What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrell Sloan

Old Timer

Coach
Brian Johnson was also very gifted as a running FB and he too was deceptively quick.

One of his great assets was his ability to adjust his running angle at full speed to veer around and just out of the reach of opponents.

Sadly this isn't the highlights of him in the Big Red V but it does show the high level skills he had. Was devastated when he left and equally devastated when he passed away one hell of a player

If TS picks up any of the skills of those greats that have been mentioned he will be a very very good player for a very very long time.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Teddy had talent to burn - maybe too much talent as he didn't appear to have to work very hard to do amazing things on the field. Since it all seemed very easy for him might explain why he did tend to drift in and out of games. Still, I loved watching him play.
Teddy playing against MANLY sure he scored 3 or 4 tries anyone remember that game made Graham Eadie look like a school boy .........

rasaint

Juniors
I’m very happy and excited to have Tyrell Sloan at fullback. He is the real deal in my opinion.

I am disappointed that Matt Duffy still receives all sorts of criticism. Matt has left the Dragons. Yes, like all players he had pros and cons. I challenge the idea that Matt doesn’t have ‘vision’.

Matt was part of our very good 2018 team, which made the semi finals. Thereafter, we have struggled for the past 3 seasons. In my opinion our roster was below average and SOO player Jack Be Belin stayed on our books for all that time and sucked apparently $590k from our cap and we are a team that has low 3rd party deals anyway.

Matt Dufty has played 82 NRL games in a below average struggling team. He has scored 44 trys. Most of them wonderful efforts of vision, bursting between players with high end speed for long range try’s. Some of his trys were sublime individual efforts. The famous one on Anzac Day 2019 from 55 metres near best in the decade. In contrast Billy Slater playing in the amazing cashed up big 3rd party $$$ team scored 191 trys in 323 NRL games.

Basically Duffy nearly has the same strike rate as Billy yet playing in a struggling team. Duff had deficiencies but vision wasn’t one of them. Neither was being able to excite fans.

Dragon David

First Grade
I’m very happy and excited to have Tyrell Sloan at fullback. He is the real deal in my opinion.

I am disappointed that Matt Duffy still receives all sorts of criticism. Matt has left the Dragons. Yes, like all players he had pros and cons. I challenge the idea that Matt doesn’t have ‘vision’.

Matt was part of our very good 2018 team, which made the semi finals. Thereafter, we have struggled for the past 3 seasons. In my opinion our roster was below average and SOO player Jack Be Belin stayed on our books for all that time and sucked apparently $590k from our cap and we are a team that has low 3rd party deals anyway.

Matt Dufty has played 82 NRL games in a below average struggling team. He has scored 44 trys. Most of them wonderful efforts of vision, bursting between players with high end speed for long range try’s. Some of his trys were sublime individual efforts. The famous one on Anzac Day 2019 from 55 metres near best in the decade. In contrast Billy Slater playing in the amazing cashed up big 3rd party $$$ team scored 191 trys in 323 NRL games.

Basically Duffy nearly has the same strike rate as Billy yet playing in a struggling team. Duff had deficiencies but vision wasn’t one of them. Neither was being able to excite fans.
I agree with what you have said rasaint. In truth then, if the Bulldogs this year excel as a team, I'm sure that Matt will score several scintillating tries for them and maybe become the clubs highest try scorer alongside Josh Ado-Carr. The Bulldogs will be an exciting team to watch insofar as their fans are concerned. If Matt does in fact score lots of tries and his defence improves sufficiently, you never know, he could be signed up for another 3 years at the Dogs and will then be barking at us for years to come.

denis preston

First Grade
I agree with what you have said rasaint. In truth then, if the Bulldogs this year excel as a team, I'm sure that Matt will score several scintillating tries for them and maybe become the clubs highest try scorer alongside Josh Ado-Carr. The Bulldogs will be an exciting team to watch insofar as their fans are concerned. If Matt does in fact score lots of tries and his defence improves sufficiently, you never know, he could be signed up for another 3 years at the Dogs and will then be barking at us for years to come.
Cant see it. He has shown enough in defense for all sides to know his deficiencies and this will be exploited to the max by every side he plays. His future for mine is a big money contract in England where he would be a sensation.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
I expect the same from Dufty that he has always showed. Some great attack, and will finish off tries with his speed. Some poor positional play in defence and will let in tries as not putting his body on the line. And some absolute shockers under the high ball

Spazer

Juniors
Sloan has a much higher ceiling than dufty and in a couple seasons will be the better fb. Still would have liked to have dufty somewhere in the top 30 but it's not to be.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I think between Lomax, Mbye, Bird we have depth for cover in case at FB.............but for me as long as Sloan can master the defensive aspects of his game and keeping filling out a little more......well he honestly has no ceiling for me.

Sloan is completely effortless in his dexterity and movement.........seems to read the game incredibly well for his age in FG. He is plenty quick enough off the mark and mid stream.

I am so excited about his potential to be a genuine FG fullback in 2022.

We will definitely miss Duftys ability in the play making but who knows yet with Sloan. We havent played him that second 5/8 type role as yet.

Old Timer

Coach
Sloan has a great future and huge ceiling based on what he showed briefly in 2021.

Dufty on the other hand had already shown us his ceiling and the quandary was always how bad can he be on a given day and it was for that exact reason we let him go as his arrogance never let him fix his obvious flaws.

Well the Dogs are just about to find out the answer to that question.

JAC to be FB by midway through the 2nd round.