What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Wally21

Bench
Melbourne have a number of elite level players in important positions, which means that any loss of other players is not going to impact on them as much as it will with us.
Melbourne have a well established system of recruitment and retention, (along with a long history of winning, which can influence players to sign with them for slightly less, and/or be prepared to stay with them for slightly less). Then, of course there's the opportunity to be coached by Craig Bellamy. Parramatta doesn't have any of those things. We don't have any elite level players, so losing Niuikorai, Papalii, and Mahoney is a far more serious blow to us than Melbourne losing the players you mentioned. We might be on our way to becoming more like Melbourne, I don't know, but when Melbourne lose (and replace) players, it looks like a far more measured and thought-out process. With us it appears more random. Personally, I do think Mahoney is replaceable, but losing those two forwards will hurt us big time. I get the feeling we were blind-sided over Mahoney, and should have offered the other two more money. But that's just my opinion.
Agree with most of what you have said Lingard. I was responding to a comment about a team losing so many top 17 players in a 12 month period, (albeit I slightly misunderstood that the poster meant in pre-season).
I didn’t want to lose Mahoney, but I was more pissed about Papali’i. And more pissed because he came to us on the scrap heap and moved on like a cheap whore chasing the coin after whatever special sauce we have helped him to shine.
I don’t know that we have as much chance as some believe of winning a comp in 22. I hope to be proved wrong.
I certainly won’t be cheering on Papali’i and Mahoney as loudly as I will be Moses, RCG and Penisini for example. It’s probably childish of this old bloke, but I don’t care.
Ray Higgs was my favourite player as a kid and I hated him for signing for Manly. Not much has changed…

Matty Bhoy

Juniors

Serious questions are being asked of Parramatta’s recruitment expertise, contract nous and strategy, questions coach Brad Arthur has been left to answer.

Brad Arthur has stepped forward on behalf of a bruised and battered Eels administration to quell fears the club’s roster and premiership hopes are in disarray.
The Parramatta coach has backed he and his support staff’s ability to unearth new stars while revealing the club’s departing players have made a pact to win the 2022 title before they leave.
The poaching of the club’s trio of guns including Reed Mahoney (Bulldogs), Isaiah Papali’i (Wests Tigers) and Marata Niukore (Warriors) has led to serious questions over Parramatta’s recruitment expertise, contract nous and strategy.
The relieving re-signing of captain Clint Gutherson has done little to appease frustrated fans who want answers at a point where NSW Origin prop Junior Paulo is also yet to be re-signed.
Instead of senior management stepping forward to discuss their recruitment process and fallout, it’s the head coach who has fronted-up to detail his disappointment in losing the trio while explaining why he had full faith in the club’s systems to replace them.
“It was a hard decision for those guys to tell me they’re leaving because as a squad we’re all very tight,’’ Arthur said.
“But everyone has got different needs in their career and what they want to get out of it.
“What Eels members and fans need to remember is, all these blokes that are leaving us started somewhere.
“We’ll do that again with other players.
“I’ve got confidence in the coaching staff and the senior players to help that happen.

“Tom Opacic (centre) came to us and improved, Bryce Cartwright (backrower) came in and improved, Isaiah, Reed – they all came in and improved.
“We’ll find more Mahoneys and Papali’is.
“Those three that are leaving are better footballers and better people for being here, so we know what we’re doing works.’’
Asked if he feared the contract chaos of the past six weeks, coupled with suggestions that the leaving players will lose their focus, would crush any hope of a 2022 title, Arthur replied: “No way.
“It will make us more galvanised and stronger.
“All three guys (Mahoney, Papali’i and Niukore) have said that to me. They’re determined to finish with what they came here to do.
“They all believe, on the back of what happened last year (beaten 8-6 by premiers Penrith in week two of the finals), that we’re getting closer and closer and they’re all determined to do it.
“All three have said the same thing — they’re going to finish the year strong for their mates and the club.’’

Arthur didn’t want to provide a running commentary on the Paulo negotiations, but there is a sense of confidence the hard-running prop will commit to a new deal.
However, the Eels coach did drill down on how the club plans to replace the loss of Mahoney, Papali’i and Niukore in 2023.
The club will have almost $2 million to spend on new players.
“The plan for me is, we re-sign the players that we’re trying to and the ones we need to replace, I’ve got trust in the staff and the playing squad that we’ll keep developing more players,’’ Arthur said.
“We want to retain everyone, but the reality is we can‘t.
“We’ve brought in Mary (Paul McGregor) and Mick Ennis (on the coaching staff) to help that development as well.
“We just have to work out what style of players suits us; do we want experience or younger players?

“In 2023 we’re still going to have the core nucleus here in Gutho (Gutherson), Mitch Moses, Dylan Brown, Nathan Brown, Reg (Regan Campbell-Gillard), Shaun Lane, Waqa Blake and Bryce Cartwright.
“Look at Melbourne and the Roosters, they get to a stage where they just can’t keep everyone and they bring people in underneath them and make them better.
“It’s a good reflection of our club that clubs are buying players from us. It used to be Parramatta buying expensive players from other clubs.’’
Penrith premiership-winning hooker Api Koroisau, Cowboys hooker Reece Robson and Tigers dummy-half Jacob Liddle have been offered to the club as a direct replacement for Mahoney.
“They’re all options,’’ Arthur said.
“We are not short on options. We have had a lot of interest from a lot of people.
“I’m really comfortable and confident in what lies ahead.
“We’re just going to stay calm and make sure that any moves that we make are best for the club in the long-term.’’

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
‘CAN’T GO ON LIKE THIS’: CHEAP EELS LET ANOTHER ONE SLIP AWAY
By Paul Crawley
Parramatta legends Ray Price and Mick Cronin have come out swinging over the loss of Reed Mahoney to their old arch rivals, the Bulldogs.
Price slammed the club’s current administration, declaring “they haven’t got a clue” and “are pathetic”.
The premiership-winning captain also reckons the people running the club “wouldn’t know a footballer if he picked his nose”.

Mahoney has taken the money and scooted over to Belmore.
Cronin’s beef related more to the demise of loyalty in a modern game, where “it seems to be all about the dollar”.
It is understood the Eels were blown out of the water by the Bulldogs’ four-year deal worth a reported $2.4 million, compared to the three-year term worth $1.5m that Parramatta put on the table.
Parramatta chairman Sean McElduff came out this week and said it was “absurd” that the Eels had been criticised for low-balling players during negotiations.
But there is just no denying that when push came to shove Canterbury’s new football boss Phil Gould played the Bulldogs’ old rivals off the break to sign the 23-year-old hooker who league legend Cooper Cronk has labelled a future captain.
Mahoney is said to have tossed and turned over the decision on Wednesday night before fronting coach Brad Arthur on Thursday morning.
He was apparently upset that the news then broke publicly before Mahoney got the chance to tell his teammates.

There has been speculation that the decision has also somewhat strained Mahoney’s relationship with his coach.
But his agent Sam Ayoub was adamant Mahoney would not be seeking a release from the final year of his existing contract.
“Of course, like the rest of the squad there, his ambition is to be winning the comp with Parramatta (in 2022),” Ayoub said.
But according to Price, the Eels have really dropped the ball by losing Mahoney on the back of Isaiah Papali’i and Maratha Niukore signing with the Wests Tigers and Warriors respectively.
“What are they doing?” Price fumed.
“He is a quality hooker. He is a very good player.
“But so is Papali’i.

“Jesus Christ.
“It can’t go on like this. They need players and they are just letting them go.”
And Price couldn’t hide that he was also fed up that former players from the Eels’ glory years no longer felt welcome at the club.
“There is not much we can do because they just don’t listen to anyone,” he added.
“We are the only team that won something and they couldn’t give a s**t about us.
“The majority of the people that are having anything to do with the club and the side wouldn’t know a footballer if he picked his nose.
“They haven’t got a clue. They are pathetic.”

Cronin, as is his way, did not want to make it personal, but was certainly “disappointed” with the way the game has changed.
In his day Cronin was famous for turning down significantly bigger offers from rival clubs to stay loyal to Parramatta, and he reckons many of his former teammates did the same.
“Blokes like Ella, Kenny, Price and Sterling would all come into that category,” Cronin said.
“They would have all taken unders to stay.
“I am not going to be hypocritical because the club can get rid of you pretty quick.
“But it disappoints me from a game perspective that there is not a lot of loyalty. It is just the modern game.
“All I am saying is that the game has changed. It seems to be all about the dollar.
“That is dead set a good offer and I can’t blame him.
“But as I said, it probably shows you to a degree now that it is just about the money.”
Cronk was also baffled that the Eels didn’t do more to keep the rising star, labelling it a “huge blow”.
“I reckon Parramatta would be scratching their heads,” Cronk told Fox Sports.
“He is courageous, he is tough, always putting his body on the line and they are the type of guys you can really form a good core around.”

Cronk also reckons Mahoney shows the character of a future captain: “Take performance out of the equation, I think Reed Mahoney has got a really good temperament, looks like a really good kid and someone you really can help instil a humble, hardworking culture.
“So I would have thought Parramatta would have tried to move heaven and earth to keep him.”

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Ogden metres per run in 2021 was better then RCG 9.55 to 9.46….

Not saying he is better, just showing there is a bit of potential there.

And while he is a decent side (192cm / 106kg), looks fairly mobile…

maybe has the potential to replace Papa’s middle role…

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Who do the fans (except you) respect the most ?
Why should the coach have to do the dirty work of the CEO or Chairman???

They were happy to be out there dribbling shit earlier in the year when things were going well. Now when the shit has hit the fan they have disappeared up their own dateholes. This is what they are paid to do. What has dipshit Jim achieved since he took over from the Bern??? Him and Max did all the heavy lifting.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Wait a minute, so $650 a year is a stupid offer??? Yet 2 weeks ago you said this in response to someone saying he was a done deal to the dogs at $2.4 over 4 years…

You certainly do like to change your story midway through to align yourself with whatever decision the club makes.
Good old Pou walking both sides of the street as usual, watching him try and spin his way out of this will be very exciting!!!

Gronk

Staff member
Why should the coach have to do the dirty work of the CEO or Chairman???

They were happy to be out there dribbling shit earlier in the year when things were going well. Now when the shit has hit the fan they have disappeared up their own dateholes. This is what they are paid to do. What has dipshit Jim achieved since he took over from the Bern??? Him and Max did all the heavy lifting.
You didn’t answer question. Who do the fans respect the most ?

You lot don’t know if you’re Arthur or Martha. One day it’s all the balled guy’s fault, today it’s the poor coach who has to front the media.

Right now we have a think tank of O’Neill, BA, Carr, Murphy, Kidwell, McGregor, Woolford, Ennis* and Grima all of whom have tremendous expertise from either playing or coaching at the top level. BA no doubt feels the buck stops with him, but today you want McElDuff’s head on a platter.

* thanks @Gazzamatta

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You didn’t answer question. Who do the fans respect the most ?

You lot don’t know if you’re Arthur or Martha. One day it’s all the balled guy’s fault, today it’s the poor coach who has to front the media.

Right now we have a think tank of O’Neill, BA, Carr, Murphy, Kidwell, McGregor, Woolford, Grima all of whom have tremendous expertise from either playing or coaching at the top level. BA no doubt feels the buck stops with him, but today you want McElDuff’s head on a platter.

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF
I want to hear from the leaders of the club, i'm sure the last thing BA wanted to do was front the media after the week that he and the club have had. His job is to coach the team not front the media and do the job of the chairman and CEO. What are they actually paid to do??? You don't think the Bern wouldn't have gotten on the front foot and did his job and spoke to the media??

It's just more proof these blokes have no f**king idea and are happy to spout shit when things are going well but nowhere to be seen when things get tough. McDerp was dribbling shit and whinging earlier in the week about the mean media saying we are lowballing our players but they way the Dogs blew our laughable first offer out of the water this was entirely the case. Where is he now???

Gronk

Staff member
I want to hear from the leaders of the club, i'm sure the last thing BA wanted to do was front the media after the week that he and the club have had. His job is to coach the team not front the media and do the job of the chairman and CEO. What are they actually paid to do??? You don't think the Bern wouldn't have gotten on the front foot and did his job and spoke to the media??

It's just more proof these blokes have no f**king idea and are happy to spout shit when things are going well but nowhere to be seen when things get tough. McDerp was dribbling shit and whinging earlier in the week about the mean media saying we are lowballing our players but they way the Dogs blew our laughable first offer out of the water this was entirely the case. Where is he now???
You’re assuming that MON makes the call on offers, opening bids and ceilings on players. Does he ? Or is it the retention committee?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You forgot Matterson. He’s gone from origin 18th man to…..oh wait. He’s also gone from rejecting his player option to putting himself on the open…..oh wait again. He was also a guaranteed selection in the team at business end of the season…..oh wait. What?
Are you talking about the guy who signed with us after a season where we ran last? Anyone who signed then is here for the money. That includes Paulo.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You’re assuming that MON makes the call on offers, opening bids and ceilings on players. Does he ? Or is it the retention committee?
I'm not assuming anything, i asked where the hell are the Chairman and CEO. Fair questions after the pummelling the club has copped the last couple of weeks. Pushing the coach out there is plain wrong, it's not his job description and good on him for showing the stones our board and CEO clearly don't have.