What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

The_Frog

First Grade
Definitely a modest deal. However, in the grand scheme of things, he’s done ok for himself young William. Not the flashiest player but seems to land on his feet more often than others.

I think he’s one of the very few players from our 2014 side that’s still playing NRL first grade.

Good on him.
From the side that played finals week 1:
Moylan
Mansour
Watene-Zelezniak
Smith
Murdoch-Masila

Isaah Yeo played 10 games that year and Bryce Cartwright 7 but not in the finals.

In Super League:
Whare

The_Frog

First Grade
From the side that played finals week 1:
Moylan
Mansour
Watene-Zelezniak
Smith
Murdoch-Masila

Isaah Yeo played 10 games that year and Bryce Cartwright 7 but not in the finals.

In Super League:
Whare
You can add Tyrone Peachey to that list as well. 14 games for us in 2014.

roofromoz

First Grade
Caleb Aekins has left Canberra, still no contract but speculation is that he will go to the Super League. How many need a serviceable and reliable fullback?

roofromoz

First Grade
He did score a cracking try in the 9's. Falling short of actually playing an NRL game puts him a rung below the greats such as Katoa though.

Jacques Moliner remains the only Frenchman to play for PENRITH.

Unless you count Tas Baiteri, but he didn't play for France.

How we made the top 4 in 2014 still amazes me. Jamie Soward carried that team in the last few months.
What a year that was. 2014 had very similar vibes to what the Roosters were able to achieve in 2021.

From memory, we lost players such as Wallace, Peachey, Cartwright, Yeo and a few others to injuries that had us depleted for a large portion of the year, yet still managed to make the top 4.

Soward was immense during the latter half that season. He indeed carried the team. The game against the Roosters in the first week of the finals is still one of the best games I’ve ever seen where he nailed it with what was one of the ugliest field goals I have ever seen!

Big Bill

Juniors
Jacques Moliner remains the only Frenchman to play for PENRITH.

Unless you count Tas Baiteri, but he didn't play for France.
Moliner came to Penrith with another guy, Philipe something started with B who played U/23s. Wasn't as good as Moliner though.

Fangs

Coach
Caleb Aekins has left Canberra, still no contract but speculation is that he will go to the Super League. How many need a serviceable and reliable fullback?

He still has a future in the NRL. I'll be surprised if he isn't picked up by another club.

Munky

Coach
Not NRL - but Shane Rodney has moved out west to coach Orange Hawks for the next two seasons.
He was always a favorite of mine - glad to see he is still involved in the game.

Was my favourite player when he was with us. When Pritchard was being hyped as the gun backrower I always thought Rodney had a more complete game.

Was it two or three seasons he missed due to injury with us?

Like Frank he converted to prop late in his career. However Rodney never relied purely on physical dominance and earned a second premiership. Frank just looked old and slow playing intgr front row. Pretty nuts that Manly won a GF with two premiership backrowers from our 03 team playing prop.

Edit: Just checked Rodney only played 33 games in the 05 to 08 seasons for us.