What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

slippery5

Juniors
I can confirm that this rumour is indeed true.
BTW Miller, is Hynes really a half?
I feel like he’s a fullback. You might have a problem with trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole I reckon there.
Another BTW, I saw MCInnes the other day at the Taren Point butcher, he looks immense!!! Bigger than Gallen was, similar build.
Crush, I have watched Hynes from the first time he turned up in the Qld cup at the Falcons & I can tell you what he showed at FB is limited to what he showed playing in the halves with his hands on the ball more. I'll go as far as saying the Storms demise in the final games was the due to him being left on the bench, in preference to a support player.
In Hindsight, it was Munster that should have been benched.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
ST GEORGE Illawarra are hoping to have the bulk of its male and female squads back on the park by the end of January, with more than 20 players currently in isolation after returning positive COVID tests.
Preseason training for the NRL squad resumed on Thursday with more than a dozen players missing after returning positive tests over the Christmas break.
The NRLW squad will also be light on when it begins preparations for the upcoming season on Monday, with several players either testing positive or being deemed close contacts.
NRL protocols dictate that all players had to return negative Rapid Antigen Tests [RAT] on three consecutive days, or a negative PCR test, before returning to club environments.
With positive tests returned at various stages of the Christmas break, Dragons CEO Ryan Webb says the coming fortnight will see a gradual return of both squads.
"When you combine male, female [players] and staff, there's a subtstantial number of people unable to head into training at the moment," Webb said.
"We've got a few people trickling in each day as the different [isolation] periods finish. We hope those isolation numbers will lessen as we move forward, but no one's really sure how it's going to look.
"I think every club's going to have to work through this situation if they haven't already. We can't do anything, it's running through the community.
"Hopefully everyone can come back healthy sooner rather than later. We haven't had anyone showing heavy symptoms either, so that hasn't been a concern for us in that sense.
"It changes pretty quickly, but you just follow the rules the best you can, stick to the NRL's protocol, and see how January plays out."
The Omicron variant continues to wreak havoc on the country's summer sports, with the NBL, BBL and A-League forced to postpone a host of fixtures, threatening the viability of their respective seasons.
Read more: Pub dream becomes reality for Pearson as NRLW season looms
Physical demands and contractual broadcasting considerations make similar in-season postponements a virtual impossibility for the NRL.
With preseason fixtures and the NRLW season set to begin in mid-to-late February, Webb said all clubs face another season of adapting to rapidly changing protocols.
"I wouldn't say it's going to be more challenging because the last two seasons have thrown some pretty good challenges up," Webb said.
"It will pose some unique chellenges and we'll just have to work through those as we have the last couple of years.
"That's why you've got the experts involved in there to make those calls. They consult with the clubs and the NRL to come up with something that works.
"What they've come up with the last couple of years has worked so I'm sure we'll work through it over the next six weeks as we run into our first preseason games.
"I'm sure we'll have something in place by then that best suits the times and I'm sure that'll probably have to adjust as we go as well."
With the outbreak set to carryover into the season proper, there have been calls for the NRL to relax restrictions and allow a club's entire top 30 to be available each week.
It remains to be seen whether that occurs but, having added depth to its list this year, Webb feels the club is in a good position to cover sudden unavailabilities should they arise through the campaign.
"It's not something we were envisaging but it certainly can't hurt," Webb said.
"You see other sports that are running now, whether it's the Big Bash, the NBL and American sports, players are going to fall out and become unavailable throughout the year.
"Depth's definitely going to play a role, probably more so that it has in previous years, if things continue the way they are at the moment."
The Illawarra Mercury news app is now officially live on both iOS and Android devices. It is available for download in the Apple Store and Google Play.

Gareth67

First Grade
Most unfortunate that our - any clubs players have tested positive to the virus . The NRL will certainly require a miracle to see out the entire season .

I can confirm that this rumour is indeed true.
BTW Miller, is Hynes really a half?
I feel like he’s a fullback. You might have a problem with trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole I reckon there.
Another BTW, I saw MCInnes the other day at the Taren Point butcher, he looks immense!!! Bigger than Gallen was, similar build.
Nicho will be fine. Came through as a half but gee is a good FB though

randomdragon

Juniors
I'm not sure that is entirely correct, ie people have got it several times according to various sources.
Yes they have, but you do build a level of immunity to the virus, greater than others that haven’t gotten it, hence why you were allowed vaccine until 6 months after acquiring covid

ALSGI

Bench
I am in the ‘ older ‘ category of Australians , so even the flu flattens me . What you have said could very well be so , however I prefer to continue on with the booster shots just to be on the safe side .
My wife and I have it now, we think day 5 or 6.
Had our booster before xmas and we’re both double vaxed since May as we’re both frontline workers.
I’m fairly mild, missus is pretty floored like a really bad flu.
Like you Gareth67 I’m in the older category (a few years older than you if ‘67 is an indicator) so we’ve been cautious and concerned.
Hopefully, this will protect us (all) further.

Hoping our young Dragons get over it quickly, back into training and give us a good season.

Gareth67

First Grade
My wife and I have it now, we think day 5 or 6.
Had our booster before xmas and we’re both double vaxed since May as we’re both frontline workers.
I’m fairly mild, missus is pretty floored like a really bad flu.
Like you Gareth67 I’m in the older category (a few years older than you if ‘67 is an indicator) so we’ve been cautious and concerned.
Hopefully, this will protect us (all) further.

Hoping our young Dragons get over it quickly, back into training and give us a good season.

Very glad to hear that both you and your wife are overcoming the virus ALSGI and that the vaccinations and booster shots are doing their job . My age would be just about on par with your own as I was 67 back in 2016 when I first joined the forum.

randomdragon

Juniors
I am in the ‘ older ‘ category of Australians , so even the flu flattens me . What you have said could very well be so , however I prefer to continue on with the booster shots just to be on the safe side .
yes i dont take anything away from the booster, just saying for if you catch it.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm turning 75 on 28th February. I've had the three lots of shots (2 Astra and 1 Pfizer) and i certainly hope I don't get Covid as my poor old lungs from smoking may not be strong enough to withstand the strain.

I hear that our Health Minister (cannot remember if its the State or Federal minister) says that everyone will eventually get Covid of some sort - some mild cases and some severe ones.

Covid will eventually be taken over by some other virus in the future and as such everyone will need to take precautions and safeguards for a very long time is my opinion.

We won't know what shaking hands was all about and hugging and giving a lady a welcome kiss on the cheek will fade away.

We won't be able to smell farts from someone nearby because of the social distance rules maybe being increased. Sorry, poor taste of humour.

Provided our game is not too disrupted this year and the next few, I will be happy.

randomdragon

Juniors
I'm turning 75 on 28th February. I've had the three lots of shots (2 Astra and 1 Pfizer) and i certainly hope I don't get Covid as my poor old lungs from smoking may not be strong enough to withstand the strain.

I hear that our Health Minister (cannot remember if its the State or Federal minister) says that everyone will eventually get Covid of some sort - some mild cases and some severe ones.

Covid will eventually be taken over by some other virus in the future and as such everyone will need to take precautions and safeguards for a very long time is my opinion.

We won't know what shaking hands was all about and hugging and giving a lady a welcome kiss on the cheek will fade away.

We won't be able to smell farts from someone nearby because of the social distance rules maybe being increased. Sorry, poor taste of humour.

Provided our game is not too disrupted this year and the next few, I will be happy.
im sure you will be ok DD, if youre worried just take preventative measures, get outside and get the heart rate up and get some exercise in those lungs and im sure you will be ok :)

Gareth67

First Grade

Unless the world’s scientists find a vaccine that - totally - destroys the virus , then I fear that every country will eventually have its own strain of Covid . From there each state and possibly even region .

Of course that is merely my view , but it seems to me that we are constantly emptying the boat of water instead of repairing the leak . Only the co-operation of all world health bodies , will a solution be found .

Dragon David

First Grade
im sure you will be ok DD, if youre worried just take preventative measures, get outside and get the heart rate up and get some exercise in those lungs and im sure you will be ok :)
Thanks randomdragon. I'm seeing my lung doctor tomorrow and he always tells me to exercise which is what I am doing . It helps the heart (had a triple by-pass done in 2013) and the lungs , that's for sure.

Gareth67

First Grade
Thanks randomdragon. I'm seeing my lung doctor tomorrow and he always tells me to exercise which is what I am doing . It helps the heart (had a triple by-pass done in 2013) and the lungs , that's for sure.

Hopefully the exercise will have helped Dave , however take it one day at a time.

Last edited: