What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Spot on Suity.

P.S. Apologies for derailing this thread (no pun intended). Some of the AFL commentary has been baffling.

Suitman

Post Whore
Spot on Suity.

P.S. Apologies for derailing this thread (no pun intended). Some of the AFL commentary has been baffling.

You didn't derail this thread, @TheRam did.
But to be fair, he didn't as well.
His opinions are genuine, and I can see where he is coming from. I also think that the SA govt are anti rectangular football stadium and are AFL compliant and agree with those points. I just disagree that the NRL are being ignorant or lazy or whatever in pushing the case for Adelaide. They have no intention of heading there.
If anything, it is up to the FFA to push the case for the rectangular stadium for football, and to be honest, South Australia would completely ignore them as well. RA would have no hope.
The state is an absolute no hoper for any rectangular sports.
We should really be pushing towards WA if we want to expand.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
His opinions are genuine, and I can see where he is coming from. I also think that the SA govt are anti rectangular football stadium and are AFL compliant and agree with those points. I just disagree that the NRL are being ignorant or lazy or whatever in pushing the case for Adelaide. They have no intention of heading there.
If anything, it is up to the FFA to push the case for the rectangular stadium for football, and to be honest, South Australia would completely ignore them as well. RA would have no hope.
Prefer the idea of WA to SA provided they stop weaponising their borders. But TBH I struggle to see us over turning AFL strong holds. Still not sure that the Storm have been a success given the amount of support the NRL has given coupled with the lack of support they've received.

If it was up to me I'd be exploring PNG and the Pacific. Massive growth opportunities in that part of the world.

Suitman

Post Whore
Prefer the idea of WA to SA provided they stop weaponising their borders. But TBH I struggle to see us over turning AFL strong holds. Still not sure that the Storm have been a success given the amount of support the NRL has given coupled with the lack of support they've received.

If it was up to me I'd be exploring PNG and the Pacific. Massive growth opportunities in that part of the world.

Couldn't agree more.
This is the advantage we have over that crap sport.
We have the international advantage to do such things. They have nothing in that regard.
Anyway, enough derailing of this thread.
Let's get back to the infrastructure side of things.

TheRam

Coach
They have had better administration than the NRL for ages

Vlad (Demetriou) ran the AFL like he was a dictator, hence the nic name. Any negative articles from the media and that journo was locked out of any official media releases or media conferences, till they toed the line.

Limited News feasts on the NRL like the parasites they are and you don't see too much negative press on the AFL unless it's from Sydney or Brisbane media.

I don't often agree with what you say mate but Twizz, you nailed this one.

TheRam

Coach
I’d be targeting the pacific islands before f**ken Adelaide. You lost me with that one.

The only reason I suggested Adelaide in front of other options is IF we can induce the SA State Gov to make the indoor City stadium footy compatible. If that were to happen then the success of an NRL franchise in Adelaide is assured. It is literally a once in a life time opportunity. Once this is built, that's it. That space and opportunity is gone. It would be only around 20k seats, but in doing so and its very location and quality and its all weather defence and warm comfort plus the quality of the up close view and atmosphere would be spoken about by the media and fan word of mouth. The pictures too would be amazing and make thousands take notice. So why wouldn't the NRL invest in a State that would otherwise be a massive challenge now (we have left it so freakin late that the locals are way to entrenched and loyal to AFL) for acceptance and long term success?

This though is a shiny new state of the art, in the city bauble that would be very difficult to resist. It is big enough for a great crowd atmosphere but not to big to make it difficult to fill each game. With membership taking up around say a 3rd of the seats, then it would not be difficult at all to fill the rest. In the City locations are a game changer. If we ever get a high end stadium in any City it will blow everyone's mind at how the people would respond and take to it.

We love sports, Put a right size, high quality facility that is protected from all kinds of weather no matter how bad, where people gather naturally and are looking for entertainment, well they will respond with their bums on seats and money in their wallets. Business would be booming and like I said, besides you, the AFL would hate it the most, but in particular League and Soccer would thrive and over time the NRL in particular would become part of the fabric of their City and State overall. But we need a strong catalyst and lure to make it happen. This is it with a massive neon sign flashing...

"DON'T MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY FOR SUCCESS DUMBARSES. IT WILL NEVER COME AGAIN. IT'S A ONE TIME ONLY DEAL. MOVE HEAVEN AND EARTH TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. NOW!!!"...

and the AFL is laughing because it looks like we have missed out, without so much as a slowdown glance.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
Since when did a Dictatorship that silences critics become evidence of good management?

I suppose you think China is a well run country as well?

To achieve your objective of growth and dominance it is the best way if you have a quality big ideas leader.

However when we are talking of nations and military wars, then eventually the chickens come home to roost.

But with sport there is no such blowback and only conquest. We have already been conquered, it's just that most of us don't know it yet are are in denial.

Like I said in an earlier post, it took another 3 years for Germany to surrender, but all the Generals knew that the war was lost in 1942 after Starlingrad. Same with the AFL-NRL rivalry/domination. It just isn't so obvious at this point because there are still a couple of markers like TV audience figures that are neck and neck and hide the truth and what is actually slowly happening. But over the next decade or so as the kiddies of NSW and QLD take more and more to AFL both playing and watching, the difference will become so freakin obvious that even old Diablo wouldn't of been able to argue against it.

Time sorts out all the winners and losers eventually.

TheRam

Coach
I'm married to a Victorian and have spent a lot of time there. I don't like the way the do things at all and don't consider them to be something we should aspire to.

You lauded their ability to stifle free speech. I find that appalling.

We aren't talking about political interference in free speech here mate. Stop being such a prissy prima donna.

I couldn't care less about how you F E E L about it. It is just one part of their successful and winning management style that has wiped the floor with us. So you can stick your feelings up your you know what. We have a freaking war to win. Jeez!

TheRam

Coach
Twiz, I love you like the great grandfather I never had. However, I think for your own credibility you need to graciously exit at this point. Referring to the Chinese economy as poor shows a distinct lack of awareness.

Yes that was weird. They are basically the richest nation on earth now. Oh and guess as to what has been a massive contributor to that outcome, besides the West bending over and allowing them to help themselves? They have a fiat currency system along side their normal currency and just print money and use it to build or do whatever they need or want. So much for all the Austrian economists and supporters that think that fiat is poison.

TheRam

Coach

My point is we should not just give up when there is such a prize to be won if we can somehow succeed. We need to have a go at least with a united front with the other sports. Make noise, lobby privately, do everything possible including offering a franchise if we get it footy compliant. I mean they aren't going to change its configuration if we don't have a team, now will they?

The rewards are massive if we succeed, and we have not much to lose if we aren't successful. But at least we have become the squeaky wheel that needs the oil, so next time if there is a next time, we might get some traction and get something worth having.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We aren't talking about political interference in free speech here mate. Stop being such a prissy prima donna.

I couldn't care less about how you F E E L about it. It is just one part of their successful and winning management style that has wiped the floor with us. So you can stick your feelings up your you know what. We have a freaking war to win. Jeez!
It’s not a f**ken war mate. There is room for both codes. I’d hate to see us obsessed with one upping AFL to the point that we lose our identity.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yes that was weird. They are basically the richest nation on earth now. Oh and guess as to what has been a massive contributor to that outcome, besides the West bending over and allowing them to help themselves? They have a fiat currency system along side their normal currency and just print money and use it to build or do whatever they need or want. So much for all the Austrian economists and supporters that think that fiat is poison.
I don’t mind fiats. They drive OK even if they are a bit small.