What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

MugaB

Coach
I am actually not in favour of a draft or it wouldn’t be my preference. I think a draft has its positives, the biggest being the promotion of the comp; however there are also many negatives, particularly in the style of an AFL draft (it’s too simplistic and there is the dreaded tanking problem)

I do believe though that there needs to be something attached to the current salary cap. There is no other competition in the world that just has a salary cap because a salary cap in isolation doesn’t work. You have other nmechanisms in place; it could be nominal values, it could be a restriction on spending for outside recruitment, it could be something else entirely but you need an extra trigger to balance the competition because the trend over the past 10 or so years is going towards a European soccer style competition. There are plenty of people smarter than me who should be able to figure that out.

On the player/junior development all I’m saying is that the NRL or a body seperate to the clubs should fund it. All areas need to be considered equally important in terms of funding and production of talent and not be dictated to by how well the local leagues club is travelling.

Let the clubs concentrate on their core business and getting more money and support through membership, promotion and sponsorship
Fund it yes, run it no... clubs should be invested in junior development

Choppy91

Juniors
Rumours i've heard from the knowledge of a current player manager. -

Reed Mahoney to meet with Dolphins, not guaranteed to sign with Parra just yet.
Brandon Smith to Titans unless Storm come back with a higher offer.
DCE to Dolphins. Manly currently seeking compensation from releasing him from his final year. Manly Have signed a couple of young playmakers (1 from Newcastle's junior system) in preperation for his potential departure.
Kikau to Cowboys.

Someone2

Juniors
Tigers have gone shopping at the favourite place again the parramatta reject bin and have signed IP on massive overs

hsvjones123

Juniors
Tigers have gone shopping at the favourite place again the parramatta reject bin and have signed IP on massive overs
Tigers have done an outstanding deal with IP..
600k a year for a Dally M 2nd rower of the year, I believe Eels player of the year and still only 23 years old heading into his prime years... They should be congratulated by most people expect Eels fans..
If I was a Eels fan I would be pissed as they kept Matterson instead of IP and matterson is only 1 or 2 head knocks off retirement. Madness and now they are struggling to lock up there captain and hooker... They can now breath easy the Dogs over spent today on Kikau so won't chase a hooker now

Mr Spock!

Referee
There's Clubs that can afford to buy mercs regulary (pawwa, easts, dogs) and have little need for junior development, mostly plucking them out of the areas of northetn rivers, to newcastle, better for the clubs that service that area for supporters keep the local rookies rather than lose them to the like of the roosters, i mean look at one example... what would the knights look like if Boyd Cordner played for the knights? Australian and Blues Captain.
Those days of clubs going under are gone, thats another reason why Todd Greenberg would say "club will have to sink or swim, no more bail outs" coz really when are thet going to go under now, half the budget of costs are cut, your not overpaying for promotions, wrestle coaches, salary cap for plsyers and coach staff paid for..
ARLC aren't losing brands no more, theyve made an outline budget for each club to adhere to, no more going under coz nathan tinkler bailed sort of stuff... i feel your looking for ways to even out the playing pool with bringing in an AFL style draft that is extremely against everything rugba leeg.
I'm sure the sharks will be lining up for another bailout soon.

MugaB

Coach
Doubt it, there isn't any clubs that can suffer any consequences now, not the way the ARLC have set them up, only thing that will muck everything up is if broadcasters dont pony up in 2028 onwards, then clubs without solid $13mil grants will feel the pinch

There's Clubs that can afford to buy mercs regulary (pawwa, easts, dogs) and have little need for junior development, mostly plucking them out of the areas of northetn rivers, to newcastle, better for the clubs that service that area for supporters keep the local rookies rather than lose them to the like of the roosters, i mean look at one example... what would the knights look like if Boyd Cordner played for the knights? Australian and Blues Captain.
Those days of clubs going under are gone, thats another reason why Todd Greenberg would say "club will have to sink or swim, no more bail outs" coz really when are thet going to go under now, half the budget of costs are cut, your not overpaying for promotions, wrestle coaches, salary cap for plsyers and coach staff paid for..
ARLC aren't losing brands no more, theyve made an outline budget for each club to adhere to, no more going under coz nathan tinkler bailed sort of stuff... i feel your looking for ways to even out the playing pool with bringing in an AFL style draft that is extremely against everything rugba leeg.
Two knee reconstructions and a broken jaw before his NRL debut, would the Knights have had the patience and nurtured him like the Roosters did? Interesting what-might’ve-been, though.

Chimp

Juniors
Sharks are one of the clubs relatively unscathed by Covid as they’d been paid a motza by the development company to cover costs of playing away from Shark Park for 2 years whilst the development took shape - just happened to perfectly time with Covid, so no impact on lost gate receipts. Plus plenty of cash in the bank from the development, and NRL now covering more than salary cap, Sharks are one of the strongest clubs financially now.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Sharks are one of the clubs relatively unscathed by Covid as they’d been paid a motza by the development company to cover costs of playing away from Shark Park for 2 years whilst the development took shape - just happened to perfectly time with Covid, so no impact on lost gate receipts. Plus plenty of cash in the bank from the development, and NRL now covering more than salary cap, Sharks are one of the strongest clubs financially now.
They had plenty of cash in the bank after prostituting themselves to Super League.

That disappeared and they had to have another bailout by the governing body.

super_coach

First Grade
But did they ever repay all the bail outs from the NRL.

Chimp

Juniors
Who cares - plenty of money in the bank NOW, unscathed by Covid, NRL covering vast majority of the annual costs nowadays anyway, good businessmen running the joint and adding money making assets to the portfolio - the Sharks are in a terrific place financially, and are not reliant on any sort of benefactor now. There’s plenty, and when I say plenty, I mean the majority of NRL clubs who’d swap places with the Sharks financially in a heartbeat.