What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad 2022

Tigerm

First Grade
If our team turn it around and make the 8 that would be some kind of achievement, the gutless, inept display of football shown from the WT this season was embarrassing,I would go as far as saying that the 2021 squad were the most woeful,under performing team In our history and thats saying something considering some of our past teams.
Agree, though in some games they showed what they were capable of, but mainly just went through the motions, I’m glad the club saw it that way as well, by the looks?

super_coach

First Grade
The same thing happened last year. I'm a bit concerned by Thompson and Cotric but they'd improve us. I just worry about cost vs output.
Defence is our Achilles heel, and both the above players will help in that department. We can’t get anywhere near the eight without massive improvements in defence.

I do worry a tad that the squad lacks a game breaker that you need in Peter V football, but maybe after last year they may pull the game back a bit to try and avoid 6 blow outs a round.

simmo05

Bench
If our team turn it around and make the 8 that would be some kind of achievement, the gutless, inept display of football shown from the WT this season was embarrassing,I would go as far as saying that the 2021 squad were the most woeful,under performing team In our history and thats saying something considering some of our past teams.
It was f**kin disgusting. And all while the cameras were rolling. How could you sleep at night

Vic Mackey

Referee
ttps://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7538303/brumbies-prospect-tupou-bound-for-the-tigers/

Sam French says it’s easy to forget Junior Tupou is still a teenager.

The Queanbeyan Whites coach knows better than most what Tupou is capable of having coached the supremely talented outside back in the John I Dent Cup this year - and the Wests Tigers have taken notice.

Tupou has joined the NRL club on a three-year deal which runs until the end of the 2024 season, having spent this year in the ACT Brumbies’ Super Rugby set-up.

Canberra Raiders junior Tupou had represented NSW at under 16 and under 18 level before signing with the Brumbies in a bid to crack the 15-man code.

But now he returns to rugby league having been stuck behind a host of Test players and Wallaby hopefuls in the Brumbies ranks.

“You easily forget he just turned 19, playing first grade, training full-time with the Brumbies. You could easily be forgiven for that because he is such a big unit and so electric that you’d think he was a lot older than what he was,” French said.

"Every now and then, he would do something that was very special and you’d be guilty of thinking that’s expected of someone in his position, but you’d be forgetting the fact he is actually only 19 years old and he should have been running around with his schoolmates in colts.

"He hardly ever gets tackled by the first defender, he’s extremely strong, has great footwork, he’s a big man.

"I think his game will translate well to rugby league, just in the sense that a lot of that is a one-on-one battle or a two-on-one battle, and you don’t have to worry about running shape, it’s just a battle of who is better.

“Depending on whether they play him in the centres or on the edge out at the Tigers, he’s going to be very hard to stop with another year of growing.”

Tupou is the latest Whites youngster to kick onto higher honours after Brendan Jimenez, Zeph Tuinona and Tony Alofipo took opportunities in Japan, while Jed Stuart is touring abroad with the Australian sevens rugby team and Fred Kaihea has signed with the Brumbies.

“He’s probably the quietest person I’ve ever met, especially for someone who has always been touted as a big deal with a big future,” French said.

"All through his schooling career he was always going to be something special. But there’s no ego, he’s quiet, really reserved. He’s actually a bit of an enigma, he’s quite hard to unpack and get to know.

“To be honest, I’m proud of him for taking the opportunity in a new city away from here because he is so shy, I’m sure it’ll be a big challenge for him.”

--------------------

Going to be an interesting watch this guy. Ive sussed a few school boy highlights of him and the kids a monster but also moves very well. He reminds me of Stephen Crighton however is already a lot thicker set. In no way am I saying I expect him to have the same sort of impact as SC, however the athleticism looks to be there. If the club has signed him for 3 years there is clearly big plans in place.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
ttps://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7538303/brumbies-prospect-tupou-bound-for-the-tigers/

Sam French says it’s easy to forget Junior Tupou is still a teenager.

The Queanbeyan Whites coach knows better than most what Tupou is capable of having coached the supremely talented outside back in the John I Dent Cup this year - and the Wests Tigers have taken notice.

Tupou has joined the NRL club on a three-year deal which runs until the end of the 2024 season, having spent this year in the ACT Brumbies’ Super Rugby set-up.

Canberra Raiders junior Tupou had represented NSW at under 16 and under 18 level before signing with the Brumbies in a bid to crack the 15-man code.

But now he returns to rugby league having been stuck behind a host of Test players and Wallaby hopefuls in the Brumbies ranks.

“You easily forget he just turned 19, playing first grade, training full-time with the Brumbies. You could easily be forgiven for that because he is such a big unit and so electric that you’d think he was a lot older than what he was,” French said.

"Every now and then, he would do something that was very special and you’d be guilty of thinking that’s expected of someone in his position, but you’d be forgetting the fact he is actually only 19 years old and he should have been running around with his schoolmates in colts.

"He hardly ever gets tackled by the first defender, he’s extremely strong, has great footwork, he’s a big man.

"I think his game will translate well to rugby league, just in the sense that a lot of that is a one-on-one battle or a two-on-one battle, and you don’t have to worry about running shape, it’s just a battle of who is better.

“Depending on whether they play him in the centres or on the edge out at the Tigers, he’s going to be very hard to stop with another year of growing.”

Tupou is the latest Whites youngster to kick onto higher honours after Brendan Jimenez, Zeph Tuinona and Tony Alofipo took opportunities in Japan, while Jed Stuart is touring abroad with the Australian sevens rugby team and Fred Kaihea has signed with the Brumbies.

“He’s probably the quietest person I’ve ever met, especially for someone who has always been touted as a big deal with a big future,” French said.

"All through his schooling career he was always going to be something special. But there’s no ego, he’s quiet, really reserved. He’s actually a bit of an enigma, he’s quite hard to unpack and get to know.

“To be honest, I’m proud of him for taking the opportunity in a new city away from here because he is so shy, I’m sure it’ll be a big challenge for him.”

--------------------

Going to be an interesting watch this guy. Ive sussed a few school boy highlights of him and the kids a monster but also moves very well. He reminds me of Stephen Crighton however is already a lot thicker set. In no way am I saying I expect him to have the same sort of impact as SC, however the athleticism looks to be there. If the club has signed him for 3 years there is clearly big plans in place.
Thanks for sharing. Good read.

Hard not to get excited but we'll probably work out where stand after an NRL trial or two.

I know the club officials have said he will need a year or so in reggies to develop however there are some exceptions to this. Will Pensini played the finals at right centre for the Eels and was amazing. He is 18.

I hope the signing removes any lingering chance of the Jet being offered a contract for '22.
There might be scope for one experienced centre/winger to round out the squad but its not him.

Tigerm

First Grade
Just looking at some photos on Instagram of some WT’s doing a hospital visit, Tamou looks fit? I haven’t seen much of him in preseason shots, hope he has a big year for us?DB84FF39-72F9-44E7-94B3-DFF1D874FE4C.jpeg

Last edited:

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors

Yep, I definitely questioned why I support this footy club a lot more than usual this year.

Tigerm

First Grade
This just in on WT’s site, looks like still 2 required, the JTJ rumour is just that, at this stage? Though the list is not new?

PLAYERCONTRACT
Shawn Blore20222023
Luke Brooks20222023
Adam Doueihi20222023
Luke Garner2022
Oliver Gildart20222023
Jackson Hastings20222023
Reece Hoffman2022
William Kei2022
Asu Kepaoa20222023
**Apisai Koroisau202320242025 (MO)
Daine Laurie20222023
Luciano Leilua2022
Jacob Liddle20222023
Jock Madden2022
Ken Maumalo20222023
Thomas Mikaele2022
Zane Musgrove202220232024
David Nofoaluma2022202320242025
Joe Ofahengaue20222023
**Isaiah Papali'i202320242025
Tyrone Peachey20222023
Alex Seyfarth20222023
Jake Simpkin202220232024
Tuki Simpkins20222023
Tommy Talau2022
James Tamou2022
Kelma Tuilagi2022
Junior Tupou202220232024
Alex Twal202220232024
Stefano Utoikamanu20222023
Henry O'Kane (Development)2022
Apisalome Saukuru (Development)20222023
Brandon Tumeth (Development)2022
** Player currently at another club

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Have to say, as time has gone by, although not optimistic about our chances, I am less pessimistic than i was in late October. I feel like we have had some good signings, some not for 22 but for 23, but thats ok. To me the 22 season will be for the team to show they can coordinate and play as a team and not give up the ghost. With the new assistant coaches, plus Sheens, I reckon Maguire will have the support needed, plus lets face it, pressure on him to get the teams act together. If he cant do it this year, yes players will be gone, but so will he.

The team playing as a team and not giving up will be a good win for me. IT will still allow me to say with pride Im a WT supporter and a rusted on old ex Magpie one too. There were more than a few times in 21 that I didnt even join in the footy discussions during the week as my team embarrassed me. I at least hope they were embarrassed too and want to do better in 22.

stryker

First Grade
Saw Tamou during the break.
He is looking jacked.
His mrs is a stunner, but her sister is smoking hot.

The Rosco

Bench
That'd be a real bummer . . . having your wife's sister being a much better sort.
You'd feel gipped.
Years ago in the A league, I think it might have been Adelaide that signed Ross Aloisi ( the famous John's brother).
After just 2 games, their crowd started singing "we got the wrong Aloisi . . . we got the wrong Aloisi . . . . got the wrong Aloii-isi, we got the wrong Aloisi" The tune is some Mexican song that I used to call " one tonne of merda"
Back to the sexier sister than your Mrs . . . . I guess at least it would give you something to think about . . . . . .