or Korisau. If Hastings brings his Superleague form to the NRL. If the pommy centre (forget his name) signing works out…

Yeh, I think the key difference here is that it was originally an abnormally long contract, and the club initially allowing the option in that deal would be more likely to want/require a shorter exercise period. But the decision to waive the option now could also be to allow other clubs to negotiate freely from Nov 1 for 2023.

TheRam

Coach
That Mahoney article is a nothing burger. I’m not too concerned about it. If Gutherson carries on with his contract renewal again I’d be putting in a deadline and if he refuses to sign I’ll be glad to see the back of him and contemplate letting him go early. He is worth $700k tops.

If it happens again I would have had enough of him and the crap from his douche bag manager.

Sean Russell can play fullback and the Raiders have two fullbacks that won’t want to play in another position. Oh and after speaking to @Stagger eel today he reminded me about that Manu is still unsigned. I’d have him before Gutherson all day long.

Oh please, as if Manu would be going anywhere now.

As for the Raiders having 2 fullbacks. Yes please Xavier Savage. But he can play on the wing for a couple of years if the Raiders wanted to keep both. We should have grabbed him earlier this years, and basically for nothing too, but I think that birdie has flown now. If he tears it up like I expect him to next season he will be the Raiders top priority to upgrade and keep.

SneakyEel

Juniors
Tigers could start turning things around fairly soon but there are a lot of ifs involved. If they can sign Hodgson or Korisau. If Hastings brings his Superleague form to the NRL. If the pommy centre (forget his name) signing works out…
Lots of ifs, if they sign Korisau if hastings plays well. I reckon they could get the spoon next year

TheRam

Coach

Mate even the last two years of Mahoney is at least if not better then what McCullough has produced over the same period. In big games even if Mahoney shit himself, he would at lease make his tackles and just feed the ball on, which is all that McCullough offers 49 games out of 50.

Jeez you sling some shit wrapped in Pou mediocre loving logic.

Latest posts