What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Original Name

Juniors
I mean he was good enough to play for NSW while he was at the Broncos so I’d say that’s more than just solid and reliable. Granted, partnering Lockyer in the halves at club level definitely didn’t hurt.
NSW churned through halves at ridiculous degree. Pretty much every reasonably good half got a run.

The yak

Juniors
@Blade23 Hey when you said you're worried about a club coming in with a much bigger offer for Api do the Dolphins seem like the only current team with the cap space to do it? Eels barely offered Mahoney anything so I can only assume they don't have the money to outbid us. If Roosters grabs Smith that only leaves the Dolphins from what I can see.

Tigers it was.
Ivan said last night on the news it is the biggest money contract Api has ever signed. Set himself and his family up.
He signed for the Tigers for the money. The only reason anyone would go there.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
Mitch Kenny seems like a nice guy and a serviceable player but you don’t win comps with guys of his calibre at #9. Our premiership hookers have been elite: Simmons, Priddis, Koroisau
Mitch Kenny turns 24 next month and has played 36 first grade games in a squad that has reached 2 grand finals. By the time he turned 24, Damien Cook had played 6 games. It's too early to write Kenny off just yet.

kinghippo

Juniors
Kodi nikorima as i said a page or 2 back is one we should see if we can pick up on a one year deal.

Has plenty of experience including 15 tests for nz. Will be 28 in 23 so not past it.

Offer him a one year deal with option of 2 in clubs favour.

I think hed be great a 9. Strong runner and good kicking amd passing game. Has played there alot before. Hed probs have to add a few kgs to defend in the pack full time.

Hed be an ideal pick up at the right price just for a season or two so riley smith isnt rushed.

If we cant get him try chanel tevita harris. Similar abilities.. hasnt really played hooker like nikorima though he is very skillex
Tevita Harris would be my pick. He has shown some toughness in defence that I liked, he could fill a lot of positions, even with O’Sullivan we could use some extra depth in the halves

Smug Panther

First Grade
Mitch Kenny turns 24 next month and has played 36 first grade games in a squad that has reached 2 grand finals. By the time he turned 24, Damien Cook had played 6 games. It's too early to write Kenny off just yet.
He's not a hooker. He's a forward who didn't grow big enough so we made it work but he'll never have the game to be a first choice 9

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Tigers it was.
Ivan said last night on the news it is the biggest money contact Api has ever signed. Set himself and his family up.
He signed for the Tigers for the money. The only reason anyone would go there.

Well said Yak......A superannuation scheme for Api and his family. You can't blame a bloke for doing that.

Any idea how much it was for ?

Did you hear Ivan talk about this on a podcast or an interview. If so, you do have a link for it ?

Thanks

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Well said Yak......A superannuation scheme for Api and his family. You can't blame a bloke for doing that.

Did you hear Ivan talk about this on a podcast or an interview. If so, you do have a link for it ?

Thanks

I've just re read you're post.....it was the news. I'll go hunting for it.

The yak

Juniors

Thanks

On Ch 9. It came up in my twitter feed. Interview was 1:30 long. I could try and find it again tomorrow and post it

Every so often I have to make this point, but the whole idea of these discussion boards is to air our views as things currently stand. If we just all said nothing and “gave the club a chance”, there’d be very little discussion on here.

Of course it’s possible the club pulls a rabbit out of the hat, but it’s a fair point to make that right now our 2023 prospects don’t look great. I don’t see a hooker out there that can bring what we need.

Again, this is a discussion board to talk about these topics, theres no point everyone just waiting to see what happens.
You make a good point Herbert. What really worries me is that in 9 years time Nathan Cleary will be 30-odd years old and probably reducing in his effectiveness. What really p!sses me off is that the club obviously has no current plan to manage this eventuality…

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
You make a good point Herbert. What really worries me is that in 9 years time Nathan Cleary will be 30-odd years old and probably reducing in his effectiveness. What really p!sses me off is that the club obviously has no current plan to manage this eventuality…

I hope CWP this is a touch of irony. Please !

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
On Ch 9. It came up in my twitter feed. Interview was 1:30 long. I could try and find it again tomorrow and post it

You can't blame a bloke like Api getting towards the end of his career (his last major contract) going for the $$$$$

If Api is still unvaccinated coming into 2023 W/T are taking a pretty big gamble, possibility of him missing up to 7 or 8 games each year, on a huge contract.

And those that don’t, become a desperate team eventually.
You have to pay the desperate money to the right players (surely I don’t have to point that out to a Tiger fan).

For whatever reasons (be it off-field issues, be it a cheaper alternative identified, or potentially the coaching staff noting that API’s post-Origin output didn’t justify a HUGE contract) the people that have all the info and work with the team day-to-day decided not to sign him at the numbers he wanted.

Tigerm

First Grade
You have to pay the desperate money to the right players (surely I don’t have to point that out to a Tiger fan).

For whatever reasons (be it off-field issues, be it a cheaper alternative identified, or potentially the coaching staff noting that API’s post-Origin output didn’t justify a HUGE contract) the people that have all the info and work with the team day-to-day decided not to sign him at the numbers he wanted.
All good, he is with us in ‘23, that’s all that matters to me. I hope he goes well for us.

Original Name

Juniors
Through his speed Cook always had a high ceiling. Kenny isn't that naturally talented, his thing is he tries hard. Developing footy IQ and summing things up in an instant or on instinct isn't the same as just being born fast.

Cook developed his footy IQ since in the years after he started and he still doesn't play as smart as a guy like Api who just sees the game clearly naturally.

DinkyDi

Juniors
And you know this how?