What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Anyone seen the size of Moga?
Hell the guy may cause some havoc running off hunt as an edge backrower. Surely his days as a back are numbered not only his lack of pace but a bit slow between the ears which may suit him being told just follow Hunt

Crush

Coach
I’d be really happy if we started the season with a spine of Sloan, Bird, Hunt, McCulloch. Give this spine every opportunity to succeed and tell Ramsay, Amone, Sullivan that if their form in reserve grade is strong enough, they will break into the NRL team.
Give Bird a license to run, let Hunt be the general. With guys like Su’a, Suli, Lomax in the team out wider, that’s a lot of attacking power, the likes we have not seen in years.

BBTB

Juniors
Totally agree mate...Yeah his missed tackle and error count were high this year, but i think this could have to do with him missing so much football...He's a better defender than he showed this year.

I'm a huge fan of his and always have been, even when he was with us as junior. I think you'd go long way before you found a more wholehearted and enthusiastic player when he is on the field. He lifts the players around him and would be a player who others would follow. I think he'd make a great captain.

I think people wanting to knock him should remember that he spent more time on the field this year than any other player, he led the run count 309 (50 more than anyone else), he led the run meters (2365), he led the tackle busts with 73 ( over 20 more than anyone else) and he led the offloads.

In my opinion he is a quality player, and i think he will be heavily involved in a lot of our set plays and our attacking structure next year. For mine the more time he spends on the field for us next year, the better we will perform.

But like i said, i am biased...

Expecting big things from Bird next season,training apparently in lock position.
DeBelin training in the front row.....💪💪🍀

Totally agree mate...Yeah his missed tackle and error count were high this year, but i think this could have to do with him missing so much football...He's a better defender than he showed this year.

I'm a huge fan of his and always have been, even when he was with us as junior. I think you'd go long way before you found a more wholehearted and enthusiastic player when he is on the field. He lifts the players around him and would be a player who others would follow. I think he'd make a great captain.

I think people wanting to knock him should remember that he spent more time on the field this year than any other player, he led the run count 309 (50 more than anyone else), he led the run meters (2365), he led the tackle busts with 73 ( over 20 more than anyone else) and he led the offloads.

In my opinion he is a quality player, and i think he will be heavily involved in a lot of our set plays and our attacking structure next year. For mine the more time he spends on the field for us next year, the better we will perform.

Hmm, those stats are open for interpretation. Norman, Dufty and Kerr also look very good for most of those stats.

Gareth67

First Grade
Really don’t like the idea of De Belin in the front row , more so with so many props being recruited in the off season .

He is far more effective in the lower stalls of the pack , particularly at lock . Why Bird is going there has me scratching my head , then again I am no coach , but if I was I would be placing square pegs into square holes and
round pegs into round holes .

Griffin now has an abundance of good quality forwards , I just hope he does not ruin what he has by placing key players out of position for the sake of experimentation .

BBTB

Juniors
Really don’t like the idea of De Belin in the front row , more so with so many props being recruited in the off season .

He is far more effective in the lower stalls of the pack , particularly at lock . Why Bird is going there has me scratching my head , then again I am no coach , but if I was I would be placing square pegs into square holes and

Griffin now has an abundance of good quality forwards , I just hope he does not ruin what he has by placing key players out of position for the sake of experimentation .
Well DeBelin is a centre forward which means he plays in the middle with the
Two props.So I guess, defensively the coach still has his best defensive middle forward on the park.

Dragon David

First Grade

As there are horses for courses, so too are there players to be put in their right positions. Hook made too many mistakes last season by not putting players in their right positions, although I must say he didn't really have much choice once all the suspensions hit us after the bbq fiasco.

To me, DeBelin should not be in the front row. Hook needed to put him in that position in several games last season because of the loss of forwards serving their suspension.

Now that we have more than enough front rowers just use them and keep DeBelin at lock as that imo is his best position and will be much better next year. Yes, give Bird a go at lock and 5/8th in the trials and see how he goes, but I hope Hook doesn't think that he has got to use Bird and favour him. It is really hard to see where Bird should be in the first 17. Maybe a bench spot, with Mbye and two other forwards.

The Word

Juniors

With you on this one be55. There's been quite a lot of chat about Bird being a poor defender.

I tend to disagree with this. Statistics don't tell the full story. If a pack is getting physically dominated (as ours was for the bulk of the season), and the opposition forwards are busting through the edges, the Centre will sometimes have to come in and tackle the big boys one on one and it often doesn't go well for them. The ones with the bad stats are sometimes the blokes that make it their business to do everything in their power to get there and attempt the tackle, even if it's a lost cause. That's what Bird does and I think it contributes to some of the missed tackles numbers.

I'm interested to see how he goes in the back row / lock positions. At 96 kg he's small for a forward. If he gets isolated in the tackle he's going to struggle. If our forwards gel like I think they might, then as long as he holds his man up long enough for the next bloke to get there that should be ok. I'm guessing he will be there for his ability with the football in attack, so I would think he would be best used off the bench when some of the big fellas are getting a bit tired.

So many interesting possibilities this year with the squad Griffin's put together. I'm sure the young blokes will have a decent run this year. I actually think they will mature and come into their own in 2023. I hope we make the 8 and Griffin gets a chance to coach them then.

Also just putting it out there that I hope Griffin finds a spot for Fui in the 17. I know he made some tackle mistakes last year but the rule interpretation changed a couple of times and didn't do him any favours. He's a year older and will have learned from that experience, and no one hits as hard as him.

possm

Coach
Agree with most of your changes. Barring a miracle, I think Sims days as an edge forward are over and he'll be lucky to crack a spot anywhere in the team. If Burns can replicate the form he showed in the last few games of last season, he could be the edge smoky for 2022. I''m a fan of Lawrie for his aggression (within the rules) and work rate and I'd always pick him ahead of McGuire- when he finally gets on the field.
Well, I have a feeling that the Dolphins are Sims's target for 2023. Maybe Bennett will help him transform into a prop on a two-year deal.

Having said that, this is why I believe Sims will have a big year in 2022.

Gareth67

First Grade
Well I will bite the bullet , my 1st string pack would be . . .

Molo
McCulloch
Burgess
S’ua
Simms
JDB

Woods , McGuire , Lawrie,
Kerr .

I would be alternating Molo between prop and 2nd row with Simms moving to the bench . To me Molo is the more damaging of the two , therefore bringing in McGuire as prop .

That is a far more balanced pack that have the back three who enjoy the defensive work and the two bookends being tough as teak .

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A lot of interesting chat from you guys about positions and players, and may i add no-one is wrong with their selections atm.
So, in saying that, I can see a team, based on recruitment that could look something like:
1. Sloan or Ramsey
2. Moga
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Rava
6. Amone
7. Hunt

A fully fit and injury free Moga, playing wing or centre, at 194cm and 109kg, would cause some serious damage, (and yes, he's played wing before) espcially mixed with Suli, 189cm and 109kg. Thats on one side. On the other, Lomax with Rava.
Young Sloan (my preferred fb) with his speed and try sniffing sense would be leading try scorer hanging off these 4 above.

No mail or anything on this but just throwing another possibility around.

DamoV

Juniors
A lot of interesting chat from you guys about positions and players, and may i add no-one is wrong with their selections atm.
So, in saying that, I can see a team, based on recruitment that could look something like:
1. Sloan or Ramsey
2. Moga
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Rava
6. Amone
7. Hunt

A fully fit and injury free Moga, playing wing or centre, at 194cm and 109kg, would cause some serious damage, (and yes, he's played wing before) espcially mixed with Suli, 189cm and 109kg. Thats on one side. On the other, Lomax with Rava.
Young Sloan (my preferred fb) with his speed and try sniffing sense would be leading try scorer hanging off these 4 above.

To me it doesn’t make sense to have so much bulk in the backline. We need to balance bulk with speed. Having Suli and Moga could be a liability. Big centres need speed on their outside. Plus with the changes to the game and more tiring defences, speedy outside backs around the middle of the park are gold.

In saying that Rava is a must. So to me Ramsay or Matt F should definitely be on the other Wong.

slippery5

Juniors
There are very few players where the ball runner searches to find you in defence, so he can run the other way, like JDB does while defending in the centre.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Well, I have a feeling that the Dolphins are Sims's target for 2023. Maybe Bennett will help him transform into a prop on a two-year deal.

Having said that, this is why I believe Sims will have a big year in 2022.
Well the Dolphins have missed out on just about everybody else ( except Kaufusi who wouldn't be in the top 7 players at the Storm and imo has more than a bit of grubbiness in his play.). They may be desperate enough to take Sims on.

hewi

Bench
I think at the end of next year the Dolphins will be into our forward stocks. We have great depth and some will lose patience plus the money and go.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
More than likely about easing them into the Top grade....they will get their chance....personally I would start with 1 Sloan ( turns 20 next year ) 6 Armone ( Turns 20 next Year ) or Sullivan..people forget how young these guys are .....but what would I know.
Against that GS is the "if they're good enough, they're old enough argument". Nathan Cleary debuted at 19 and scored 200 points in a season. He's exceptional I grant you but maybe our juniors are too?

mickeylane

Bench
1. Sloan or Ramsey
2. Moga
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Rava
6. Amone
7. Hunt

The backline will be close to this but I think Feagai or Ramsay will start on one wing spot - ill add the forward pack and reserves I think will trot out to compliment the backs....basically a new forward pack except for 2
JDB
Bird
Sua
Woods
McCullch
Molo

Mbye
Burgess
Sims
Lawrie or Mcguire or Kerr

I would like to see Hunt shifted to 9 at around the 30-minute mark to speed up the ruck and sharpen up the kicking game out of dummy half and target the odd 40/20...move Mbye to 7 ...this would work well if Griffo is willing to risk...just look at how Harry Grant transformed Storm when he came on...everything went up a gear...

Latest posts