What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 RM Cup & Sydney Shield

twentyforty

Juniors
They were put into administration in the late 80's - had to pay their liquor licence fee in monthly instalments - but they bounced back and had a million in the bank a couple years later. The current situation is that they virtually have not made a profit for 5 years running.
Cabravale to provide $1mill per year? For how long?

Cabra Leagues is in a prick of a spot out the back in the industrial zone. Not exactly the easiest place to get to, though I'm assuming gaming rather than drinks make up most of their revenue.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Cabra Leagues is in a prick of a spot out the back in the industrial zone. Not exactly the easiest place to get to, though I'm assuming gaming rather than drinks make up most of their revenue.
I also think it was being mismanaged (the licenced club) and annoying the locals who subsequently left, I am under the impression they are returning with new management. I also think they stuffed around with the restaurant too much, should have left it as a good old chinese which was popular.

Anyway I hope they are able to operate and sucessfully run their RL teams, especially for the kids

I also think it was being mismanaged (the licenced club) and annoying the locals who subsequently left, I am under the impression they are returning with new management. I also think they stuffed around with the restaurant too much, should have left it as a good old chinese which was popular.

Anyway I hope they are able to operate and sucessfully run their RL teams, especially for the kids
As someone who grew up in an area where the demographics changed relatively quick, Leagues clubs need to adapt or die. There are only 2 now in my old area: St George Leagues and Ancliffe Scots Club. How Scots stays open I have no idea, and how St George Leagues isn’t in further strife is a minor miracle. The Catholic club (Club Central Hurstville) is probably the most successful in the area, and other than a good Chinese restaurant the only other thing they offer is gambling - like all good Catholics do! Their bar, The Atrium, is minuscule.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Teams in each league - 9

RM Cup

Blacktown Workers
Mounties
Glebe Dirty Reds
Fiji Silktails
Hills District Bulls
Wenworthville Magpies
St Marys
Ryde Eastwood Hawks
Western Suburbs Magpies

Sydney Shield
Brothers Penrith
Moorebank Rams
Belrose Eagles
Sydney Roosters
Hills District Bulls
Wenworthville United
St Marys
Ryde Eastwood Hawks
Cabramatta Two Blues

TigerDen

Juniors
Teams in each league - 9

RM Cup

Blacktown Workers
Mounties
Glebe Dirty Reds
Fiji Silktails
Hills District Bulls
Wenworthville Magpies
St Marys
Ryde Eastwood Hawks
Western Suburbs Magpies

Sydney Shield
Brothers Penrith
Moorebank Rams
Belrose Eagles
Sydney Roosters
Hills District Bulls
Wenworthville United
St Marys
Ryde Eastwood Hawks
Cabramatta Two Blues
Anyone know the background of the Sydney Roosters?

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I mate told me they will be a feeder for the Silktails and Roosters Jersey Flegg. Not sure if they are going to be called the Sydney Roosters though

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I look forward to what Wenworthville provide to the competitions
I think they will be different from the past couple years, better or not it will be interesting.

Given we have 2 years of interruption and clubs in and out, it will be interesting to see the dynamics of the teams and the competition. Will the stuff up extend the career of the older player or will it prompt retirement. Will the younger players coming out of Flegg and Ball etc be under prepared and not up to it due to lack of RL ?

TigerDen

Juniors
I think they will be different from the past couple years, better or not it will be interesting.

Given we have 2 years of interruption and clubs in and out, it will be interesting to see the dynamics of the teams and the competition. Will the stuff up extend the career of the older player or will it prompt retirement. Will the younger players coming out of Flegg and Ball etc be under prepared and not up to it due to lack of RL ?
I was interested in the questions you posed regarding the future of younger players transitioning from Flegg and Ball. The better players are usually taken up by NRL squads or NSW Cup, the lesser players, in the main, seem to disappear. I have long believed that RMC and Shield carry too many players in their late 20's or 30's. At very last Shield should become an U23 competition, which would allow younger players a chance to develop and provide an additional pathway into senior football. Thoughts?

rightleftin

Juniors
I was interested in the questions you posed regarding the future of younger players transitioning from Flegg and Ball. The better players are usually taken up by NRL squads or NSW Cup, the lesser players, in the main, seem to disappear. I have long believed that RMC and Shield carry too many players in their late 20's or 30's. At very last Shield should become an U23 competition, which would allow younger players a chance to develop and provide an additional pathway into senior football. Thoughts?
My thoughts are the opposite of yours. There are tons up age group competitions - there are already too many restrictions on players. The reason why players disappear from Flegg and Ball is because there are too many teams and thus the standard is poor. There are now so few teams playing in teenage competitions in the Junior leagues, that even with players brought in from the Country or NZ, a couple of districts are supplying many of the players in the teams in Ball and Flegg.

Rugby League has changed from a mass adult participating sport to basically fully professional and nothing else. There was a time when Eastern Suburbs, Balmain and St George had more than 50 A grade clubs and now maybe 6. You cannot maintain A grade comps if you have years and years of nothing in the 15-21 year age groups.

Rod Coil

Juniors
My thoughts are the opposite of yours. There are tons up age group competitions - there are already too many restrictions on players. The reason why players disappear from Flegg and Ball is because there are too many teams and thus the standard is poor. There are now so few teams playing in teenage competitions in the Junior leagues, that even with players brought in from the Country or NZ, a couple of districts are supplying many of the players in the teams in Ball and Flegg.

Rugby League has changed from a mass adult participating sport to basically fully professional and nothing else. There was a time when Eastern Suburbs, Balmain and St George had more than 50 A grade clubs and now maybe 6. You cannot maintain A grade comps if you have years and years of nothing in the 15-21 year age groups.
100% mate. St.George has only had around 4 to 6 A grades teams for the last 20+ years. Last year Arncliffe Scots didn't field an A Grade for the first time in over 50 years. They celebrate 95 years in 2022. Holding on by their fingernails like a lot of JRL clubs

Footy Tragic

Juniors
AFL is taking away to many of RL players at a junior level through better management and player support. I know 10 -15 kids from different schools who have never met an NRL player in person but have had school visits from AFL players 1 - 2x a year throughout their schooling. Most now follow or play AFL. How does it happen when there are 2 AFL sides in Sydney and 9 NRL? How could semi professional players 40 years ago turn up for junior presentations, but fully professionals can't? Players and clubs don't give a rats about kids playing the game unless they are elite and in their systems from 14. While this happens the A grade comps will get smaller and smaller because there won't be the junior players to turn into senior players.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I know we digressing from real topic of the thread, but. .... What is always talked about with junior RL its pathways. Promotion of elite players through to being fully professional. Its always we want to give all kids an opportunity. For a start not every talented kid gets a chance. Seen plenty of good ones miss out and plenty of duds get through.

But honestly the most important thing for a junior club is retention and thats tied to the kids enjoying themselves.
Its more important (and can happen more often) that someone brings their kid to a club because as a kid they enjoyed their time there, than it is for a player to go on to play NRL.

But the NRL as an organisation is only focused on the elite. This means as people say the ordinary player stops playing because as a teenager they are told if you don't make junior reps or progress on then you have failed and should stop playing

rightleftin

Juniors
Glebe

Retain: Manaia Rudolph, Jackson Garlick, Greg Eastwood, Sione Afemui, Ethan Natoli, Caleb Hamlin Uele, Riley Travers, Peter Nay, Mick Pearsall, Jesse Offen

Gains: Ethan McPherson, Sean Sabutey (St Marys), Solomone Nasoki (Silktails)
Loss: Eli Roberts (North Sydney)

North Sydney have also signed: Kamren Cryer (Mounties), Zac Mackay, Tyler Cassell (Windsor), Regan Hughes (Ryde Eastwood), Keiran Hayman (Wenty)

Isaac Thompson has moved from Windsor to South Sydney and Vince Rennie from Mounties to Newtown.

Last edited:

rightleftin

Juniors
Blacktown Workers SE

Gains - Jake Toby, Joe Tramontona, Adam Fearnley, Jedd Gordon (St Marys), Masi Fidow, Luke Hodge (Hills District)
Bruce Ward (Windsor), Adam Risk (Ryde Eastwood), Bailey Cantrill (Cronulla Caringbah), Dylan White (South Sydney), Joe Roberts (Canberra), Miller Leilua (Brisbane Norths), Tom Everleigh, JP Nohra, Jordan Main, Lewis Afeaki, William Swann (Flegg teams), Robert Mafi (Dubbo Macquarie).

Some of these guys will play NSW Cup.

Latest posts