What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Incorrect

Coach
You didn’t answer question. Who do the fans respect the most ?

You lot don’t know if you’re Arthur or Martha. One day it’s all the balled guy’s fault, today it’s the poor coach who has to front the media.

Right now we have a think tank of O’Neill, BA, Carr, Murphy, Kidwell, McGregor, Woolford, Grima all of whom have tremendous expertise from either playing or coaching at the top level. BA no doubt feels the buck stops with him, but today you want McElDuff’s head on a platter.

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF
Another rubbish post, complemented this time with obligatory lame gif....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't feel like 650k is overs for a top 4 hooker
It could be if all the other hookers just aren't worth that much. My own opinion is that $650k is about the extreme upper limit of what Mahoney is worth, but none of us know how much either club's final offer for the player was. What if the Dogs offered $700k or even $750k?

Johnny88

Juniors
ENNIS McGREGOR ON DECK AT EELS
IT wasn’t all bleak news for Parramatta Eels last week.
A couple of handy coaches turned up for their first training session at the club to support Brad Arthur – Michael Ennis and Paul McGregor.
They are part of a new-look coaching staff at Parramatta following the departure of Andrew Johns to Newcastle Knights.

b09138173ec3d167b74e4c643cb3842806046b69.jpg
New Eels assistant coach Michael Ennis at Parramatta training

85b986ccecfddf2b8390ce0fce7ac28d17a35ec7.jpg
New Eels assistant coach Paul McGregor at Parramatta training

SHOOSH
The Eels knew they were up against it to keep Reed Mahoney once he was spotted two weeks ago with Bulldogs powerbrokers. His manager Sam Ayoub is close to Canterbury chairman John Khoury and football boss Gus Gould. They all go back a long way. Having said that, Ayoub is renowned for tough negotiating skills and looks after his players.

hindy111

Post Whore
How pathetic is the media racing to Ray Price and Kenny everything our club does something negative o ky for them to bag us out.
Great players sure. But I was not even at school when they played. Unfortunately my view on these Eels legends seems to be a few old grumpy men who's lives didn't reach new heights after rugby league careers where finished and are bitter.

Sterling I have so much respect for. He might be critical towards the club but the guy had a career after footy. One may say an even better career.

I'm f**king sick of Price and Kenny constantly bagging our club.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Wait a minute, so $650 a year is a stupid offer???
It's close, but I also don't believe that was the Bulldogs' final offer. That could have been their starting offer ffs, and we might've matched it. Then their final offer blew us out of the water.

That's what I think is most likely, based on the recent performances and behaviour of the two clubs.
You certainly do like to change your story midway through to align yourself with whatever decision the club makes.
Only if you think I share your untested assumption that the Bulldogs' final offer was $650k, and that ours was less than that.

Happy MEel

First Grade
It could be if all the other hookers just aren't worth that much. My own opinion is that $650k is about the extreme upper limit of what Mahoney is worth, but none of us know how much either club's final offer for the player was. What if the Dogs offered $700k or even $750k?
Well then it’s a figure that you would have stretched to 2 weeks ago…and only slight overs.
D52E7A3F-96BE-4A5B-B875-CAEBC1BCD7EA.jpegWe actually agree on this, I think that’s his worth in this market. But you can’t now claim that the dogs are his Alan Bond.

Stevie

Bench
On a positive note (and I’ve tipped a few in today) I am going to make a crystal ball call here.

Our two superstars next year…
Sivo (will come back as a superstar)
Will Penisi. (Big call, will be talked about for Origin).

JokerEel

First Grade
ENNIS McGREGOR ON DECK AT EELS
IT wasn’t all bleak news for Parramatta Eels last week.
A couple of handy coaches turned up for their first training session at the club to support Brad Arthur – Michael Ennis and Paul McGregor.
They are part of a new-look coaching staff at Parramatta following the departure of Andrew Johns to Newcastle Knights.

b09138173ec3d167b74e4c643cb3842806046b69.jpg
New Eels assistant coach Michael Ennis at Parramatta training

85b986ccecfddf2b8390ce0fce7ac28d17a35ec7.jpg
New Eels assistant coach Paul McGregor at Parramatta training

SHOOSH
The Eels knew they were up against it to keep Reed Mahoney once he was spotted two weeks ago with Bulldogs powerbrokers. His manager Sam Ayoub is close to Canterbury chairman John Khoury and football boss Gus Gould. They all go back a long way. Having said that, Ayoub is renowned for tough negotiating skills and looks after his players.

I like the Last line about Ayoub looks after his players ..

Turns fans against his players..

Also gets Reed to sign a 4 year deal at 600k.. For the dogs yep looks after them and Thier career..

Happy MEel

First Grade
It's close, but I also don't believe that was the Bulldogs' final offer. That could have been their starting offer ffs, and we might've matched it. Then their final offer blew us out of the water.

That's what I think is most likely, based on the recent performances and behaviour of the two clubs.
You don’t believe it because it doesn’t fit your narrative. What I think is more likely is what was reported in the media. We thought we had him locked up around the $500-$550k mark, only for the dogs to offer him at least $100k a year more. We thought we’d play the loyalty card and stupidly valued him less than that…so he walked.

Gazzamatta

Coach
You didn’t answer question. Who do the fans respect the most ?

You lot don’t know if you’re Arthur or Martha. One day it’s all the balled guy’s fault, today it’s the poor coach who has to front the media.

Right now we have a think tank of O’Neill, BA, Carr, Murphy, Kidwell, McGregor, Woolford, Grima all of whom have tremendous expertise from either playing or coaching at the top level. BA no doubt feels the buck stops with him, but today you want McElDuff’s head on a platter.

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF
*Ennis

hindy111

Post Whore
The Dogs would have lined up some TPAs for him. My guess is 650k plus 100k.
Maybe we didn't go pass 550k and a 40k TPA.

hindy111

Post Whore
You don’t believe it because it doesn’t fit your narrative. What I think is more likely is what was reported in the media. We thought we had him locked up around the $500-$550k mark, only for the dogs to offer him at least $100k a year more. We thought we’d play the loyalty card and stupidly valued him less than that…so he walked.

Do you think that's how negotiating happens? Like a closed bidding.
I doubt it. I'd say the club would of been informed this is what you need to have him sign. At which point they'd say no we are out. They also would of been told what the Dogs have offered him and what Rheed would want to stay.

If Dogs did say 650k then Ayoub would inform Eels this is the offer. Rheeds preference is to stay but you need to be close.
If Parra said ok we will go 620k and Rheed was happy then Ayoub would then go back to the Dogs and say listen, he will stay at Eels. They've offered 620k. Unless your atleast 50k more he won't leave.
At some point Parra would of said nah that's final. Let him go.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Do you think that's how negotiating happens? Like a closed bidding.
I doubt it. I'd say the club would of been informed this is what you need to have him sign. At which point they'd say no we are out. They also would of been told what the Dogs have offered him and what Rheed would want to stay.

If Dogs did say 650k then Ayoub would inform Eels this is the offer. Rheeds preference is to stay but you need to be close.
If Parra said ok we will go 620k and Rheed was happy then Ayoub would then go back to the Dogs and say listen, he will stay at Eels. They've offered 620k. Unless your atleast 50k more he won't leave.
At some point Parra would of said nah that's final. Let him go.
Of course that’s how it happens. But the Bulldogs have a max as well. I’m not saying we should have paid stupid money but the figures we’re talking about aren’t wildly excessive. It would seem we undervalued him by placing our cap lower than it should have been and relied
On loyalty to get it across the line.

Delboy

First Grade
The Dogs would have lined up some TPAs for him. My guess is 650k plus 100k.
Maybe we didn't go pass 550k and a 40k TPA.
Don’t know who you know, but believe those figures are basically correct. Understand Reed was staying until the final $100 k was added, doesn’t help that Ayoub is friends with Gus and doesn’t get on with MON.

eels_fan

First Grade
It shits me that it’s once again BA who is thrown in front of the media. I don’t disagree with anything he said, but it should be our invisible CEO out there.

plenty here dislike BA, but you can’t question the fact the bloke bleeds for our club. He holds the place together and carries it on his back. I have no doubt he’d have been keen to offer Mahoney whatever he wanted to keep him, yet he’ll defend the clubs decisions til the cows come home.

Last edited:

Latest posts