What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th team still possible this tv deal

Ok, I’ve reached the end of this discussion. My time is too precious to be spent arguing with the ignorant or the contumely.

Also you’re instead of your in that case (that’s if you wish to have a go at other people’s grammar)

Feel free to talk about the main topic if you wish.
Your is the correct word as in something belongs to you-what's your poison or are these your views - You're is a combination of two words, you and are- You certainly would not say as you are posts would you.

I think you and MugB are the same person as your posts are very very similar in content

Note Correct use of You're below

You're right arguing with MugB is like arguing with the ignorant or the contumely.

Don’t get me wrong, there are disadvantages which you have quite rightly touched upon. Location and corporates are a pretty big if but I think it’s looking likely (unless V’landys goes beforehand).

I would love Perth to be chosen; it is my preferred option.
WA is rusted on AFL though - League is behind Rugby and Football in popularity - People will say look at the Crowd at SOO in Perth - How many locals vs fly-ins and the usual invites though.

The more teams they admit the closer the league will come to introducing a external/internal draft or some sort of points system to "spread the talent around"

The NRL pay for all travel and accommodation etc which wont be cheap if admitting an additional NZ team and Perth though

Colk

First Grade
Your is the correct word as in something belongs to you-what's your poison or are these your views - You're is a combination of two words, you and are- You certainly would not say as you are posts would you.

I think you and MugB are the same person as your posts are very very similar in content

Note Correct use of You're below

You're right arguing with MugB is like arguing with the ignorant or the contumely.

Wrong reference

You wrote: Maybe your confused with the Newcastle’s

Should be: Maybe you’re confused with the Newcastle’s

Seriously mate you don’t need to teach me the difference between your and you’re.

Wrong reference

You wrote: Maybe your confused with the Newcastle’s

Should be: Maybe you’re confused with the Newcastle’s

Seriously mate you don’t need to teach me the difference between your and you’re.
Just testing your knowledge so I will give you full marks for picking that up

Colk

First Grade
WA is rusted on AFL though - League is behind Rugby and Football in popularity - People will say look at the Crowd at SOO in Perth - How many locals vs fly-ins and the usual invites though.

The more teams they admit the closer the league will come to introducing a external/internal draft or some sort of points system to "spread the talent around"

The NRL pay for all travel and accommodation etc which wont be cheap if admitting an additional NZ team and Perth though

People would’ve said the same thing about AFL pre-expansion into Brisbane and Sydney 30-40 years ago. The fact that this view of “rusted on” AFL or NRL areas is still so pervasive is absolutely remarkable and slightly depressing.

Consider the remarkable changes in demographics and population shifts over that timeframe (30-40 years) In modern society, it is completely normal for a person to move interstate or overseas for career or lifestyle reasons; heck, I have been offered multiple chances to move interstate for work.

Now taking that further, consider also the growth of Western Australia over the time of the mining boom and how a lot of the workforce driving that economic growth has come from the eastern states. Essentially, there are a lot of individuals from the eastern states living in Western Australia, who, coupled with some South African and English diaspora would provide enough support for a WA side.

Anyway, even putting all these aspects aside for one moment, don’t you think that not putting a side in WA shows a lack of faith in the product that you’re selling? Are you saying that people can’t become interested in Rugby League?

Lastly, I’m in favour of something that spreads the talent more evenly. The salary cap, in isolation, doesn’t work (at least in effectively spreading the talent around)

Perth Red

Post Whore

It was estimated there was about 15k fly ins, so 45 k locals. On top of the 20k sell outs and 34k double header, you think league might be behind those sports because we haven’t had a club here for 25 years? Lol.

If you think an nrl club won’t draw better crowds than glory or force you don’t know perth very well.

travel costs for nz2 or perth will be around $250k a year, I’m sure the $500mill a year nrl can afford it!

It was estimated there was about 15k fly ins, so 45 k locals. On top of the 20k sell outs and 34k double header, you think league might be behind those sports because we haven’t had a club here for 25 years? Lol.

If you think an nrl club won’t draw better crowds than glory or force you don’t know perth very well.

travel costs for nz2 or perth will be around $250k a year, I’m sure the $500mill a year nrl can afford it!
Clubs receive I understand 10 mill a year grant from the NRL so for each new club admitted an extra 50 mill needs to be extracted from broadcasters if not included in the current broadcast contract which are usually 5 year ones

3 new teams would mean an extra 150 mill over 5 years hence why admitting even an 18th team wont be rushed.- 50 mill

As part of the NRL Criteria for New franchises they need to satisfy several financial requirements, including being able to produce a bank guarantee of $50 million over the course of five years to prove the team will be sustainable moving forward.

If they do go to an 18th team or even 20 they need to have conferences - i favour 4 divisions of 5 teams if a 20 team comp.

Gould and Bennett are behind the conference system if an 18 team comp - Sydney and Non Sydney Conference with 3 Grandfinals - conference ones and the two conference winners playing off superbowl style - a cross over finals series would be a compromise - say a 10 team finals series - top 4 from each conference and a wild card play off for the other two finals places - 5 vs 6 playoff with the 2 winners playing finals.

Last edited:

mmm so the WA Team will be called the West Coast Pirates -won't that be confusing when your have the West Coast Eagles - people saying West Coast - which team are they talking about Pirates or Eagles.

People may have an issue with a name Pirates as after all they weren't law abiding folk - Thieves, murderer's and cut throats.

The skull and cross swords closely resembles the Totenkopf -Prussian Military emblem -the SS used it for their death head emblem although Cross Bones instead of Swords.

Surely a name related to WA would be more appropriate in current Inclusive times - Crusaders had to change their name/ England Saxons Rugby Union had to change their name to England A for instance.

Too much use of American Sporting team names in Australia as well- Brisbane Bronco's - Denver Broncos NFL / North Queensland Cowboys - Dallas Cowboys NFL - West Coast Pirates - Pittsburgh Pirates in the MLB

Why not the West Coast or WA Quokka's /Sea Lions or Dugites

Perth Red

Post Whore
Clubs receive I understand 10 mill a year grant from the NRL so for each new club admitted an extra 50 mill needs to be extracted from broadcasters if not included in the current broadcast contract which are usually 5 year ones

3 new teams would mean an extra 150 mill over 5 years hence why admitting even an 18th team wont be rushed.- 50 mill

As part of the NRL Criteria for New franchises they need to satisfy several financial requirements, including being able to produce a bank guarantee of $50 million over the course of five years to prove the team will be sustainable moving forward.

If they do go to an 18th team or even 20 they need to have conferences - i favour 4 divisions of 5 teams if a 20 team comp.

Gould and Bennett are behind the conference system if an 18 team comp - Sydney and Non Sydney Conference with 3 Grandfinals - conference ones and the two conference winners playing off superbowl style - a cross over finals series would be a compromise - say a 10 team finals series - top 4 from each conference and a wild card play off for the other two finals places - 5 vs 6 playoff with the 2 winners playing finals.

Nope your wrong in all,of that lol

club grants are $13mill a year
nrl doesn’t require a $50million guarantee
nrl doesn’t have to go to a conference system if it chooses not to, afl runs a 18 team single comp with no problem

Perth Red

Post Whore
mmm so the WA Team will be called the West Coast Pirates -won't that be confusing when your have the West Coast Eagles - people saying West Coast - which team are they talking about Pirates or Eagles.

People may have an issue with a name Pirates as after all they weren't law abiding folk - Thieves, murderer's and cut throats.

The skull and cross swords closely resembles the Totenkopf -Prussian Military emblem -the SS used it for their death head emblem although Cross Bones instead of Swords.

Surely a name related to WA would be more appropriate in current Inclusive times - Crusaders had to change their name/ England Saxons Rugby Union had to change their name to England A for instance.

Too much use of American Sporting team names in Australia as well- Brisbane Bronco's - Denver Broncos NFL / North Queensland Cowboys - Dallas Cowboys NFL - West Coast Pirates - Pittsburgh Pirates in the MLB

Why not the West Coast or WA Quokka's /Sea Lions or Dugites
Depends on who won the bid, we have three potential bidders, one backing the pirates, one who what’s to see the reds return and one whose registered quokkas.

kids Love to dress up as pirates, I don’t think there’s a brand issue lol

WA had Australias only pirate, and a buccaneer for good measure so its got some local relevance.

at this point)t in time they can be called the candy floss fairies for all I care if it meant we got a team!

MugaB

Coach
People would’ve said the same thing about AFL pre-expansion into Brisbane and Sydney 30-40 years ago. The fact that this view of “rusted on” AFL or NRL areas is still so pervasive is absolutely remarkable and slightly depressing.

Consider the remarkable changes in demographics and population shifts over that timeframe (30-40 years) In modern society, it is completely normal for a person to move interstate or overseas for career or lifestyle reasons; heck, I have been offered multiple chances to move interstate for work.

Now taking that further, consider also the growth of Western Australia over the time of the mining boom and how a lot of the workforce driving that economic growth has come from the eastern states. Essentially, there are a lot of individuals from the eastern states living in Western Australia, who, coupled with some South African and English diaspora would provide enough support for a WA side.

Anyway, even putting all these aspects aside for one moment, don’t you think that not putting a side in WA shows a lack of faith in the product that you’re selling? Are you saying that people can’t become interested in Rugby League?

Lastly, I’m in favour of something that spreads the talent more evenly. The salary cap, in isolation, doesn’t work (at least in effectively spreading the talent around)
Salary cap =Well you know why tho... but that's due to self interested clubs gaining advantages over others, otherwise it probably would work, yet you can't punish or detract other clubs from producing talent and not be able to keep thru a draft

MugaB

Coach
Depends on who won the bid, we have three potential bidders, one backing the pirates, one who what’s to see the reds return and one whose registered quokkas.

kids Love to dress up as pirates, I don’t think there’s a brand issue lol

WA had Australias only pirate, and a buccaneer for good measure so its got some local relevance.

at this point)t in time they can be called the candy floss fairies for all I care if it meant we got a team!
But but but "bucceneer" is an American name...
Yeah i'd like to see either Reds return or go with Pirates,
...Quokkas is pretty dumb

P.s. Colk and I are not the same person MS, you would know by the grammar checking youve done previously... just coz half the forum thinks youre a douche MS, doesn't mean they are the same person, just means they have something in common in agreement that youre a toff... Seriously, newy in WA.... straw grasping at its Maximum!

Colk

First Grade
Salary cap =Well you know why tho... but that's due to self interested clubs gaining advantages over others, otherwise it probably would work, yet you can't punish or detract other clubs from producing talent and not be able to keep thru a draft

I’m not a huge fan of a draft, at least one like the fumbleball one. It’s too simplistic.

I notice that the NRLW are playing around with a points system. I am intrigued by how it’ll work. I know some people have had a crack at me for suggesting it and yes there are problems with it but at least it would be totally transparent and couldn’t possibly be rorted.

Colk

First Grade
But but but "bucceneer" is an American name...
Yeah i'd like to see either Reds return or go with Pirates,
...Quokkas is pretty dumb

P.s. Colk and I are not the same person MS, you would know by the grammar checking youve done previously... just coz half the forum thinks youre a douche MS, doesn't mean they are the same person, just means they have something in common in agreement that youre a toff... Seriously, newy in WA.... straw grasping at its Maximum!

Quokkas are great. Maybe not as a RL mascot though.

I’m very partial to the Reds - uniquely Australian, particularly in a competition and society where branding is so much derived from American influences.

So if your uncle was a plural of females they would be your aunt? Obviously money spend at toff school doesn't buy any education...

18th team based in NZ will most probably be based in Auckland, the more i think of it, purely based on population comparison to the rest of the other areas in and around new zealand, making Auckland a solidified rugba lig town, ala brisbane, although if PVL and co. wanted to go head to head with RU Christchurch would be they way to go... but not sure the population there would be enough especially since RU being top dog there, and i suppose Wellington being somewhat neutral in that regards could too, but chances are Auckland 2 are the favorites
If they're going to put a second team in Auckland then they couldn't say "no" to a third in Brisbane. The population of Greater Brisbane is larger and rugby league is its main sport with daylight second.

It's not like the Warriors pull Broncos numbers to their games. Plus RU is top dog in Auckland. The only way I can see Auckland 2 working is if it's a Pacific Islander XIII, but it would probably cannibalise the Warriors and create race riots.

I'd rather they turn the Warriors into North Island Warriors. Take a couple of games to other cities on the North Island.

New team can be South Island, based in Christchurch but playing in other cities.

Let's not forget Perth. They've got a good bid and deserve a licence.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Quokkas are great. Maybe not as a RL mascot though.

I’m very partial to the Reds - uniquely Australian, particularly in a competition and society where branding is so much derived from American influences.
Yeh they are cutest animal ever, but as far as an aggressive sport mascot goes, lol just no!

I love the reds logo but the name is now taken by union sadly, pirates you can make a great brand out of and do some pretty special merch and game day themes with, especially for engaging the kids.

out of eagles, wildcats, glory, force and dockers Id say Pirates would be the most favoured brand by kids. an easy sell For a new club. The logo needs simplifying though For this digital age, something like this.

646DD392-3591-4E0B-BC76-C73768DEAD53.jpeg

Nope your wrong in all,of that lol

club grants are $13mill a year
nrl doesn’t require a $50million guarantee
nrl doesn’t have to go to a conference system if it chooses not to, afl runs a 18 team single comp with no problem
A 50 mill bank guarantee is required

As the NRL confirmed an expansion would take place from 2023, the game’s finances were also on the agenda, with the new club required to have a $50 million bank guarantee to carry it over the next five years without handouts from head office.

If 13 mill a year grants then for each new side an extra 65 million will need to be extracted from broadcasters or obtained from somewhere as one assumes the existing clubs wont take a cut in the grant payments to accommodate any new teams.- Broadcast deals are usually 5 year ones.

Which of course may well mean an 18th team is a fair way off if ever and 18 maybe the limit that the game can afford based on the grant being 13 mill per club. Each Club receiving 65 mill over 5 years

18 teams - extra 65 mill required
19 teams - extra 130 mill required
20 teams - extra 195 mill required

If 18 though it has to be 2 conferences