What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contract issue- Possible solution

A lot of discussion around this with players able to sign for rival clubs in the last year of their contract with their current club. i.e 12 months in advance

The solution to this is easy as follows- players off contract that season.
  • Clubs have up to August 31st to re-sign players who are off contract that season.
  • For players off contract at the end of that season and not re-signed by August 31 their names go on a list of players available to be signed.
  • All clubs will receive a list of these players on 1st September.
  • Clubs can then EOI (express an interest) in talking to/signing that player to the players manager and player.- no negotiations of any sort can occur
  • At the end of the season ( day after the Grand Final) clubs can then talk to/negotiate with these players they have EOI'd
  • Clubs can still negotiate with their current contracted players who are coming off contract that season during this period - updated lists will be sent out to clubs if players re-sign and are no longer available.

Players now have 8 to 10 weeks off at seasons end so plenty of time to negotiate with clubs - the EOI system will enable the player to know which clubs are interested in signing them - they can short list the teams they will talk to etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Too soon, hopefully a big chunk of players will be involved in internationals at season end. I’d make it end of June of the year contract runs out. Gives effectively 9 months for players to sort out their futures.

Diesel

Coach
This may work for a player that is not leaving Sydney/NSW but the problem with 1 September lays with interstate/NZ transfers & has PR mentioned, after the GF, the international season starts.

Still, it’s the best suggestion thus far

TGG

Juniors
So the June 30 deadline becomes August 31st.
There is no way to prevent clubs and players negotiating. Making a rule that states they can’t won’t stop them.

Knight76

Juniors
I don't really see why it needs to change.

A player signs a contract to play for a club still with a year to run on their current contract. One clubs fans aren't happy and fair enough, but another clubs fans are happy and looking forward to the new player. It's balanced at least.

Also, the club losing the player has plenty of warning and can plan their cap and roster with plenty of time. If said player is surplus to needs then they have the option of letting the player go early and getting that cap space available straight away and maybe replace them now if they were released early.

I just don't see this as a big issue. If the player is going to leave, fans will be disappointed at some point.

Unless you get the RLPA to agree to it, none of these proposals will make it into reality. The NRL have little real power to unilaterally impose a signing/transfer system.

Knight76

Juniors
I see Sutcliffe making coments trying to stay relevant.

His take is its a bad look as Smith will now play soft for Melbourne to avoid injury, knowing he has a contract at the Roosters for next year.

I see Sutcliffe making coments trying to stay relevant.

His take is its a bad look as Smith will now play soft for Melbourne to avoid injury, knowing he has a contract at the Roosters for next year.

Yep, even though we've had lots of players sign 12 months or more in advance to play at a different club yet it not effect their effort at their current club (e.g. Ron Gibbs signing for Gold Coast in 1988 whilst Manly in 1987).

A lot of discussion around this with players able to sign for rival clubs in the last year of their contract with their current club. i.e 12 months in advance

The solution to this is easy as follows- players off contract that season.
  • Clubs have up to August 31st to re-sign players who are off contract that season.
  • For players off contract at the end of that season and not re-signed by August 31 their names go on a list of players available to be signed.
  • All clubs will receive a list of these players on 1st September.
  • Clubs can then EOI (express an interest) in talking to/signing that player to the players manager and player.- no negotiations of any sort can occur
  • At the end of the season ( day after the Grand Final) clubs can then talk to/negotiate with these players they have EOI'd
  • Clubs can still negotiate with their current contracted players who are coming off contract that season during this period - updated lists will be sent out to clubs if players re-sign and are no longer available.

Players now have 8 to 10 weeks off at seasons end so plenty of time to negotiate with clubs - the EOI system will enable the player to know which clubs are interested in signing them - they can short list the teams they will talk to etc.
This a well thought out solution , The NRL wouldn’t consider it for a second unfortunately

siv

First Grade
Currently there are two deadlines

1 - Jun 30 - last date to register a contract for current season
2 - Nov 1 - the day you can starting someone for the season after the up coming season

#1 - was moved to Aug 1 this year due to covid

If we are smart this should return to Jun 30

#2 - should move to August 1 for following season

When you go back to prior years this is the period it used to happen

Danish

Referee
The question no one seems to ask… do the players actually have a problem with the current system?

because seems to me the only people who actually want change are f**khead journos and poorly run clubs (who will struggle to sign players under ANY system).

any system that limits a negotiating window is going to negatively affect players, be it by reducing their ability to get the best deal, restrict the time they have to relocate (not easy for those with kids to think about). Any plan restricting negotiations is DOA.

the NRL instead should just focus on incentivising clubs to keep this shit behind closed doors instead. That’s at most what they could do

Perth Red

Post Whore
The question no one seems to ask… do the players actually have a problem with the current system?

because seems to me the only people who actually want change are f**khead journos and poorly run clubs (who will struggle to sign players under ANY system).

any system that limits a negotiating window is going to negatively affect players, be it by reducing their ability to get the best deal, restrict the time they have to relocate (not easy for those with kids to think about). Any plan restricting negotiations is DOA.

the NRL instead should just focus on incentivising clubs to keep this shit behind closed doors instead. That’s at most what they could do
I'm sure the players dont at all, its weighted in their favour.
Its the customers, ie the fans that we should be asking the question of. Personally I dont care of a player has signed for another club in a years time, we've seen at Melbourne players like Ado-Carr who we know is leaving for some time but he puts in and we love him just as much. I get it my be different if its a player going to your main rival though!

Danish

Referee
I'm sure the players dont at all, its weighted in their favour.
Its the customers, ie the fans that we should be asking the question of. Personally I dont care of a player has signed for another club in a years time, we've seen at Melbourne players like Ado-Carr who we know is leaving for some time but he puts in and we love him just as much. I get it my be different if its a player going to your main rival though!

the original rules were scrapped though because they essentially have leg ups to our rival codes and competitions to negotiate with players who could not yet test their value in the NRL.

I imagine fans would be worse off if players were leaving for France etc more regularly.

plus, I highly doubt anyone has ever stopped watching league over a player signing announced too early for their tastes. Anyone that keen on league that they follow player movements is all in

The_Frog

First Grade
A player signs a contract to play for a club still with a year to run on their current contract. One clubs fans aren't happy and fair enough, but another clubs fans are happy and looking forward to the new player. It's balanced at least.
The problem is pressure being applied to then release the player early, as we saw with Matt Burton.

Knight76

Juniors
The problem is pressure being applied to then release the player early, as we saw with Matt Burton.

That can work for a club also though. Club moves a player on who doesn't want to be there and gets some space in salary cap to spend.

For example, Drinkwater for NQ, might not factor in their considerations for next year due to other players they may go with instead, possibly they release drinkwater to the Knights which was a rumour recently, they move a player on and can then use that money in the salary cap where they feel it is better suited.

Also, clubs are guilty of getting rid of players still contracted to them due to needing the salary cap space. Shopped them around is a term used, but also dumped to reserve grade and told they have no future at the club so look elswhere is another ploy.

It's a business and players need security. Plus, delaying the signing window just allows Union free time to get players to jump codes. And, delaying the signing window still doesn't stop a club getting in a players ear and the player suddenly requests release on compassionate grounds etc.

T-Boon

Coach
As fans of an NRL club we all know we can’t get attached to players. I basically hate all the players and I just put that hate on hold if they play for my team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
the original rules were scrapped though because they essentially have leg ups to our rival codes and competitions to negotiate with players who could not yet test their value in the NRL.

I imagine fans would be worse off if players were leaving for France etc more regularly.

plus, I highly doubt anyone has ever stopped watching league over a player signing announced too early for their tastes. Anyone that keen on league that they follow player movements is all in
Bit of a furphy reason though isn’t it? Hasn’t stopped the occasional plAyer from switching since the change has it?

Yet Burton played well for the Panthers after the Panthers said no.

Also I don't recall Dale Finnucane, Nicho Hynes nor the Sharks for that matter, asking the Storm for an early release. Nor Josh Addo Carr and the Bulldogs asking for an early release for him. So based on one player and what would be his new club asking for an early release its a "crisis"?! Gimme a break.