What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2022 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

greenBV4

Bench
It's not just the fact that Souths have lacked an adequately contrasting away design. The way they've used their home/away is often idiotic as well. Wearing white shorts agains the Roosters is stupid, wearing the black one against the Panthers is equally stoopid. The sponsors dictating which design to wear is more stoopider. And the fact they no longer have the sponsor excuse to fall back on, while still adhering to this unncecessary scheme, is ground breaking levels of stoopididity.

If one club receives an exemption to the rule requiring an adequately contasting away design, regardless of who it is, then it gives a precedent for another club to argue that they don't require one either if similar circumstances arise. I would hope that some of the voluntary dinosaurs around here wouldn't be too happy to watch Parra vs Warriors, Roosters vs Melbourne, Brisbane vs Manly running around in their home jerseys against each other ("but it's ok - their shorts and logos contrast").

Most (team-oriented and close proximity) sporting bodies around the world mandate and enforce rules on this matter, for the practicality of the players, officials, and spectators. Yet the NRL has made an exemption that implitictly claims that the red and green hoops are sacred enough ignore the intention of their own rules, while simultaneously implying that sponsors can dictate which version of the sacred cloth to wear, regardless of whether it is suitable to do so.
And it's not like these jerseys havnt existed in the past, the red jersey with the green v, or the minties one would be perfect, and would only need to be worn once or twice a year

MugaB

Coach
It's not just the fact that Souths have lacked an adequately contrasting away design. The way they've used their home/away is often idiotic as well. Wearing white shorts agains the Roosters is stupid, wearing the black one against the Panthers is equally stoopid. The sponsors dictating which design to wear is more stoopider. And the fact they no longer have the sponsor excuse to fall back on, while still adhering to this unncecessary scheme, is ground breaking levels of stoopididity.

If one club receives an exemption to the rule requiring an adequately contasting away design, regardless of who it is, then it gives a precedent for another club to argue that they don't require one either if similar circumstances arise. I would hope that some of the voluntary dinosaurs around here wouldn't be too happy to watch Parra vs Warriors, Roosters vs Melbourne, Brisbane vs Manly running around in their home jerseys against each other ("but it's ok - their shorts and logos contrast").

Most (team-oriented and close proximity) sporting bodies around the world mandate and enforce rules on this matter, for the practicality of the players, officials, and spectators. Yet the NRL has made an exemption that implitictly claims that the red and green hoops are sacred enough ignore the intention of their own rules, while simultaneously implying that sponsors can dictate which version of the sacred cloth to wear, regardless of whether it is suitable to do so.
I've always said that I've never minded the design, but agreed that they intentionally miss use the home or away, not sure if its done on purpose, but it seems that way, the 2021 GF both teams wearing black, seriously why wasn't the Rabbitohs in white?
Anyways Cody throws the interception most probably coz everyone side on is visually wearing a black kit...
I actually think if they incorporated a bit more green into the home jersey, and more red in their away jersey they'd be fine, made a mock up to show the difference...
Screenshot_20211213-144340_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20211213-144138_Samsung Internet.jpg
Making the base color red on the away solves the issue of away being the same design, but it doesn't stop souffs being tools by using the black/green home jesery against teams who wear predominantly darker kits like tigers and panthers or likewise wear the white away against Dragons, Titans or roosters

Last edited:

sempmrh

Juniors
I think the MG logo suits the Souths jersey quite well - but particularly the red and white version on the white trimmed jersey.

Regarding Souths not having a proper alternate or away jersey - a white Minties-style jersey would be perfect and would still pay tribute to their history. Alternatively, they could design a white coloured Indigenous jersey and wear that as an alternate jersey a few times a year. It would put some meaning into the jersey instead of just 'it's the white version of the home jersey', it would align with their Indigenous programs and it would probably sell better, too.

GAZF

First Grade
@greenBV4 @MugaB : Souths in red vs green doesn't cut it imo. They really need to have a predominantly white design, since their main colours have similar luminosities and happen to be associated with the most common form of colour blindness.

They should be wearing the red and green hoops + black shorts at every home game, and away games against Bulldogs, Cowboys (if they use the white jersey), Dragons, Sharks, Tigers (in orange), Titans (maybe), Dolphins - that's 25 out of a possible 36 home/away clashes or 70% of all possible games (ex one-off designs). Then, they should put their heads togther and come up with an away jersey that isn't shit, incorporates the club's colours while still contrasting, and build equity around that design by sticking with it for more than 1 year. Refer to the Roosters on how to do this properly.

It's Been Done

Juniors
I think the MG logo suits the Souths jersey quite well - but particularly the red and white version on the white trimmed jersey.

Regarding Souths not having a proper alternate or away jersey - a white Minties-style jersey would be perfect and would still pay tribute to their history. Alternatively, they could design a white coloured Indigenous jersey and wear that as an alternate jersey a few times a year. It would put some meaning into the jersey instead of just 'it's the white version of the home jersey', it would align with their Indigenous programs and it would probably sell better, too.

They wore such a jersey only recently for the Perth 9s in 2020 as well as the Charity Shield. It's based off a jersey that was meant to be worn as a alternate in the 1980 Panasonic Cup but was never required

Original;

souths1980panasoniccup.jpg

2020 version;

souths20nines.jpg

Another version of the Minties jersey exists with black as the main colour instead of white, it was used by their U20s side in 2014
No photo description available.

flippikat

Bench
They wore such a jersey only recently for the Perth 9s in 2020 as well as the Charity Shield. It's based off a jersey that was meant to be worn as a alternate in the 1980 Panasonic Cup but was never required

Original;

souths1980panasoniccup.jpg

2020 version;

souths20nines.jpg

Another version of the Minties jersey exists with black as the main colour instead of white, it was used by their U20s side in 2014
No photo description available.
I rather like this white away/alternate from 2002. Mostly white AND the stripes inside a saddle... I suppose a black version of this could be made if they wanna go with "light home, dark away"...

images

yakstorm

First Grade
268797190_4686910681400168_4395713997584774934_n.jpg

2022 Dragons NRLW Jersey. A lot closer to the Men's traditional design, with just some red under the armpits possibly the main difference.

MugaB

Coach
It's an improvement on the past design, but I still would rather they wore the plain Red V. If you play 1st Grade for the Dragons, you should wear the 1st Grade jersey, no matter if you're a man or a woman.
That's how it should be in regards to top flight sport, having said that tho, i did like the womens inagural jersey, but i couldn't find where to buy one

TGG

Juniors
If one club receives an exemption to the rule requiring an adequately contasting away design, regardless of who it is, then it gives a precedent for another club to argue that they don't require one either

Definitely. This happening my even prevent those really bad away designs ever seeing the light of day given clubs are likely to experiment with away jerseys with really poor results.

TGG

Juniors
The 2021 GF both teams wearing black, seriously why wasn't the Rabbitohs in white?
Good point. Even though both clubs had black in their jerseys it didn’t cause a clash at all nor did I even pay attention or notice it during the Grand Final. Really highlights how much of a non-issue it is.

TGG

Juniors
Problem is there is 35 navy blue teams. They NEED and away jersey
That’s interesting given there is only 16, soon to be 17 teams.
Thanks mate. I don’t understand the reference though.
I personally find it sad that people can’t have conversations anymore without reverting to using pictures or memes which are meant to have some kind of meaning to it.