What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
He was underpaid with us.

$650k is not overs for a guy who has won 2x premierships at 9 and was currently one of the best if not THE best players in the most important position on the field.

That's just absurd. His age is being blown out of proportion too. He was currently the best hooker in the game in career best form. He would be 33 at the END of his contract and hasn't had a career full of injuries or anything to increase chances he can't maintain his form.

If we applied this thinking to other players Isaah Yeo only has 2 or 3 more seasons left before we can toss him on the scrap heap

$650k for a guy that can't play in

QLD x 4 teams
NZ
Melbourne
Magic Round is in QLD too

potentially finals games.

As for his being overstated. He missed plenty of games already through injury that isn't going to improve with time.

DinkyDi

Juniors
Makes you wonder what happened last Wednesday at the meeting. If the rumours are true about the board telling Api he will be fined for the games he misses, how would you feel about your employer? The NRL was already going to compensate for clubs with unvax players
He is the only player at the club who is unvaccinated. I am pleased the club has taken a stance.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I have no sympathy for him or any anti-vaxer. It should be “no jab, no play”.

The AFL have already mandated the Covid-19 vax for their players and the NRL should be no different.

Kudos to the Bulldogs for mandating the jab for their players
AFL is a white man's game. We have a huge Polynesian player base and we needed to be far more careful

Girds89

Bench
[/QUOTE
What many people seem to be missing is just how much difficulty we have had finding quality players in these positions. Especially centres and hooker.

I can see reason to be hopeful of a strong 2022 season. But the 2023 season however has a lot of holes to try filling from our premiership side.

1. Edwards
2. To'o
3. Crichton
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. JFH
10. Leota
11. Martin
13. Yeo

15. Scott Sorensen
16. Spencer Leniu

Crichton moves to centre. Meaning we have to fill a wing and centre position. Staines is an option for one, but most people here think he's shit now. Not me personally, but if the haters are correct he's just another issue rather than a solution. Tiny May is another option... but he is an anti vaxer and makes it look like Tyrone was the smart one from that family. I think he's an issue, not a solution. Tago is a centre option... but many people are quick to point out he has barely played centre. So maybe he's a second row option... except many have pointed out he is very small for a second rower. I think he's too small for second row and hope he's a centre first up. But he could absolutely be a flop for all we know.,

Those positions from what we have are far from solved. There's possible solutions but even our own fan base are split on them all as to whether they can deliver for different reasons. Tago/Staines is IMO our best bet. But it's far from a certainty.

Hooker? Well this is the one I have no faith in us filling from within. Zero. I don't care how much talent it looks like our guys have. We have had so many guys that looked like future super stars at hooker flop spectacularly. Masada Iosefa (RIP) was looking like he had the makings of an elite hooker. Never kicked on. Wayde Egan looked like he was a future Cameron Smith, but he never really kicked on either. Sione Katoa... well I never thought he was a star as such but still looked like a promising candidate early on. But again. We just couldn't take an above average reserve grader and make a good first grader.

Hookers can make an entire team look better and a poor one can be such a handbrake the entire team can look worse. They improve the forward packs, they make the halves jobs easier. They do so much work that is crucial to how teams play. Equally as important, possibly moreso than a good #7.

Second row I think we can comfortably make solid first graders. But finding someone who offers what we lost will again be tough. Viliame Kikau is an absolute beast and he made the job of those around him easier whether he was playing well or not. He scared defensive lines and they didn't want to take their focus off him. Capewell we can probably find someone to replace, but doing so at the quality he delivered will be tough.

I think we will go from premiers, to fringe top 4 in 2022 to 6th to 8th in 2023. With Kiks and Api we are still a top 4 team if we stay healthy in 2022. But in 2023 I think we are back to the middle of the table. Even with the best halfback in the game.
[/QUOTE]

I agree, weve struggled with hooker development for a long time.

I never rated Egan, not sure anyone thought he was going to be half as good as cameron smith. I never thought he was even fg standard. I still think hes average.

Masada, joel romelo, soni luke etc are all blokes thats didnt kick on. Masada and romelo in particular were junior stars and just so many levels above in the juniors that they really were dissapointing in the top grade.

But i think you forget the club has massivley fixed up the development and pathway programs since masada and co came through. The systems in place now are way way better than 7 to 10 years+ ago.

In some ways i think both masada and romelo possibly let themselves down. They were so good in the juniora that when they hit the top grade it didnt look like theyd put in the hard yards enough to be there and had just coasted through on there abilities.

That sort of poor development seems to have stopped now and thats largely down to the restructuring from gus and the academy etc..

Missing out on api and kiks gives us a bit of coin to bring in an established player and probably lock up the really promosing juniors moving forward..

2023-2024 might look something like-

1. Edwards/ Staines
2. Too
3. Critta
4. Turuva/Jenkins
5. Tiny
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. Jfh
9. Riley
10. Leota
11. Geyer
12. Martin
13. Yeo

14. Niwhai Puru
15. Lenui
16. Lindsay smith
17. Hopgood

And if that is the team in 23/24 youd have to think thered be a bit of cap space for another marque player..possibly a centre and hooker and smith to play off the bench..

Im pretty confident in the development of the players moving forward that we should be fine.

Yes api and kiks is a loss but i think we are in a strong enough position to manage that.

The puru brothers
Geyer
Turuva
Riley smith

Are all players with a heap of talent that havent played fg yet but im sure will be thereabouts in 12 to 18 months.

DinkyDi

Juniors
[/QUOTE
What many people seem to be missing is just how much difficulty we have had finding quality players in these positions. Especially centres and hooker.

I can see reason to be hopeful of a strong 2022 season. But the 2023 season however has a lot of holes to try filling from our premiership side.

1. Edwards
2. To'o
3. Crichton
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. JFH
10. Leota
11. Martin
13. Yeo

15. Scott Sorensen
16. Spencer Leniu

Crichton moves to centre. Meaning we have to fill a wing and centre position. Staines is an option for one, but most people here think he's shit now. Not me personally, but if the haters are correct he's just another issue rather than a solution. Tiny May is another option... but he is an anti vaxer and makes it look like Tyrone was the smart one from that family. I think he's an issue, not a solution. Tago is a centre option... but many people are quick to point out he has barely played centre. So maybe he's a second row option... except many have pointed out he is very small for a second rower. I think he's too small for second row and hope he's a centre first up. But he could absolutely be a flop for all we know.,

Those positions from what we have are far from solved. There's possible solutions but even our own fan base are split on them all as to whether they can deliver for different reasons. Tago/Staines is IMO our best bet. But it's far from a certainty.

Hooker? Well this is the one I have no faith in us filling from within. Zero. I don't care how much talent it looks like our guys have. We have had so many guys that looked like future super stars at hooker flop spectacularly. Masada Iosefa (RIP) was looking like he had the makings of an elite hooker. Never kicked on. Wayde Egan looked like he was a future Cameron Smith, but he never really kicked on either. Sione Katoa... well I never thought he was a star as such but still looked like a promising candidate early on. But again. We just couldn't take an above average reserve grader and make a good first grader.

Hookers can make an entire team look better and a poor one can be such a handbrake the entire team can look worse. They improve the forward packs, they make the halves jobs easier. They do so much work that is crucial to how teams play. Equally as important, possibly moreso than a good #7.

Second row I think we can comfortably make solid first graders. But finding someone who offers what we lost will again be tough. Viliame Kikau is an absolute beast and he made the job of those around him easier whether he was playing well or not. He scared defensive lines and they didn't want to take their focus off him. Capewell we can probably find someone to replace, but doing so at the quality he delivered will be tough.

I think we will go from premiers, to fringe top 4 in 2022 to 6th to 8th in 2023. With Kiks and Api we are still a top 4 team if we stay healthy in 2022. But in 2023 I think we are back to the middle of the table. Even with the best halfback in the game.

I never rated Egan, not sure anyone thought he was going to be half as good as cameron smith. I never thought he was even fg standard. I still think hes average.

Masada, joel romelo, soni luke etc are all blokes thats didnt kick on. Masada and romelo in particular were junior stars and just so many levels above in the juniors that they really were dissapointing in the top grade.

But i think you forget the club has massivley fixed up the development and pathway programs since masada and co came through. The systems in place now are way way better than 7 to 10 years+ ago.

In some ways i think both masada and romelo possibly let themselves down. They were so good in the juniora that when they hit the top grade it didnt look like theyd put in the hard yards enough to be there and had just coasted through on there abilities.

That sort of poor development seems to have stopped now and thats largely down to the restructuring from gus and the academy etc..

Missing out on api and kiks gives us a bit of coin to bring in an established player and probably lock up the really promosing juniors moving forward..

1. Edwards/ Staines
2. Too
3. Critta
4. Turuva/Jenkins
5. Tiny
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. Jfh
9. Riley
10. Leota
11. Geyer
12. Martin
13. Yeo

14. Niwhai Puru
15. Lenui
16. Lindsay smith
17. Hopgood

And if that is the team in 23/24 youd have to think thered be a bit of cap space for another marque player..possibly a centre and hooker and smith to play off the bench..

Im pretty confident in the development of the players moving forward that we should be fine.

Yes api and kiks is a loss but i think we are in a strong enough position to manage that.

The puru brothers
Geyer
Turuva
Riley smith

Are all players with a heap of talent that havent played fg yet but im sure will be thereabouts in 12 to 18 months.
[/QUOTE]

Tiny is fully vaccinated.

Iamback

Coach
He was underpaid with us.

$650k is not overs for a guy who has won 2x premierships at 9 and was currently one of the best if not THE best players in the most important position on the field.

That's just absurd. His age is being blown out of proportion too. He was currently the best hooker in the game in career best form. He would be 33 at the END of his contract and hasn't had a career full of injuries or anything to increase chances he can't maintain his form.

If we applied this thinking to other players Isaah Yeo only has 2 or 3 more seasons left before we can toss him on the scrap heap

$650k for a guy that can't play in

QLD x 4 teams
NZ
Melbourne
Magic Round is in QLD too

potentially finals games.

As for his being overstated. He missed plenty of games already through injury that isn't going to improve with time.
[/QUOTE

1. Edwards
2. To'o
3. Crichton
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. JFH
10. Leota
11. Martin
13. Yeo

15. Scott Sorensen
16. Spencer Leniu

1. Edwards/ Staines
2. Too
3. Critta
4. Turuva/Jenkins
5. Tiny
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. Jfh
9. Riley
10. Leota
11. Geyer
12. Martin
13. Yeo

14. Niwhai Puru
15. Lenui
16. Lindsay smith
17. Hopgood

The puru brothers
Geyer
Turuva
Riley smith

[/QUOTE]

I think you still get afew established guys. But can get mid price guys and upgrade some rookies

The big problem here is we seemingly put all our eggs in the Api basket. I totally understand peoples concerns about re-signing an ageing hooker on big money, but was there any attempt to sign Reed Mahoney at all? It doesn’t appear so.

I don’t care how good Nathan Cleary is, you need a high quality hooker to compete for the title. In fact I’d argue it’s likely we’ll be wasting some years of Nathan Cleary’s peak without a good hooker.

Iamback

Coach
The big problem here is we seemingly put all our eggs in the Api basket. I totally understand peoples concerns about re-signing an ageing hooker on big money, but was there any attempt to sign Reed Mahoney at all? It doesn’t appear so.

I don’t care how good Nathan Cleary is, you need a high quality hooker to compete for the title. In fact I’d argue it’s likely we’ll be wasting some years of Nathan Cleary’s peak without a good hooker.

comes down to price point. If Parra couldn't match the Dogs. No chance we do

1. Edwards/ Staines
2. Too
3. Critta
4. Turuva/Jenkins
5. Tiny
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. Jfh
9. Riley
10. Leota
11. Geyer
12. Martin
13. Yeo

14. Niwhai Puru
15. Lenui
16. Lindsay smith
17. Hopgood

The puru brothers
Geyer
Turuva
Riley smith

[/QUOTE]

Very few spine players hit the ground running in first grade, you’re looking at 2-3 years for them to really find their feet. It’s a lot of responsibility being a ball handler, and it takes time to learn the ins and outs. So even if Riley Smith is the second coming of Cameron Smith, it’ll take time.

Smug Panther

First Grade

You get it. Api should have been extended halfway through 2020. Cash should have been available because letting Kikau go was a no brainer

Iamback

Coach
The contract is said to be worth $650k, we easily have that money. And I’d argue we likely wouldn’t even have to match it. Probably 600k gets it done.

If it was that price. Parra would of matched it

Even still Verrills or even Simpkins for cheaper still has us in top 4

If the plan was to go with Kenny instead then it is poor. If to recruit someone younger that is vaxxed then not so bad

Girds89

Bench
I think the need to buy established players is decreasing less and less every year..

Blokes like, yeo, cleary, leota, fish are all over 100 games with some close to 150 and yeo will be at 200 by mid 23.

Luai, edwards, martin will all be at 100 or close to by 23.

Too and critta will be close to the 80s by 23.

Players like spencer, tago, hopefully will get kost of this season in the top grade and by 23 will all have a full year under there belt.

Cleary, yeo, martin, too, fish, luai all already have rep experiencw and id say there will be more to follow in the coming years..

We are young but we arent a team full of rookies anymore.

Throw in someone like sorensen whose an older head and maybe one other older recruit with a good level head i think theres definitley enough big game experience in the squad to manage the rookies coming through.

If we have a mil or so to play with in 23 go after a few boom rookies, one marque established centre maybe and use the rest to look up our own. Blokes like tago and co will no doubt need upgrades in the coming years.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I think the need to buy established players is decreasing less and less every year..

Blokes like, yeo, cleary, leota, fish are all over 100 games with some close to 150 and yeo will be at 200 by mid 23.

Luai, edwards, martin will all be at 100 or close to by 23.

Too and critta will be close to the 80s by 23.

Players like spencer, tago, hopefully will get kost of this season in the top grade and by 23 will all have a full year under there belt.

Cleary, yeo, martin, too, fish, luai all already have rep experiencw and id say there will be more to follow in the coming years..

We are young but we arent a team full of rookies anymore.

Throw in someone like sorensen whose an older head and maybe one other older recruit with a good level head i think theres definitley enough big game experience in the squad to manage the rookies coming through.

If we have a mil or so to play with in 23 go after a few boom rookies, one marque established centre maybe and use the rest to look up our own. Blokes like tago and co will no doubt need upgrades in the coming years.
All for nothing without a quality 9

Iamback

Coach
You get it. Api should have been extended halfway through 2020. Cash should have been available because letting Kikau go was a no brainer

The same time he was suspended for covid breaches? He won't get vaxxed his value drops. Tigers took a gamble as they need to

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The retention committee had 3 target .so far two gone 1 left .there now no reason for Edwards to not be signed in the next few days
If they can’t do that then surely it’s time to change the members on the committee
Api signed for 650k a season that’s not overs for a origin hooker.kenny is not a 80 minute player.we need even a standard hooker to fill in or go into the market

Why then are a couple of news sites labelling it Huge money, near to a million a season then ?

I think you're low balling the figure probably 700-800,000

DinkyDi

Juniors

Very few spine players hit the ground running in first grade, you’re looking at 2-3 years for them to really find their feet. It’s a lot of responsibility being a ball handler, and it takes time to learn the ins and outs. So even if Riley Smith is the second coming of Cameron Smith, it’ll take time.
[/QUOTE]
Hum, I didn't mention Smith.

Latest posts