What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Das Hassler

Bench
I'm not a fan of this. If he performs than it's great but I don't see why we bother. We have Peachey, Jake SImpkin and Liddle atm to fill that utility/2nd hooker role off the bench.

I mean if Brooks kills it at 9 play him there but I can see another 5 years of development time when we can't afford develop time.

Yes but any combination of the players you've mentioned and others go through a never ending rotation of injury recovery ...every preseason everyone has their ideal lineup in mind but it never pans out for long...competent depth covering every position is No.1...everything else can take a number. Exhibit 1 Melbourne....i doubt that Bellamy agonises over who plays where too much...he just covers every contingency.
Also...Brooks is unbreakable...that's worth keeping in mind.

Hoofhearted

Juniors

Tom Starling’s arrest leaves Josh Hodgson’s Wests Tigers transfer in doubt​

Raiders star Tom Starling’s NRL future hangs in balance after details of his second Central Coast arrest since December emerge.

Brent Read

October 20, 2021 - 3:52PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Tigerm

First Grade

Tom Starling’s arrest leaves Josh Hodgson’s Wests Tigers transfer in doubt​

Raiders star Tom Starling’s NRL future hangs in balance after details of his second Central Coast arrest since December emerge.

Brent Read

October 20, 2021 - 3:52PM
I wonder if that will effect the Hodgson issue?

Tiger5150

Bench
Rome wasn’t built in a day.

The coach was half buried while still breathing, players sacked en mass, blood all over the club, the recruiter we headhunted is summarily executed without a fair trial and a new commander flown in from a foreign land, seemingly answerable only to himself in a role he’s self defining.

All things considered, for better or worse, Lee and the punk rocker have kept their promise of structural change.

If it fails fine, but until then- it’s more constructive to keep an open mind. All of this “mayhem” as you describe it, might actually work.For all we know, Madge and Tim might get on like a house on fire.

Theres no need to impute any bad feelings between them on the basis of responsibilities.

Otherwise, we know Madge isnt quite cutting it on his own. Tim on standby is better than a poke in the eye and a lot cheaper as you say.

My tip for assistant: Flanagan. He is being interviewed apparently.

Nek minnut....

Hoofhearted

Juniors

I hope we stand our ground, $450k is in my opinion overs to start with let alone $700k. If Luc was at any of the top 4 clubs he would struggle to get in their 17. Being one of the better players at a bottom team does not automatically mean you get top dollar.

If he sooks and wants to go elsewhere, we have Blore, Garner, Tuilagi, Tuki, Seyfarth and the club should try and get someone like Simms for a couple of years to help bring these younger guys through.

I like Luc but for $700k you would want Angus Crichton or someone of that ilk.

NRL transfer news: Luciano Leilua price tag to hit $3 million as Wests Tigers hesitate on big deal​

Wests Tigers forward Luciano Leilua has been waiting 10 weeks for Wests Tigers to nail down a contract upgrade, yet time is almost up on re-signing the big Samoan.

Dean Ritchie
October 20, 2021 - 5:25PM

Wests Tigers forward Luciano Leilua has been waiting 10 weeks for a dithering Wests Tigers to nail down a contract upgrade and extension which could be worth a cool $3 million.
Due to a series of delays, Wests Tigers now have little more than a week to re-sign Leilua or face having the Samoan Test star throw himself onto the NRL open market.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal Leilua is earning around $450,000 a year — he has one season remaining on his current deal — but has sought a significant pay increase for next season given his form this season.
It is understood Leilua will seek an upgraded deal worth $675,000 to $700,000 for 2022.

Luciano Leilua is believed to be chasing a new four-year deal expected to hit around $3 million.
And should that request be accepted and finalised, Leilua, 25, would then seek a new four-year deal to remain at Concord until the end of 2026. That would take his total upgraded and extended package to around $3 million.
Wests Tigers are aware of Leilua’s contract situation but have been slow to act on his retention.
Drama at the club surrounding coach Michael Maguire’s future, the departure of football general manager Adam Hartigan, the recruitment of head of football Tim Sheens, and the return of former recruitment Warren McDonnell has delayed the Leilua negotiations.
Most clubs were more than aware about difficulties in a securing a response or return call from Hartigan, even internally.

Contract talks between the club and Leilua started in August — and there’s still no resolution.
The key question is whether a deal can be struck before November 1 when Leilua essentially becomes a free agent — and a player expected to attract considerable interest.
Friends claim Leilua isn’t angry at the holdup but is getting restless. Losing Leilua would be a PR disaster for the club and the incoming Sheens.
Wests Tigers have indicated an inclination to retain Leilua but the wait for a contract offer continues.
There is no guarantee the Tigers will agree to Leilua’s financial request and may seek further negotiations with his management. There is no guarantee the Tigers will agree to Leilua’s financial request.
McDonnell is said to be a fan of Leilua and a new deal will likely be finalised, depending on whether both parties can agree on the financial terms.
Two recruitment managers from rival Sydney-based clubs told The Daily Telegraph that Leilua could now demand up to $700,000 a season.
The Tigers placed all contract negotiations on hold while undergoing a season review where Maguire’s job was under threat.
Many rated Leilua and Adam Doueihi as the Tigers’ best players this year.
Leilua’s contract wait can be revealed just a day after his older brother, Joey, left the Wests Tigers in ugly circumstances.
On his way out of Concord, Joey claimed Maguire refused to accept blame for losses this year.
Through Instagram, Leilua posted: “Btw (by the way), I wouldn’t play for someone that blames the team all the time! And not himself! #Madge.”
It is understood Joey’s comments will not impact on Luciano’s desire to remain at Concord.

Fordy20

Juniors

I hope we stand our ground, $450k is in my opinion overs to start with let alone $700k. If Luc was at any of the top 4 clubs he would struggle to get in their 17. Being one of the better players at a bottom team does not automatically mean you get top dollar.

If he sooks and wants to go elsewhere, we have Blore, Garner, Tuilagi, Tuki, Seyfarth and the club should try and get someone like Simms for a couple of years to help bring these younger guys through.

Sounds like a match made in heaven. Both Sims and Leilua have a year to run on their contracts. Let the Queens sign him for next year on $700k for however long they want and we'll take Sims for next season and the next year or two on much more reasonable coin.

Fordy20

Juniors
I don't know much about it but wasn't there problems with the way Eels handled his injury and thats why Stefo come over to Tigers? If he is right to play again you would hope Tigers are looking into it.

With us fielding two teams in Ron Massey next year, there's plenty of room to get him into our pathways.

hsvjones123

Juniors

NRL transfer news: Luciano Leilua price tag to hit $3 million as Wests Tigers hesitate on big deal​

Wests Tigers forward Luciano Leilua has been waiting 10 weeks for Wests Tigers to nail down a contract upgrade, yet time is almost up on re-signing the big Samoan.

Dean Ritchie
October 20, 2021 - 5:25PM

Wests Tigers forward Luciano Leilua has been waiting 10 weeks for a dithering Wests Tigers to nail down a contract upgrade and extension which could be worth a cool $3 million.
Due to a series of delays, Wests Tigers now have little more than a week to re-sign Leilua or face having the Samoan Test star throw himself onto the NRL open market.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal Leilua is earning around $450,000 a year — he has one season remaining on his current deal — but has sought a significant pay increase for next season given his form this season.
It is understood Leilua will seek an upgraded deal worth $675,000 to $700,000 for 2022.

Luciano Leilua is believed to be chasing a new four-year deal expected to hit around $3 million.
And should that request be accepted and finalised, Leilua, 25, would then seek a new four-year deal to remain at Concord until the end of 2026. That would take his total upgraded and extended package to around $3 million.
Wests Tigers are aware of Leilua’s contract situation but have been slow to act on his retention.
Drama at the club surrounding coach Michael Maguire’s future, the departure of football general manager Adam Hartigan, the recruitment of head of football Tim Sheens, and the return of former recruitment Warren McDonnell has delayed the Leilua negotiations.
Most clubs were more than aware about difficulties in a securing a response or return call from Hartigan, even internally.

Contract talks between the club and Leilua started in August — and there’s still no resolution.
The key question is whether a deal can be struck before November 1 when Leilua essentially becomes a free agent — and a player expected to attract considerable interest.
Friends claim Leilua isn’t angry at the holdup but is getting restless. Losing Leilua would be a PR disaster for the club and the incoming Sheens.
Wests Tigers have indicated an inclination to retain Leilua but the wait for a contract offer continues.
There is no guarantee the Tigers will agree to Leilua’s financial request and may seek further negotiations with his management. There is no guarantee the Tigers will agree to Leilua’s financial request.
McDonnell is said to be a fan of Leilua and a new deal will likely be finalised, depending on whether both parties can agree on the financial terms.
Two recruitment managers from rival Sydney-based clubs told The Daily Telegraph that Leilua could now demand up to $700,000 a season.
The Tigers placed all contract negotiations on hold while undergoing a season review where Maguire’s job was under threat.
Many rated Leilua and Adam Doueihi as the Tigers’ best players this year.
Leilua’s contract wait can be revealed just a day after his older brother, Joey, left the Wests Tigers in ugly circumstances.
On his way out of Concord, Joey claimed Maguire refused to accept blame for losses this year.
Through Instagram, Leilua posted: “Btw (by the way), I wouldn’t play for someone that blames the team all the time! And not himself! #Madge.”
It is understood Joey’s comments will not impact on Luciano’s desire to remain at Concord.
He is dreaming if he thinks he is worth 700k a year. 550k would be close to the max I would pay considering his defence is not up to top level salaries. No top club is going to pay him that sort of money and hope Tigers don't either.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'd love to see players sign with us on fair terms without any drama. I hope we do a deal but we can't keep having players stay with us always on overs. Nofo recently is a similar case. They can both play but they have flaws and they expect top dollar despite the flaws.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Luciano is a very good player, who became a regular starter once he joined the Wests Tigers. Yes he has ups and downs, but he is young and has plenty of improvement left in him. Is he worth 700k a year? No, that's overs...but when you have someone who has genuine passion for the club, has proved that they are up to first grade standard, and actually is keen to try and pull us out of this mess rather than collect a paycheck and go home, then we should be looking at giving them a bit more than what they are worth. If we are honestly stalling and he goes to market then someone will snatch him up. It will leave a bitter taste in his mouth and he will probably sign for less than what we have offered.

We really can't afford to lose him. He is the best back rower we have at the club and I've seen no evidence to suggest there is a better back rower even remotely interested in coming to the tigers.

I'd love to see players sign with us on fair terms without any drama. I hope we do a deal but we can't keep having players stay with us always on overs. Nofo recently is a similar case. They can both play but they have flaws and they expect top dollar despite the flaws.
Yes.

The average player is only on about $320k and I wouldn’t rate Lucy as more than twice as good as factory. I would if he was more consistent, but he’s not quite there yet.

Latest posts