What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prediction poll - who will get the 18th team?

Who will be the 18th NRL team?

• Brisbane Firehawks

• Brisbane Jets

• Brisbane other bid (including merged Firehawks/Jets - please specify)

• Perth

• Wellington

• Christchurch

• The Bears

• Other (Please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Stop reading this dribble after this line.

Anyone can complain they know people more in the know than people on here to back up a point. I haven’t entertained this in conversation since I was a junior in high school.
I was simply saying that after doing some research and having some discussions with them I'm more informed and confident in my opinion than I was before. Not that I'm right because a handful of people I know/got put in contact with whom work/worked in the NZ sports industry support it.

Anyhow, with or without their opinions on the subject yours was so baseless that it doesn't stand up to basic criticism. You are basically suggesting that for NZ the NRL should follow the ARU's initial model for Super Rugby clubs of having teams that represent whole states/territories, and look how that turned out...

Pippen94

First Grade
Nobody said that they would... In fact one of the major points of my posts was that no matter what you call the teams you aren't going to get masses of people from multiple of the major markets in NZ supporting a couple of teams that don't directly represent their market once you break the Warriors monopoly on all of NZ.

Got it confirmed by a few people much more in the know of than either of us ever will be.

What they said was that Auckland vs the rest is an overly simplistic way of putting it, but that everyone outside of Auckland wanting to get one over Auckland is definitely a major cultural force in NZ.

That though North Island vs South Island could hypothetically work as a rep game similar to SOO, that having them as the two NZ clubs in an Australian comp would be the equivalent of an NZ comp creating a singular team called "Eastern Seaboard" to represent all of NSW, Victoria, and Queensland, and expecting people from Melbourne, Sydney, and Brisbane, to support them en masse... In other words, the idea is a fanciful pipedream at best.

They also supported my suspicion that if you did create NI and SI teams that market pressures would inevitably force them to become de facto Auckland and Christchurch teams in practice.

Besides that they also said that unlike in a lot of countries where there are strong rivalries between cities that sports can easily capitalise on, that there isn't really a money rivalry in NZ sport generally speaking, and that in NZ the biggest rivalry really depends on the history within the sport, on the success of teams at the time, and other factors as well.

That for the most part Wellington is a bit of graveyard for pro-sport in NZ, and that even by NZ standards Wellington sides are often shaky prospects commercially and tend to be poorly supported per capita, but again there are outliers and it depends on individual circumstances.

Finally they said that if the NRL is serious about taking a significant slice of market share from the NZRU, and truly challenging the All Blacks, that it'd require market coverage and that will require more than two teams, that breaking the current monopoly but allowing the duopoly to become the status quo in the way that the Warriors monopoly did would badly hurt that endeavour, and that branding practices like having a "New Zealand" team, or NI and SI teams for that matter, slowly reduce it's target audience as new clubs are introduced would alienate people.

In other words if the NRL are serious about the NZ market then they need to be prepared to bring clubs into most of the major markets in quick succession after the second club is introduced, and that no matter what they do changing the Warriors brand to represent smaller regions will inevitably alienate portions of their fan base, particularly amongst those that resides outside of Auckland, and the NRL will have to accept that outcome if it's ever to grow in NZ.

Trust me the ppl I know are more knowledgeable than the ppl you know & they say the opposite..

Perth Red

Post Whore
Please make it happen!

Adding the Bayside Derby between Wynnum vs Redcliffe to the NRL would be ace.
Yeh because we want to repeat Sydney's suburban mess lol. I mean that approach has worked so will in Sydney why wouldn't Brisbane copy it? 12k crowds in suburban stadiums, yipeee.

Yeh because we want to repeat Sydney's suburban mess lol. I mean that approach has worked so will in Sydney why wouldn't Brisbane copy it? 12k crowds in suburban stadiums, yipeee.
We can always send the Broncos to Perth to make way for Wynnum. West Coast Broncos has a good ring to it, representing the barren landscape that makes up Western Australia.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We can always send the Broncos to Perth to make way for Wynnum. West Coast Broncos has a good ring to it, representing the barren landscape that makes up Western Australia.
Yeh move the games only big club and replace it with small suburban clubs who only exist because of pokies. You know it makes sense lol.

Pippen94

First Grade

Hasn't hurt broadcast deal which is biggest source of revenue. Four Brisbane games a week would be huge draw up north.

It is unfortunate. Is there another animal synonymous with WA?
Quokkas, as animals, are way more synonymous in WAWA Land than Pirates. I mean Pirates are humans, humans are animals, and Fuxking Pirates were way more abundant in other places on Earth.
You could try Whale Shark if an animal that is in that area can compare.
And do not bring The Sharks into this debate, I'm obviously taking the piss, for obvious fuxking reasons.
Western Reds was a fine name.

Quokkas, as animals, are way more synonymous in WAWA Land than Pirates. I mean Pirates are humans, humans are animals, and Fuxking Pirates were way more abundant in other places on Earth.
You could try Whale Shark if an animal that is in that area can compare.
And do not bring The Sharks into this debate, I'm obviously taking the piss, for obvious fuxking reasons.
Western Reds was a fine name.
That's a ripper idea you have about whale sharks!

PVL should send Cronulla off to Perth with a tweak to their logo so it represents a whale shark.

You're a legend!

Latest posts