What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do merged clubs perform so poorly?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
We will be sitting here in 20yrs asking why Adelaide don't have a team..News Corp don't want it and they run the game also there is no demand from SA.

papabear

Juniors
Ok - just looking at st georges juniors - they are running 9 junior clubs - with not every year filled by most clubs.
Just on teams North Sydney is arguably looking stronger.

Illawarra based on wikipedia had 18 odd clubs running juniors... wouldnt that make illawarra the stronger junior nursery?

papabear

Juniors
We will be sitting here in 20yrs asking why Adelaide don't have a team..News Corp don't want it and they run the game also there is no demand from SA.
Is adelaide growing as a city though.

I think rugby league there isnt a bad idea, but I would have a team in perth and another in NZ before adelaide.

Culturally on the east coast NZers and NZ have more in common then people from WA/SA. If anything there are more of them here..

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Is adelaide growing as a city though.

I think rugby league there isnt a bad idea, but I would have a team in perth and another in NZ before adelaide.

Culturally on the east coast NZers and NZ have more in common then people from WA/SA. If anything there are more of them here..
We are but we're mainly getting people from countries where league doesn't exist.

A lot of people of West Africa and the Middle East are calling the northern suburbs of Adelaide home these days.

The Rosco

Bench
Not for the past decade?!

Whose idea was it to think that merging clubs would be a good idea? They were taking the piss for sure.
While the WT have their share of issues, they have NEVER won a wooden spoon.
So for you to say they have been "battling saints for the spoon for the best part of a decade" is as incorrect and stupid as me saying that you seem to know what you are talking about.

We are but we're mainly getting people from countries where league doesn't exist.

A lot of people of West Africa and the Middle East are calling the northern suburbs of Adelaide home these days.
Plenty of Middle-easterners play and follow the game in Brisbane and Sydney. There's no reason we cannot market our game to the Middle-easterners living in Adelaide. The fact that Lebanon plays the game is a massive bonus.

So for you to say they have been "battling saints for the spoon for the best part of a decade" is as incorrect and stupid as me saying that you seem to know what you are talking about.
I thought The Tigers spent most of the time battling for 9th?

Before the mergers did you support the Tigers or Magpies?

Are you gonna use it to support your theory ?
Magpies. Who do you support ?

I used to support the St George Dragons until we merged.

I took an interest in the Illawarra Steelers between 2005-2006 and 2009-mid 2011.

At present the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks are my favourite team.

The Rosco

Bench
I used to support the St George Dragons until we merged.

I took an interest in the Illawarra Steelers between 2005-2006 and 2009-mid 2011.

At present the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks are my favourite team.
Interesting that you changed teams. How long were you a dragons fan ?
And as an outsider, there is sfa Illawarra in St George Illawarra. It seems to be St George, with a disclaimer in their name only. The jersey is all saints.

Interesting that you changed teams. How long were you a dragons fan ?
And as an outsider, there is sfa Illawarra in St George Illawarra. It seems to be St George, with a disclaimer in their name only. The jersey is all saints.

About 30 years.

There’s also no St George in them which is why I now support the Sharkies.

big hit!

Bench
Yep. 9th used to plague us.
Now we want to reach 9th !!.
But still no spoons.
Weren't Richmond Tigers in AFL called Ninthmond at one stage?

Must be a Tiger plague in both sports, although the Victorian species seemed to have got past it.

Latest posts