What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

MugaB

Coach
But then Ipswich still won't have a team in the NRL ... which would be their main goal for doing it I'd suggest.

The West Coast Pirates could relocate their bid location to Port Moresby, become the PNG Pirates, but that won't make any of us in WA all warm and fuzzy just because the team exists.

I know what you're saying, but I can't see them being happy at the idea.
OOooorrrrrrr!!!!

PNG can continue its own joint bid with Cairns and become the PNG Pride (Lion Mascot) and all these other dumb bids switching citys and feeder clubs can f off

Colk

First Grade
Where is the money for PNG? How are their nominal supporters going to support the team through memberships, gate receipts, TV viewership if half the population live below the poverty line? What players are they attracting? What about security - the country is pretty violent? What about broadcasting - the money like NZ would have to come from the local country’s broadcaster - do they’ve the money? What about the costs orca flying their team every week? What about training/corporate facilities?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Still say the best outcome would be for WA to partner up with PNG. Create a Pirates academy in Port Moresby, play pre season games there. Special png jersey, png membership etc,
Bring across their best and brightest to join our U18’s and reserve grade. Opens up a brand new pathway for player development. PNG is NEVER getting an nrl club so this would be a good outcome for both areas.

Pippen94

First Grade
What if Ipswich Jets tried to enter the NRL as the Western Jets, based full-time out of Perth?

The team could have a feeder club arrangement with Ipswich, which has a strong rugby league competition of its own, to provide players for the NRL team.

Western Jets, based out of Perth, would probably have more corporate support than a team based out of Ipswich.

No, just no

Still say the best outcome would be for WA to partner up with PNG. Create a Pirates academy in Port Moresby, play pre season games there. Special png jersey, png membership etc,
Bring across their best and brightest to join our U18’s and reserve grade. Opens up a brand new pathway for player development. PNG is NEVER getting an nrl club so this would be a good outcome for both areas.

You mean like PNG hunters which even players exposure & already exist?!

Perth Red

Post Whore
No, just no

You mean like PNG hunters which even players exposure & already exist?!
Strengthening hunters by having more investment in jnr development under them and giving them a direct pathway by being part of the Pirates system. Some kids would come through the Pirates system and some through the hunters. Imagine what it would do for game in png if we had 5 PNG stars in the WC Pirates starting 17! We should be able to produce another 5-6 WA players in the first team eventually, add in some poms who’d love the perth life and you’ve got sustainable growth without weakening the other 17 clubs.

Pippen94

First Grade
Strengthening hunters by having more investment in jnr development under them and giving them a direct pathway by being part of the Pirates system. Some kids would come through the Pirates system and some through the hunters. Imagine what it would do for game in png if we had 5 PNG stars in the WC Pirates starting 17! We should be able to produce another 5-6 WA players in the first team eventually, add in some poms who’d love the perth life and you’ve got sustainable growth without weakening the other 17 clubs.

Steal talent from elsewhere because you can't create ur own. Runs contrary to all the boasts about large grassroots.

Qld cup already direct path NRL. PNG doesn't need to be exploited by u guys

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha - don't want to go there. Perth no where near all other bids when it comes to grassroots.

This bid might end up like last one u were part of
We may never get chance to put a bid together, but if any of them want my help I’d love to.

I posted for the ignorant like you that dont know what rl looks like outside the east coast.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Steal talent from elsewhere because you can't create ur own. Runs contrary to all the boasts about large grassroots.

You call it exploitation, I call it partnership. How many png developed players in the nrl? Less than WA ones probably. A direct pathway and direct investment is a win win. Plenty of companies have joint mining interest in wa and png opening up more sponsorship opportunities. Thinking outside the box, I understand why you would struggle to understand it lol

Pippen94

First Grade
We may never get chance to put a bid together, but if any of them want my help I’d love to.

I posted for the ignorant like you that dont know what rl looks like outside the east coast.

Then you should stop posting here taking potshots at other bids, because it'd be a conflict of interest if it isn't already

Pippen94

First Grade
You call it exploitation, I call it partnership. How many png developed players in the nrl? Less than WA ones probably. A direct pathway and direct investment is a win win. Plenty of companies have joint mining interest in wa and png opening up more sponsorship opportunities. Thinking outside the box, I understand why you would struggle to understand it lol

No, I can just smell bullshit particularly when you need such a complicated fix to establishing a team. Every chance PNG has aspirations themselves & will try to follow dolphins path

Colk

First Grade

More like outside Sydney. He is of the opinion that the best way to compete against the AFL is to have more teams in Sydney

Colk

First Grade
No, I can just smell bullshit particularly when you need such a complicated fix to establishing a team. Every chance PNG has aspirations themselves & will try to follow dolphins path

You do realise that PNG is a third world country right?

Perth Red

Post Whore
You do realise that PNG is a third world country right?
Lol,png never getting a team, killing two birds with one stone by wa linking with the thousands of kids playing rl in png seems a good opportunity to me. Covers off on one of our weaknesses, jnr numbers, and gives png a direct path to nrl both for fans to support and kids to aspire to one day play for “The” Pirates.

Colk

First Grade
PNG is definitely not a short term option anyway. It’s a shame in a way because if it were a developed country and you had that many potential players and supporters it would be massive particularly for us against our competitors. But the amount of time and financial investment you would’ve to put in would be absolutely staggering

MugaB

Coach

This is why I've said they can be based primarily in Cairns at their new stadium and have 4-6 matches in PNG, a bit like STG-ILL dragons with Sydney and Wollongong
Also yeah they are already set up from digicell cup thru to QLD Cup in terms of pathways, only thing now is about giving them a top flight team to aspire to, and a joint bid, gives them the luxury of being based in Australia for most of their matches, reducing time/risk in PNG, and over time the games can increase, but more importantly, trials get played there in PNG, training base is in cairns

Perth Red

Post Whore
J
This is why I've said they can be based primarily in Cairns at their new stadium and have 4-6 matches in PNG, a bit like STG-ILL dragons with Sydney and Wollongong
Also yeah they are already set up from digicell cup thru to QLD Cup in terms of pathways, only thing now is about giving them a top flight team to aspire to, and a joint bid, gives them the luxury of being based in Australia for most of their matches, reducing time/risk in PNG, and over time the games can increase, but more importantly, trials get played there in PNG, training base is in cairns
Just cannabilising cowboys supporter base, they’d never agree to it.

MugaB

Coach
J

Just cannabilising cowboys supporter base, they’d never agree to it.
Doubt it, they have enough population up north to cater for it, plus a whole country of PNG to travel to visit, tourism from the richer supporters from port moresby will travel to see 1st grade side, and vice versa from those in Cairns

ReddFelon

Juniors
Doubt it, they have enough population up north to cater for it, plus a whole country of PNG to travel to visit, tourism from the richer supporters from port moresby will travel to see 1st grade side, and vice versa from those in Cairns
Who goes on holiday to Port Moresby? AIDS? Cairns fans already support the Cowboys en masse.

Latest posts