What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TWO new Brisbane teams

mongoose

Coach
Ha?
The Titans needs every area they can get.
If I was the Titans I would change my name to South Queensland Titans, find a training base in around Logan and do everything I can to take it over.
Well maybe, but they're a Gold Coast team. Gold Coast has 600k people, more than Newcastle and Canberra.
Gold Coast is also still a long distance from Logan, it's not just right next door.

T-Boon

Coach
Well maybe, but they're a Gold Coast team. Gold Coast has 600k people, more than Newcastle and Canberra.
Gold Coast is also still a long distance from Logan, it's not just right next door.
True, however Logan is closer to the Gold Coast than Tweed Heads is. They should certainly play their home games out of Robina but they should at least consider trying to extend their area to Logan especially as folks from Logan are more likely to support RL than folks from the Gold Coast (as I understand it).

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Firehawks and Jets might benefit from the time now to put a joint proposal together to cover the Ipswich, Logan and South Brisbane areas. If the NRL go for Brisbane 3 though, there will be one of the following three sacrificed because going past 20 teams would be a big ask:

- Perth
- NZ2
- Adelaide

Santino Patane

Juniors
Logan and the GC are literally next door to each other. Logan was always a part of the South Coast Rugby League comps and have far more synergy with the GC than Ipswich. The Gold Coast’s growth corridor is on the borders of Logan. Talent development in Logan is already a key focus for the Titans as we speak (eg association with Marsden High). I could keep going, but I think I’ve made my point.

Santino Patane

Juniors
True, however Logan is closer to the Gold Coast than Tweed Heads is. They should certainly play their home games out of Robina but they should at least consider trying to extend their area to Logan especially as folks from Logan are more likely to support RL than folks from the Gold Coast (as I understand it).
Does everyone know the Gold Coast is not just Surfers to Broadbeach? The city starts at Yatala in the north and stretches to Coolangatta on the border? I think the Tweed Coast is comfortably associated with the Goldie….

xe_kilroy

Juniors
No reason Sydney has 428 teams across the suburbs, but Brisbane has to stfu and be happy with 2 teams.

Perth and Adelaide sbould be relocated Sydney suburban teams.

Sydney doesn't need Canterbury (Adelaide) or Cronulla (Perth). That's for starters. Would force Dragons to Wollongong full time, Tigers to Campbelltown full time. Maybe even Sea Eagles to Gosford full time... Otherwise Bears there.

Sydney only needs... Roosters, Rabbits, representing the CBD as such, and Parramatta and Penrith (western growth), and you have Campbelltown/Liverpool serviced now (Tigers). Main Sydney regions of growth. Would still be Cronulla, Canterbury, etc in NSWRL to hold onto juniors.

Put it this way.... The NFL has max two teams in massive cities like LA and NY only, and eventually maybe a Cbicago 2. Theres a large number of other teams in cities with like say 500k-1m population centers.

If the NFL can plonk teams in such places, and not have 43 NY teams, then surely the NRL can be bullish with all these excess Sydney teams.

My ideal for QLD is Broncos, Ipswich, GC, Moreton Bay, Sunshine Coast, eventually Rockhampton, Townsville, maybe Cairns. To kind of match a NSW look of Wollongong, Campbelltown, Parramatta, Penrith, Sydney x2, Gosford, Newcastle. Maybe Tweed Heads.

All the main eastern regions even if the population in some of those places is 500k. Again, spreading the net around. And like the NFL, which has a revenue sharing process so all the smaller cities can stay competitive and rich, NRL could do something similar.

Just takes some brass balls, and incentives/threats on teams hanging on a thread. No need to kill their history, can keep a history in NSWRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Never happen. Clubs have a massive influence on the 'independent' commission and therefore the ARLC would never be able to push it through. The NRL should take a more sink or swim attitude though and not hold back expansion because some existing clubs cant keep up. I'd cut the grant to $11.5mill and the salary to $9.5 mill. That frees up straight away $24mill a year to bring in two more clubs, NRL now has a surplus again so can afford the 20th club. Dont put them all on TV (put the 2 new games on NRL streaming service) then you wont be beholden to making sure all 20 survive. Let those who cant survive drop out. Only way you are going to see any movement and fans cant get upset with the NRL if their own clubs ineptitude has cost them a spot.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Could the ARLC/NRL do something like...."in the year 2025, say, we are offering licenses to a max 16 teams around Australia, and all current NRL teams must re-submit for entry, we offer a maximum 4 Sydney licenses, but teams can opt to submit for 1 campb, 1 wollong, 1 gosford, 1 perth, 1 adelaide, licenses? That way, forcing a situation per previous post?

ReddFelon

Juniors

Nah mate, you can literally cross a road in Tweed Heads and you're in Coolangatta. Logan is further away but neither of them is far away.

mongoose

Coach
Logan and the GC are literally next door to each other. Logan was always a part of the South Coast Rugby League comps and have far more synergy with the GC than Ipswich. The Gold Coast’s growth corridor is on the borders of Logan. Talent development in Logan is already a key focus for the Titans as we speak (eg association with Marsden High). I could keep going, but I think I’ve made my point.

the LGA's share a border but there is 50km of highway between Beenleigh and Robina

mongoose

Coach

Well I was at Surfers on the weekend, saw a guy in a retro Eels jersey, some chick in a Wynnum Seagulls jersey and a guy in a Cowboys polo shirt. Didn't see any fumbleball Guernsey's....

Wizardman

First Grade
Rugby league is in a strange place. If you were to fly an american over here and ask them how to expand the game, they would say take a few teams out of Sydney and spread them to different parts of the country.

The big issue is.....Sydney clubs are a HUGE part of the appeal of rugby league to this day. They are our history. I would not object to losing Sydney clubs by natural attrition though.

Difficult issue.

Santino Patane

Juniors
the LGA's share a border but there is 50km of highway between Beenleigh and Robina
Sure is, but out still doesn’t take away the fact that Logan is still far more related to the Goldie than Ipswich. I bought my house in the GCCC, and because a state premier wanted to play with boundaries, I’m now considered Logan. Part of the appeal in living in Beenleigh is that it’s halfway between Brodie and the Coast, my wife and I can work in town and spend our weekends on the coast. And this isn’t just my household, most of my friends in the area live here for this reason. Finally, it may be 40 minutes to Robina, but it’s 10 minutes to Ormeau/Pimpama (closer than Loganholme) which is unequivocally the Gold Coast, and a key part of RL growth catchment.

Also, from a League perspective, it takes under an hour to get to a game at Robina, yet Lang Park is a minimum of 1.5hrs (you need to give yourself 2 in case of traffic). Finally, as I said earlier, the Titans in house talk of Beenleigh to Ballina, or Logan to Lismore being the space they want to own.

As I alluded to, this area is my home. I’m confident in what demographics are around me and my community.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Could the ARLC/NRL do something like...."in the year 2025, say, we are offering licenses to a max 16 teams around Australia, and all current NRL teams must re-submit for entry, we offer a maximum 4 Sydney licenses, but teams can opt to submit for 1 campb, 1 wollong, 1 gosford, 1 perth, 1 adelaide, licenses? That way, forcing a situation per previous post?
Clubs would just band together and we’d have sl2.