What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

As people know, I can be a bit negative with my opinions, that’s probably because I’m an analyst by trade, but I think we’re genuine favourites in 2022.

The Storm have lost Hynes, JAC, Finucane and could be about to lose Solomona.

Souths have lost Reynolds and Bennett, big losses

The roosters have lost a stack of experience, but if they somehow get Smith for 2022 they could be dynamite.

The Eels are largely in tact for 2022, definitely a top four chance

mxlegend99

Referee
If Verrills is that good why did the Roosters sign Smith?
Because Roosters are a team who are able to replace their 8/10 players with the best player on the market when they want to.

If we could upgrade positions easily we would aswell. But we can't even keep what we have.

edit
We picked Api up off the scrapheap also. Manly preferred their other young hooker over him, and must regret massively making that decision since he hasn't played since.

Last edited:

BossleyPanther

Juniors
As people know, I can be a bit negative with my opinions, that’s probably because I’m an analyst by trade, but I think we’re genuine favourites in 2022.

The roosters have lost a stack of experience, but if they somehow get Smith for 2022 they could be dynamite.

It would be great to go back to back though. At the end of the day getting the right Hooking option to continue the dynasty is more important to me. If that is R. Smith than he must be used in at least a couple of games for short stints next season to see if he can cut it. I dont want 2023 to come and we rolling the dice with a few blokes. Losing Api was a huge curve ball to me.

Smug Panther

First Grade

Myth Moses and King Ploddo don't worry me come September

I don't rate our chance because of the probability historically, it probably comes down to my line of work as an Analyst. I look at things with the best Probabilities. Plus I do think alot of other teams are on the up. I just prefer to have someone in who will be here long haul. I don't want a small window. I want finally a team that can build a dynasty for years to come.

Fair enough, I actually work as an analyst as well.

But I think if you look at the recent history, back yo back premierships are actually increasing in chances.

Obviously the Roosters won back to back 2018 & 2019, but the Storm have come close on more than one occasion as well. In the last 7 years the comp has become less competitive.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Fair enough, I actually work as an analyst as well.

But I think if you look at the recent history, back yo back premierships are actually increasing in chances.

Obviously the Roosters won back to back 2018 & 2019, but the Storm have come close on more than one occasion as well. In the last 7 years the comp has become less competitive.
I hope you are right and yes you are correct that the comp has been less competitive, But I also think thats about to change. I hate to say it but the Dogs are going to be a force for awhile again. It was good seeing them struggle.

betcats

Referee
We do need those things, but we possibly can’t pay for them because we’ve spent huge money on a centre and a prop.

The club hasn’t prioritised properly, unfortunately.

Or maybe they just have a different plan. After losing Kikau they could have offered Api more for 2023. They haven’t seemed overly concerned about keeping Api all off-season which makes me think they have a plan for a hooker. They aren’t stupid they know hooker is an important position. They have guided us to two straight grand finals winning one. Cleary and Cameron are the same guys who got us such great value for money from api and capewell, let’s see what happens before deciding they haven’t prioritised properly.

Iamback

Coach
Or maybe they just have a different plan. After losing Kikau they could have offered Api more for 2023. They haven’t seemed overly concerned about keeping Api all off-season which makes me think they have a plan for a hooker. They aren’t stupid they know hooker is an important position. They have guided us to two straight grand finals winning one. Cleary and Cameron are the same guys who got us such great value for money from api and capewell, let’s see what happens before deciding they haven’t prioritised properly.

That is it. Ivan thinks Api got signed to overs so I want to see their plan moving forward

Iamback

Coach

Who out of those teams lose guys to Origin? Origin is the unknown if we get to the finals close to full strength in the top 2 we go back to back.
Getting to that stage is going to be very hard considering both our half replacements have gone. Not to mention the fact Capewell played both sides of the ball

That is the issue for me. We had a great squad last year almost perfect. A few holes starting to show.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Who out of those teams lose guys to Origin? Origin is the unknown if we get to the finals close to full strength in the top 2 we go back to back.
Getting to that stage is going to be very hard considering both our half replacements have gone. Not to mention the fact Capewell played both sides of the ball

That is the issue for me. We had a great squad last year almost perfect. A few holes starting to show.
May not getting in the way at 7 is f**king fantastic

Iamback

Coach
We do need those things, but we possibly can’t pay for them because we’ve spent huge money on a centre and a prop.

The club hasn’t prioritised properly, unfortunately.

Who has a better halves pairing then us?
We have the best lock
The best prop in the game
Now the best winger too

It allows you to have a few weaker guys in other positions and the system still works.

JFH gets his quick play the balls. Yeo gets decent quick ball onto the halves then we will be very hard to beat. Just need to get that decent ball from a 9

Iamback

Coach
May not getting in the way at 7 is f**king fantastic

again depends what you are after. He made a stack of tackles and a few a try assists but all comes to the all round balance of the squad seems off this year. No lower grades is a big part of it but we don't seem the stand out we were this year.

I did call us winning the comp very early last year.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
I forgot to mention the Sharks being a real threat 2022. It's actually a good squad. We need a centre (even for back up if they want to go Tago) and Prop. I think 2nd row can be filled with Lindsay, Geyer or Hopgood and a 9 for 2023

betcats

Referee
I forgot to mention the Sharks being a real threat 2022. It's actually a good squad. We need a centre (even for back up if they want to go Tago) and Prop. I think 2nd row can be filled with Lindsay, Geyer or Hopgood and a 9 for 2023

The centre or backup centre will be filled internally. Tago, may, Turuva and Jenkins will all be options there in 2023. Prop I think will be filled internally. One of smith or hopgood will play as a middle forward plus we have a couple more coming up behind them like Tanner. The young kid Sagaga has a wrap on him also.

Will be interesting to see how Geyer goes, would love to see him start the year in reserve grade. If he can kick on over the next 12 months it really solves some headaches for us in 2023.

Debt Clock

Juniors
It will be interesting on how our lower grades perform next year.
I believe Kikau replacement is in the building. Not sure what the plan is to replace APi.
Would like to see us develop some fast outside backs.

Munky

Coach
I'm not convinced the lack of lower grades will be super detrimental to some of the upcoming stars (IMO blowouts this year were poor vs good coaching rather than player quality, the rise of analytics just allows a team to identify the weakest link and blow through him every set).

A few players now in the NFL skipped a year of college football and went to the 2021 draft and have performed quite well.

It's a trade off really, a year of lower level footy with a heightened risk of injury before the top grade or no playing time but keep in shape in the gym and work your skills in a non contact environment.

The college system is a form of borderline indentured servitude so it makes sense to not play (especially running backs who will potentially be eight years into their college/NFL career before they can get a big contract at which point they are 99% busted and released to become journey men).

Iamback

Coach
I'm not convinced the lack of lower grades will be super detrimental to some of the upcoming stars (IMO blowouts this year were poor vs good coaching rather than player quality, the rise of analytics just allows a team to identify the weakest link and blow through him every set).

A few players now in the NFL skipped a year of college football and went to the 2021 draft and have performed quite well.

It's a trade off really, a year of lower level footy with a heightened risk of injury before the top grade or no playing time but keep in shape in the gym and work your skills in a non contact environment.

The college system is a form of borderline indentured servitude so it makes sense to not play (especially running backs who will potentially be eight years into their college/NFL career before they can get a big contract at which point they are 99% busted and released to become journey men).

That is the flip side.
Given how Api's back end of the season went. Guys like Mason or Smith would of played NSW Cup and we would see how they went.

Some of the guys we want in the side will effectively be jumping 2 grades