What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

I think the need to buy established players is decreasing less and less every year..

Blokes like, yeo, cleary, leota, fish are all over 100 games with some close to 150 and yeo will be at 200 by mid 23.

Luai, edwards, martin will all be at 100 or close to by 23.

Too and critta will be close to the 80s by 23.

Players like spencer, tago, hopefully will get kost of this season in the top grade and by 23 will all have a full year under there belt.

Cleary, yeo, martin, too, fish, luai all already have rep experiencw and id say there will be more to follow in the coming years..

We are young but we arent a team full of rookies anymore.

Throw in someone like sorensen whose an older head and maybe one other older recruit with a good level head i think theres definitley enough big game experience in the squad to manage the rookies coming through.

If we have a mil or so to play with in 23 go after a few boom rookies, one marque established centre maybe and use the rest to look up our own. Blokes like tago and co will no doubt need upgrades in the coming years.
While I’ll agree the need to buy established players from elsewhere is deceasing, when was the last time we successfully developed a decent number 9?

Tigerm

First Grade
I read somewhere, there is an option for a third year, and that option is in Api's favor.
The 29-year-old Koroisau — who is contracted with the Penrith Panthers for the 2022 campaign — has signed with Wests Tigers on a two-year deal with a mutual option for the third season.

I believe it was $650k per year (if option taken up) then contact value is $1.95m???

Last edited:
Imo Api was the best hooker in the game in 2020.
He was ok this year but not as good. Maybe on the way down who knows.
I agree with this. I think Smith, Rheed and Cook (towards the end of the year) we’re better than him. I think some like Verrells and Brailey will overtake him next year (if they both get time at their clubs).

Hi definitely isn’t Api level, but I liked the improvement we saw in Kenny this year. Not as crafty as Api, but there was more running in his game after he had a few solid weeks in a row in the starting side.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I agree with this. I think Smith, Rheed and Cook (towards the end of the year) we’re better than him. I think some like Verrells and Brailey will overtake him next year (if they both get time at their clubs).

Hi definitely isn’t Api level, but I liked the improvement we saw in Kenny this year. Not as crafty as Api, but there was more running in his game after he had a few solid weeks in a row in the starting side.

Kenny's defence is very solid. He also appears to be a hard worker too.

DinkyDi

Juniors
The 29-year-old Koroisau — who is contracted with the Penrith Panthers for the 2022 campaign — has signed with Wests Tigers on a two-year deal with a mutual option for the third season.

I believe it was $650k per year (if option taken up) then contact value is $1.95m???

Pascoe is ruining your club.

roofromoz

First Grade
Ryley Smith might also be ready for first grade come 2023. He looks very impressive in the footage I have seen (albeit as a junior).

If he decides to choose rugby league - has also represented Australia in cricket, and I think has already played for Penrith in Premier Cricket.

Smug Panther

First Grade
He'll be tricky to keep. He could walk away mid contract and play cricket at any moment. Penrith wouldn't be able to stop him

Girds89

Bench
Its one thing representing australia at cricket as a junior.

Another thing all together making the big leagues..

Every year there is a new set of kids playing in the u18s aus cricket team.

Yet to get into the proper aus team you have to force your way in past the likes of smith, warner marnus etc. And theres barely any injuries in cricket on comparison to the nrl where oppurtunities are greater.

Im sure hes a talented cricketer but imo you really have to be next level special to play for aus in cricket.

Cummins made his debut as a 19 year old if that puts things in perspective.

Riley has only just scored his first 100 for penrith and hes 18. Im sure hes a brilliant player.

All im saying is the likelyhood of playing nrl is much higher in comparison to test cricket for australia.

Would have to weigh on his mind.

I love both cricket and the panthers so if he can get to the top level in both its a win win. I just think cricket is much more difficult to reach the top.

- Koroisau will be a huge loss, anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves
- Hooker is arguably the most important position besides half back in the modern game. We can’t just replace a top 5 player in that position with an unproven 18 year old prospect
- Someone made a good point earlier about our history of overhyping junior hookers, Romelo, Iosefa etc. With this in mind I’m hesitant to buy into the Ryley Smith hype
- Mitch Kenny seems like a nice guy and a serviceable player but you don’t win comps with guys of his calibre at #9. Our premiership hookers have been elite: Simmons, Priddis, Koroisau
- We have Koroisau for next season, we’d be mad to release him early given his current contract is one of the best in the league
- Brandon Smith for 2022 would be a mistake. The Storm would want a decent player going back their way, better to just hold onto Koroisau
- A lot of talk about us getting Verrills or Simpkin but keep in mind the Dolphins, Eels, Broncos, Titans, Warriors, Sea Eagles etc would all also be in the race. Both players are also a class or two (or three in Simpkin’s case) below Koroisau

TLDR: Koroisau is a huge loss who is not easily replaced either internally or via recruitment. He’s contracted for 2022 so let’s get the most out of him while he’s still here.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
- Koroisau will be a huge loss, anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves
- Hooker is arguably the most important position besides half back in the modern game. We can’t just replace a top 5 player in that position with an unproven 18 year old prospect
- Someone made a good point earlier about our history of overhyping junior hookers, Romelo, Iosefa etc. With this in mind I’m hesitant to buy into the Ryley Smith hype
- Mitch Kenny seems like a nice guy and a serviceable player but you don’t win comps with guys of his calibre at #9. Our premiership hookers have been elite: Simmons, Priddis, Koroisau
- We have Koroisau for next season, we’d be mad to release him early given his current contract is one of the best in the league
- Brandon Smith for 2022 would be a mistake. The Storm would want a decent player going back their way, better to just hold onto Koroisau
- A lot of talk about us getting Verrills or Simpkin but keep in mind the Dolphins, Eels, Broncos, Titans, Warriors, Sea Eagles etc would all also be in the race. Both players are also a class or two (or three in Simpkin’s case) below Koroisau

TLDR: Koroisau is a huge loss who is not easily replaced either internally or via recruitment. He’s contracted for 2022 so let’s get the most out of him while he’s still here.
Yeah Api made all the difference to us once he joined back up with us. The past two years have easily been our best and we can thank Api for alot of that success! Wallace our last decent hooker and before that probably Kevin Kingston? Than Priddis? Segyaro could have been top tier but his off field stuff was messy.

To be honest and you'd never ever do it but IMO Nathan Cleary would be an amazing 9. Kid can tackle and pass plus kick, reminds me of Cameron Smith when he would slot into the halves! I think Cleary could slot in there and be super calm and really get the team going up field.

I think we should be investing cash into an older head hooker someone like the dragons 9 or Raiders 9.. I'd be trying to snag Ben Hunt and play him 9 if at cheap price. Can't win games with young kids in a key position with no big game experience.

DinkyDi

Juniors
Yeah Api made all the difference to us once he joined back up with us. The past two years have easily been our best and we can thank Api for alot of that success! Wallace our last decent hooker and before that probably Kevin Kingston? Than Priddis? Segyaro could have been top tier but his off field stuff was messy.

To be honest and you'd never ever do it but IMO Nathan Cleary would be an amazing 9. Kid can tackle and pass plus kick, reminds me of Cameron Smith when he would slot into the halves! I think Cleary could slot in there and be super calm and really get the team going up field.

I think we should be investing cash into an older head hooker someone like the dragons 9 or Raiders 9.. I'd be trying to snag Ben Hunt and play him 9 if at cheap price. Can't win games with young kids in a key position with no big game experience.
How can the players gain experience, if they are not playing?

Tigerm

First Grade
Pascoe is ruining your club.
Disagree, except for the NRL team, we have gone from strength to strength with him in charge, and I think he has now found the right bloke (Sheens) to run the footy department.

For us, it's only a matter of time.

DinkyDi

Juniors
Disagree, except for the NRL team, we have gone from strength to strength with him in charge, and I think he has now found the right bloke (Sheens) to run the footy department.

For us, it's only a matter of time.
Over paying for players, and having Luke Brooks on the books? Yep, okay.