What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

T.S Quint

Coach
As usual, you come in with a comment that doesn’t reflect on what was said. Surely its more than sensible to stagger lengths, nothing to do with unsuitable contracts. That wouldn’t suit how you constantly circle jerk almost every subject.

Guess it makes sense not contribute too much these days.

How would that work though?

O’Neill: “Well here’s the deal Gutho, we would have offered you three years but then Reed just signed for three years so we can only offer you two years. Cool?”

Gutho: “Yeah, sweet cool bro.”

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
As usual, you come in with a comment that doesn’t reflect on what was said. Surely its more than sensible to stagger lengths, nothing to do with unsuitable contracts. That wouldn’t suit how you constantly circle jerk almost every subject.

Guess it makes sense not contribute too much these days.
Contract lengths are one of those things that are traded for other features of a contract, usually the amount of money paid. When the club requires a contract length that suits the club rather than the player they have to pay more. Likewise, you get the player cheaper when you give him the number of years he wants. Don't stress about having so many players off contract at the same time. It means we have more room to move under the cap for 2023.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

O’Neill: “Well here’s the deal Gutho, we would have offered you three years but then Reed just signed for three years so we can only offer you two years. Cool?”

Exactly. f**king ridiculous and just another reason to try and put the boot into the club.

Bandwagon

Staff member
If you're trying to top contracts out at three years, then at least one third of your squad coming of contract at the same time is inevitable. That's just the maths of it. If you've got multiple guys on one or two years as well, then it's gonna be closer to half your squad.

That's unavoidable.

This next contract year is gonna see a lot of movement, it has to because of the Dolphins, Clubs will lose players to them, and have to replace them, and so on. It's no surprise there'll be a lot of more public wrangling and speculation reported, because that's gotta make a huge impact, but that doesn't mean we've any more players coming off contract this year than we had last year or indeed the year before.

Bandwagon

Staff member
If Rheed want's to go, he'll go, if he wants to stay he'll stay. All the club can do is create an environment he wants to stay at, and work within the boundaries of how much they can spend to get him over the line. Beyond that it's really open chequebook stuff that'll make any difference.

Perhaps we're not yet in the league of the likes of certain other clubs when it comes to signing and retention, and I guess there is always room to do better again, but we are certainly seem to be a f**k ton better at it now than we have in the past, our cap is not a f**king clusterf**k like it obviously was in 2016.

Folks oughta remember we cheated the cap to only end up cellar dwellers, we've come a f**king long way in last five years or so.

hindy111

Post Whore
Let's hope we do notmlose Rheed and get desperate and throw more at Gutherson.
I feel our spine needs a change tbh and Guthnis the odd one out for me.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Lol exactly, @Delboy happy to throw everyone at the club under the bus besides his good mate Arthur.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Yep Rheed is easily the most important re-signing the rest aren’t even close. If we lose Gutho and keep Rheed he’s a ready made replacement as skipper as well.
We might end up paying Rheed so much he will than have to play 80 every week even when carrying injury.
Oh wait!

hindy111

Post Whore
Yep Rheed is easily the most important re-signing the rest aren’t even close. If we lose Gutho and keep Rheed he’s a ready made replacement as skipper as well.

2022 is our window realistically.

I feel we would be then best to take a hit and a 2023 rebuild. We'd probably still be competitive but not a genuine chance. We however could then go for it in 2024/2025.
If we try and get to much from this squad we may end up in a hole.

So that means in 2024 I'd be looking at these guys gone.
N.Brown,Gutherson,RCG, SIVO and maybe even Junior and Matterson could be up.

And build with Rheed,Moses,Dylan,Penisini,Russel,Papali.and fill in the rest. That atleast is a good spine.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Just checked his Wiki page. He is from Nambour

cheers for that,

I remember when he first came to my notice years ago and I looked him up and back then it said he grew up in Gympie

Nambour and Gympie aint that far apart, lets just say he's from the Sunshine Coast

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'd say that Mahoney is more important to retain for the simple reason that we do not have a replacement of quality should he leave.

If we can't keep Gutherson, we can slot in Russell (though he is untried).

But a good fullback is hard to come by, and Gutherson is very, very good - despite his limitations.

strider

Post Whore
its funny - cos it wasnt long ago there was a long drawn out "rheed isn't that good" debate on here ..... now its a "pay him f**kin whatever it takes" debate

I think he is a quality player - but he also brings alot of off field qualities - which probably means you should pay a bit over to keep him, but of course there are limits and if his manager goes there, then maybe we lose him

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I'd say that Mahoney is more important to retain for the simple reason that we do not have a replacement of quality should he leave.

If we can't keep Gutherson, we can slot in Russell (though he is untried).

But a good fullback is hard to come by, and Gutherson is very, very good - despite his limitations.
The problem for Gutho is that there's heaps of good fullbacks which impacts his demand. There's no reason to pay too much for him.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Exactly, easier to replace fullback than a hooker. Any winger can play fb but they can't play hooker.

Nah, which of our wingers would you be happy to have at Fullback in place of Gutho? Sivo perhaps?

Oh, bear in mind, wingers that move to fullback and are good enough to be first choice fullback, want first choice fullback money.

SneakyEel

Juniors
There isn't a heap of fullbacks that offer more than Gutho. I think merkins underestimate his influence on this squad, both on and off the field.

Who you gonna trade him for that offers as much for less coin? Or even close to as much?
I personally wouldn't trade him for anyone. Works his ass off at training, loves the club, never gets in trouble off the field, gives 100% every week and is a role model for all of our players. If we lose him, I feel we lose the heart and determination in this team.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The problem for Gutho is that there's heaps of good fullbacks which impacts his demand. There's no reason to pay too much for him.

I'm not sure about that, tbh.

What he lacks in explosiveness, and speed, he makes up for with skill, and defence.

I lost count of how many tries Gutho saved this year.

And we all know how skilful he is.

I think he is a brilliant player, and would hate to see him leave.

But he is probably a little easier to replace than Mahoney.

Latest posts