What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

The_Frog

First Grade
No needs a few years out of the spot light
Except for on here, he's been forgotten already. Rugby League media in this land has the attention span of a gnat.

Of 604 players to play first grade in Penrith colours, he is one of only 49 to have played in a winning grand final. The club needs to acknowledge that fact, and I'm sure they will in good time. Some of the other 48 were not entirely exemplary in their conduct, no names mind you.

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
The Sydney Roosters are expected to announce the signing of Melbourne Storm dummy-half Brandon Smith imminently.

Smith, 25, has come under fire for his recent comments in an interview where he praised the Roosters after meeting with them to discuss his future.

While he’s currently contracted to the Storm until the end of 2022, Melbourne released a statement on Tuesday confirming the Kiwi international had informed them that next season would be his last in purple.

With the Roosters move all but certain, The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio says he’d consider letting Smith walk a year early to “send a message”.

“The first port of call is Melbourne need to make a decision with what they do with Brandon Smith,” Riccio said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

“That’ll come over the next few days, look, if I’m Craig Bellamy and I want to send a message I let Brandon Smith go now.

“There’s a standard that needs to be set in the way that Brandon has explained himself, I’d let him go.”
With Smith set to join the tri-colours and take the starting hooker role, Riccio can’t see current Roosters number nine Sam Verrills staying put in Bondi.

“As a result of that, there’d be an immediate impact on the Roosters and obviously their cap,” Riccio said.

“I think Sam Verrills this year if not the following season will be the fall guy from this whole situation.

“I don’t think Sam Verrills will be at the Roosters beyond 2023, yes, it’s true that he’s contracted beyond that, but I believe he’ll be on the move as a result of the Smith signing.”

While Verrills is contracted until the end of the 2024 season, Riccio sees him moving on to one of the Eels, Panthers or Dolphins whenever it’s decided that Smith will join the club.

“I don’t think they (Smith and Verrills) can be under the cap together. That’s where the Parramatta Eels, the Dolphins and the Penrith Panthers because Api Koroisau will be on the move. He won’t be at the Panthers beyond next season,” Riccio said.

Iamback

Coach
Except for on here, he's been forgotten already. Rugby League media in this land has the attention span of a gnat.

Of 604 players to play first grade in Penrith colours, he is one of only 49 to have played in a winning grand final. The club needs to acknowledge that fact, and I'm sure they will in good time. Some of the other 48 were not entirely exemplary in their conduct, no names mind you.

Again though. Time will heal all. The focus now is on 2022 and getting the players focused

Panther Mick

Juniors
I’m very puzzled by this strategy surrounding hooker, it’s such an important position. I think we could’ve easily snared Mahoney, now it looks like we’re also letting Api walk. Unfortunately I can see the team taking a step back into the pack in 2023. I’m confident we still have a very good shot next year, though.

Something not right there. Either losing Api to a higher offer or there is more going on behind the scenes, other than him not getting the vax. Most of our recruitment and retention has been ok.

The club has denied it but I wouldn't be surprised if they had a late play at Smith. Maybe they know Api is going and had a late inquiry?

murraymob

First Grade
Unsure how true this is but I heard the eels have been working very hard to create a larger junior base and as of now are larger then Penrith.

I am interested to see who plays more games for NSW Critchton or Penisini. The Penis looks a gem
Not sure what you mean larger base.i have been told from u13 up you have a merged competition with the bulldogs .both clubs keep there players in there junior rep teams

The_Frog

First Grade
Most likely but you do not know. I agree however.
I think Burton's a better talent the Luai.
People who should know thought otherwise. With back to back GF's, a premiership and Luai's performance in Origin, you can hardly argue with them. Burton found his feet as a centre and looks destined for the back row. Clearly an exceptional talent in his own right and damn shame we couldn't keep him.

Blade23

Juniors
I’m very puzzled by this strategy surrounding hooker, it’s such an important position. I think we could’ve easily snared Mahoney, now it looks like we’re also letting Api walk. Unfortunately I can see the team taking a step back into the pack in 2023. I’m confident we still have a very good shot next year, though.

Maybe @hindy111 knows more? But my understanding was. It was either stay at Parramatta or take up the large Dogs deal. Other clubs were blown away by the Dogs offer and didn't get up to the plate.

Latest posts